Droopy's First Grow - Soil - Blue Himalaya Auto & +Speed Auto - 2017

How large of a exhaust fan are you using?

I was having heat build up problems until I upgraded my fan to a 6" 334 variable speed fan. I leave one of the flaps open at the bottom of my tent and there is enough negative pressure pulling in fresh air to keep it at about 5 degrees F over the ambient temperature in the garage where I grow.

Damn it!!!!! It's a 4" 210cfm that I just picked up because I figured it would be enough!!! I wasn't planning on getting into this hobby as much as I am. I already had one 4" for my small veg cab and I was just going to move it over but I figured I would just pick up another in case one would break down. I have all 3 flaps open. But the room is pretty stuffy because the exhaust is just circulating in the room. I can get another 6" in a few weeks but do you think exhausting into the crawl space would help?

And thank you for the input. As much as I hate it because it means I need to spend more money!!!! Oh I also have a small 4" inline pushing air into the tent. And if I buy a bigger fan that means I will need a bigger scrubber!!!! FUCK!!! This one is only rated for 300cfm.

Hmm.. my tent is in my garage and I suck air in from the garage and blow it back out into the Garage. I do have the advantage that if it was hot out I would crack the garage door and pull in cool air at night time. How warm is your ambient temps in the room the tent is located? For sure exhausting the vent outside the room will help. I also ran my lights from 12:00 Midnight to 12 Noon to take care of the natural cool temps outside.

The fan I got has a variable speed control on it and I run it on the lowest setting so no really sure what that equates to.

The good news is that when I replaced my original 4 inch fan with the 6" I kept my 4" air filter. I just purchased a 6" to 4" flange. It worked without problems.

Got my new light in so I think I'm good for this tent. Right now it has 400 actual watts running a Viparspectra 450 (more blue spectrum) and a Meihzi 450 (better red spectrum) if I put more than 4 plants in there I will also add in the 300w (150 actual) led in the middle to get me up to 550 watts. Girls are looking good on day 33. Nova is scheduled to harvest in just 2 weeks so I will be giving her last nute feeding in a few days and then let the leaves feed her for awhile. Angelina is still putting on some height and is now 1'1" which is surprising since she is only in the one gallon pot. I figured she would stall out around 10". But I guess "let it grow"!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Angelina from the top
420-magazine-mobile1271930078.jpg

Angelina profile putting on that stretch
420-magazine-mobile1460585142.jpg

Nova stacking up nicely
420-magazine-mobile411556405.jpg

Day 34 pics. Everything is going well but the new light in the tent is definitely causing a temp struggle. With being below 30f in my location I have to have a fan in the window of the room. The room temperature is around 78f the tent is getting up to 85 at top cola. I'm going to first try to exhaust into the crawl space. Then if that doesn't work I will be purchasing a 6" exhaust fan with 4" to 6" adapters like Troy had mentioned. I most likely will just get a bigger filter as well but I'm trying to hold off till Cyber Monday for an Amazon sale. Thanks for stopping by.

Angelina grow another inch yesterday 1'2"
420-magazine-mobile463045700.jpg

Angelina top cola
420-magazine-mobile990977677.jpg

Nova is starting to look like one big fat bud!!
420-magazine-mobile549017013.jpg

Nova top cola getting frosty!!
420-magazine-mobile2143216544.jpg

Re: Droopy's First Grow - Soil - Blue Himalaya Auto & +Speed Auto - 2017

Thank you gentlemen!!! So tonight I adjusted some things in the room. I was having issues with temperatures since I installed the second light. The tent was sitting right around 85f which I'm still not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Everything I read says 75f is perfect but there is alot of info out there suggesting that when using led lights the room should be 83-85 due to something with uv. But then again that could be for the old led lights that didn't use ir and uv lights...... So anyway I feel that 85 is too hot so I went and bought a piece of plywood and 25 foot of 4" duct. I now have the exhaust going into the crawl space on the side of the house. I am a bit worried about the crawl space getting mold and what not , but if you apply that same thinking wouldn't you have to worry about the room that it was exhausting into if I didn't run it to the crawl space? Anyway I just have the plywood held in place with 4 screws so I can keep an eye on it easy enough. So before doing this the ambient room temp was 79f and the intake fan was just pulling in warm air and so was the passive air. When I walked into the room it felt like an oven compared to the rest of the house. Also when I unzipped the tent it was very warm edging on hot!! So now the ambient room temp is 73f, which is the house heat considering the rest of the second floor is the same temp. The tent is running at 80f. The best thing now is I can keep the door closed to the room. I don't have a fan running pulling in cold air and the biggest thing that I hope will happen is that I will not have to water my girls as much, they were drooping after 24 hours!!! And no I'm not using that ona gel in the room, it is sealed I use it on a shelf right outside the room door.
420-magazine-mobile1144583160.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1921048407.jpg

Re: Droopy's First Grow - Soil - Blue Himalaya Auto & +Speed Auto - 2017

Thank you gentlemen!!! So tonight I adjusted some things in the room. I was having issues with temperatures since I installed the second light. The tent was sitting right around 85f which I'm still not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Everything I read says 75f is perfect but there is alot of info out there suggesting that when using led lights the room should be 83-85 due to something with uv. But then again that could be for the old led lights that didn't use ir and uv lights...... So anyway I feel that 85 is too hot so I went and bought a piece of plywood and 25 foot of 4" duct. I now have the exhaust going into the crawl space on the side of the house. I am a bit worried about the crawl space getting mold and what not , but if you apply that same thinking wouldn't you have to worry about the room that it was exhausting into if I didn't run it to the crawl space? Anyway I just have the plywood held in place with 4 screws so I can keep an eye on it easy enough. So before doing this the ambient room temp was 79f and the intake fan was just pulling in warm air and so was the passive air. When I walked into the room it felt like an oven compared to the rest of the house. Also when I unzipped the tent it was very warm edging on hot!! So now the ambient room temp is 73f, which is the house heat considering the rest of the second floor is the same temp. The tent is running at 80f. The best thing now is I can keep the door closed to the room. I don't have a fan running pulling in cold air and the biggest thing that I hope will happen is that I will not have to water my girls as much, they were drooping after 24 hours!!! And no I'm not using that ona gel in the room, it is sealed I use it on a shelf right outside the room door.

Your plants look good, by rerouting your exhaust outside the room you won't be pulling the heat back in the tent. 80 degrees is ok depending on what your RH is in the tent, right now you want to keep it in the 30-35% range.

I don't know when you are cycling your lights, in my case I am running 10 pm to 10 am and that made a world of difference with the flower room temps, lights on is running in the lower 70's and lights off in the lower 60's with 30-35% RH.

Getting everything dialed in is the hardest on the first grow, it looks like you are on the right track!:goodjob:

Thank you for your kind words and for the info. I need to get a humidity reader yet..... It's bad that I don't have one already but it's on the list. Right now my lights are running 18/6 because they are autos. And the lights are going from 5am to 11pm which is probably the coolest time in the house. I live in the US east coast and it's about 20f right now! My house temperatures are lowest while I'm at work and when I'm sleeping. I work from 11am-7pm and I wake up at 10am so the heat is set to 65f at those times and 68f when I'm home.

Thank you for your kind words and for the info. I need to get a humidity reader yet..... It's bad that I don't have one already but it's on the list. Right now my lights are running 18/6 because they are autos. And the lights are going from 5am to 11pm which is probably the coolest time in the house. I live in the US east coast and it's about 20f right now! My house temperatures are lowest while I'm at work and when I'm sleeping. I work from 11am-7pm and I wake up at 10am so the heat is set to 65f at those times and 68f when I'm home.

A basic RH meter is about $10-12.00 and will give you an idea how it is in the tent, sounds like it may be a little low if you are needing to water in soil so soon, but now that you have your exhaust directed out, that RH may come up some. Bud rot is the biggest concern in flower, things can go sideways fast if its too high.

A cheap in-line duct booster fan connected to your lower tent sleeve works well to help keep the temps down especially if your control room is at a lower temp than the tent. Blocking or controlling the temps in that room to keep it as close to 65 degrees is what you want if you can...not as hard to do in the winter but becomes more of a challenge in the hot summer months.

I kind of have a similar set-up to yours, its in my basement and the flower/veg room is with-in a controlled room keeping the smells out of the rest of the house. My veg/flower room is completely sealed from the room it is in, the only air going in to the grow room is through a fan assisted filtered opening...I did this mainly to keep the bugs out but I am finding out it has many other benefits like reduced noise, smells, and better temp/humidity control.

You are welcome to take a look at my journal, in the first few pages I have some photos and descriptions of "The Room", it may help you dial in for your next grow which looks like it is coming along nicely.:thumb:

I will do that!! Thanks!! I do have a 4" inline running into my bottom duct hole. I do have a fan in the window that I can draw really cold air in but the problem is that when I'm not home I don't want that fan running and it get too cold!! Also I would have to remember to shut it off at night before bed or it will get that room below freezing in an hour because the house thermostat is on the first floor and room is on the second. I tried putting it on a timer but unfortunately the fan I have does not turn back on when the timer activates. I have to pick up some hygrometers for curing soon anyway so might as well use the old Amazon and I will have them in a few days.

I will do that!! Thanks!! I do have a 4" inline running into my bottom duct hole. I do have a fan in the window that I can draw really cold air in but the problem is that when I'm not home I don't want that fan running and it get too cold!! Also I would have to remember to shut it off at night before bed or it will get that room below freezing in an hour because the house thermostat is on the first floor and room is on the second. I tried putting it on a timer but unfortunately the fan I have does not turn back on when the timer activates. I have to pick up some hygrometers for curing soon anyway so might as well use the old Amazon and I will have them in a few days.

On-line is fun...but can be expensive!:laughtwo:

I just shut the heating vent going into the control room and it is a 10 degrees difference from the rest of the house, that way I don't have to freeze my ass off just for the plants!

Back
Top Bottom