Dried out too quickly: Can I fix it now it's already dried?

Janie1973

I dried out my buds on a heat mat over night its dried out very quickly and doesnt smell as good has it now affected the quality of the bud if so can i fix

I'm afraid to ask why you did that.
Anyway, it's hard to put moisture back in. But if you hurry up & jar it there will probably still be moisure in the center of the buds. Put it in a jar & leave it for 2 days & then check to see if it moistened up some. If it's wet, leave the lid off for an hour or 2. If it's still dry.... it probably wont moisten up.

Next time yo want to quick dry.... just do a couple buds. Put the buds in a paper bag & set it on top your grow light or something like that. About once an hour give the bag a shake. In 2-3 hours it should be dry enough to smoke.
It will still taste green / like hay. You have to cure it in jars for about a month to get the good smell & taste.

Drying to fast traps chlorophyll & other pigments in the flower leading to the smell of hay, taste etc how ever, i do not think it effects the THC or CBD.

You may need think about the Slow Air Dry process :thumb:

This takes 10 to 14 days on average dried around 60% relative humidity around 20c or 68f.

Yup that is controlled process if you can pull it off.

Not sure just how much is meant by "dried out my buds on a heat mat" but if it is just enough to roll a couple of joints then do not worry about it. But, if it is an ounce or the entire harvest then you have your work cut out for you as the saying goes.

About half of the time putting the dry buds and a humidity pack in a glass jar with a well fitting lid might work after a day or two or maybe as long as a week. Suggestion is to have a few humidity packs, each with a different percentage. Use the higher ones, maybe a 72% to start off, and then as the moisture returns switch to a 65% and then a day or two later switch out and put in a 58% or 62%. If it works you will have something better than over dried out buds but it will never be as good as if the buds had been dried a bit slower. At best I give this method a 50/50 chance of working.

For the future my recommendation is to find the thread on this message board that talks about how to use the Paper Bag in the Refrigerator Slow Dry method. Also, plan ahead and have several Mason or canning jars with lids and rings ready for the curing steps.

I picked up the following tip from a couple of the people here who are very experienced when it comes to drying and curing. When harvesting the buds off of the plant cut several twigs or stems to about 4 to 6 inch lengths and put them in a plastic zip-lock baggie and put that in the freezer. These can be used to control the humidity levels during the cure stage instead of the humidity packs. If the buds seem dry then put a stick or two into each jar and seal back up. Check the next day and remove a stick or two if the moisture seems to have recovered. If not, leave the sticks in and close up the jar for another day. I do not feel that the strain matters so I now have a small baggie of sticks from several different plants just for this purpose.

All this reminds me to go to the closet to get out the latest batch that had finished drying in early July and have been curing in jars for about 5 weeks now. I am back and the cure is going along just fine. The jar lids are off and the buds are 'burbing'. Going to have to look up what others have done with vacuum sealing and maybe give that a try.

What I have read curing stops at around 55% RH, if they drier than that won't matter if you put moisture back into them somehow it won't cure anymore (and the smell taste won't really improve much or at all in my experience anyway). Like much of the hobby patience is needed in all phases, trying to do things fast or skip parts will usually bite you in the backside.

What I have read curing stops at around 55% RH, if they drier than that won't matter if you put moisture back into them somehow it won't cure anymore (and the smell taste won't really improve much or at all in my experience anyway). Like much of the hobby patience is needed in all phases, trying to do things fast or skip parts will usually bite you in the backside.
Yes, I have read the same about the cure not being there the plants were allowed to dry for longer than they should have.

My belief is that there is still hope if the over-dry stage is caught in time. A fair amount of moisture seems to be left in the stems even if the leaves and buds are dry and crunchy. If the user gets the buds into a jar soon enough there could be enough in the stems that it will help stabilize the flower moisture and the humidity and the cure can continue. Every day that the grower holds off on getting the dry weed into the jars the less moisture left in the stems, the harder it will be. Eventually nothing will make up for the delay.

And, yes, nothing beats being patient when it comes to growing any plant.

Back
Top Bottom