Drastic variation between finish amongst same strain? Opinions

Always a chance of multiple phenotypes of a Strain, if not bred very well can have a whole bunch of them. Genetics like that ;) same as if you had 3 siblings one might take after grandpa one on other side of the family and one of out left field ancestor trait that hasn't been in family for awhile. I would imagine a Strain like that there is multiple breeders out their with that Strain, and probably a few of the pollen chucker kind of places that not really a breeder ;) as everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Sounds like you got two Indica dominant which that Strain supposed to be and two Sativa leaning harder ladies.

@Regrowth So in example those two were same pack of seeds, similar structure and growing but two totally different color schemes going. Both had same taste and effect to me, as wasn't any other noticeable difference other than color of the buds.

Beautiful colors, @Dwight Monk. I dig the purple and orange fade.

Off topic...
Not sure if it's just me but variability triggers my OCD.
Thousands of strains to pick from? phenotypical variation?
If I buy a strain in one city it should be the same in another.
If I talk about a cross with someone we should be talking about the same thing...
But it's not like that. And yes, I'm ranting a bit.

Regardless, If Canada had a clone market like the U.S does at dispensaries then I'd be growing those more than seeds. Choices other people made... what's a keeper or not - what's the best representation of a particular cross... and to go through the trouble of sourcing and preservation of those selections. It's not like I can pheno hunt at large scale to make reasonable selections myself nor can I keep a vast collection.

phenotypical variation?
If I buy a strain in one city it should be the same in another.
If I talk about a cross with someone we should be talking about the same thing...
But it's not like that. And yes, I'm ranting a bit.

Regardless, If Canada had a clone market like the U.S does at dispensaries then I'd be growing those more than seeds. Choices other people made... what's a keeper or not - what's the best representation of a particular cross... and to go through the trouble of sourcing and preservation of those selections. It's not like I can pheno hunt at large scale to make reasonable selections myself nor can I keep a vast collection.

You're not going to get identical twins even if you get seeds all from the same plant. You've only got about a 1 in 250 chance of getting them out of your wife.

If you want all your plants to be the same, take cuttings. It's simple, easy, and only adds a month, give or take. A lot of people take a cutting from each plant they grow, root it, and keep it alive (merely keeping a small plant alive requires very few resources) until after they have the opportunity to sample the cured bud. That way, if they stumble upon something special, they can continue to grow it for years. Plus, they can keep the best of what they just grew, discard the rest, grow some others, keep the best of those plus the original candidate, rinse/lather/repeat, and continue to improve their choice of "keeper(s)."

Or you can grow an inbred strain (not a F1 hybrid), such as Serious Seeds' Bubble Gum. They will mostly be very similar to each other. But still not identical. . . .

That was my argument. That clones are valuable for consistency or uniformity... but by being a small recreational grower I don't have the ability to do meaningful selections for them nor do I really want to. What I think is a keeper might not be a good representation of the strain it was meant to represent - and likely not true to what the breeder bred for (assuming breeders even test their crosses anymore). And even then, a pheno I select isn't going to same as one you select... it's just more variation.

You know, people can shun someone selling clones all they want but I think it's better for the ecosystem and the consumers. But hey, we're legal here and somehow still lack a way to purchase clones on the recreational market or even a way to purchase seeds beyond the few the monopoly guys okayed.

Yeah tough to do your own hunting if where you at has a limit of like 4 plants like the do here for Rec in Oregon......drawback on Clones is you can bring bugs unknowingly into your grow area and won't know until it is too late. Last two times I got a Clone from elsewhere and fought fungus gnats thru the grow (not sure I can for sure say it was the Clones but a variable I can control anyway). Was doing ok cloning my own and then not sure what happened yet but last 30 over couple years never took off or the started roots and then died, maybe I just need new cloning gel stuff.

30 cuttings failed to root? In a row?

Yeah, you need to get a new... something. You could just about better that average by throwing them out a window.

I generally assume that people remove - using a sterile device - just enough cloning gel/powder/elf-snot for the batch they're working on, instead of dipping them directly into the container. But... is that how you do it? I'm wondering if it got contaminated somehow. Microbial life of some sort. Or maybe russet mites, which could probably live in a nutritious cloning gel, since they seem to be able to overwinter just fine in a package of cannabis seeds.

Next time the spirit moves you, throw that stuff away and try dropping one into a glass of water and sticking the glass on your kitchen windowsill (helps to change the water every few days... apparently (Mom would disagree ;) )). Or do a web search for "air layering," which is practically guaranteed, if you don't make your initial cuts around and up the stem too deep. Or bend a branch down far enough to bury part of it in an adjacent container filled with soil. After a while, it will probably grow roots into the soil - although it is still technically part of its mother plant at that point, and should not affect your plant numbers, if you're in the habit of inviting people in from the state government to count them. After it has produced a root system, simply cut the thing free from the mother plant, and there ya go.

30 cuttings failed to root? In a row?

Not sure if that many but it felt like it ;) .... yeah I hearing that where I went wrong, along with it being cloning gel from like 5 years ago :rofl: but I went from want 2 so I will cut six and six root to cut 6 and none ever make it all the way. I have so many seeds there is always something to grow, I just kick myself when I get a good one and don't have any clones of her made up (hindsight and all that rot ;)).

Not sure if that many but it felt like it ;) .... yeah I hearing that where I went wrong, along with it being cloning gel from like 5 years ago :rofl: but I went from want 2 so I will cut six and six root to cut 6 and none ever make it all the way. I have so many seeds there is always something to grow, I just kick myself when I get a good one and don't have any clones of her made up (hindsight and all that rot ;)).
Try raw honey. Works way better than cloning gel and tastes pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom