As you have done, and as nivek points out, it makes sense, when droughting that we need to be flexible as to how the plant is responding and adjust accordingly. Kaplan's study was in his conditions where temps/humidity/container would be unique to his grow. There are presumably various approaches yet to be evaluated, which makes it exciting.

I have had the pleasure of having real droughted buds. They were inadvertently droughted, but they remain the best smoke I have yet grown. Last year, I decided to take care of the soil by keeping the worms that lived there happy with regular waterings. The plants and resulting buds grew nice and gave a nice effect, but I was left a little curious when I compared to the previous year's grow of which I had purposively semi droughted in the later half of flowering. I had felt those buds may have been more potent than last year's non droughted grow.

But that first plant that grew droughted every hot day of summer in it's too small ceramic pot on a hot stone balcony, it's buds remain my best. It was a gnarly plant that gave less than 2oz, but truely wonderful, everyone who tried it commented so.

For growing outdoors, when it comes to droughting there is the occurence of natural rain to add to the equation. It seems we have to do enough to trigger that response and keep it going for a period to get the effects and then get it safely on to harvest. But yes, the different potential variations allow mouthwatering thoughts of how improved the potency could become.

I hope this makes some sense, it could now be the edible I took a while ago that is talking. :ganjamon:
Rain water brings lots of benefits to the table.

You know I love you Charlie!!!

Hey Fish! Thanks for dropping your personal droughting experiences here!! It is greatly appreciated! Have to agree with you on the no need to poo-poo on th idea philosophy!

Where did you first hear of droughting and what convinced you to try a version for yourself?

What has been your experience with different strains as you had noted?
Hi krissi, I read the cloning experiments from dr Kaplan and that led to reading the drought experiments. I had to read it a few times to understand his methodology and timing. I came here and found @Maritimer was working with the information too.
It’s not new news that hemp that experiences drought will produce a “hot” crop. Dry land farming produces better tasting fruits and also increases the resin of herbs. It’s a no-brainer.

Hi krissi, I read the cloning experiments from dr Kaplan and that led to reading the drought experiments. I had to read it a few times to understand his methodology and timing. I came here and found @Maritimer was working with the information too.
It’s not new news that hemp that experiences drought will produce a “hot” crop. Dry land farming produces better tasting fruits and also increases the resin of herbs. It’s a no-brainer.
Hey Fish,

Got all the information I have through Maritimer! Nice to see that someone has such an understanding mind to the concept and can readily see the science behind it through its similarities with dry land farming! I'm excited to have yet another perspective on this!

I’m going to try this but I’m going to wait for a long flowering Sativa grow. Reasoning is so I’ll have a large yield with some extra weeks to play with…
Woo-hoo! You will literally see and feel the difference I guarantee it!
And are equatorial varieties more drought resistant I wonder?
I have heard from several people chiming in that have done some type of droughting in the past, that the drought time is strain specific. I would just assume that it is based off of the plants overall fitness which I am sure has part to do with it'd origin and genetics...I don't know any studies that go into strain specifics regarding droughting. I've went the full 11 days and I have stopped at 8 days based off of wilting. I've trichome checked during the drought as well and have had to stop because they have matured during that time, so that is also something to look out for...

I read and saw a video recently about how the trichomes swell during the drought (its on here a couple pages back) and to harvest once they do rather than go by coloring to harvest....something to think about moving forward, too...
Rain water brings lots of benefits to the table.

That is a very good point, Fudo

So in my droughts I find the plant and it's pot size will determine the length of drought. Possibly veg time also. Revved up rootage in small pots will get it done sooner than a more casually grown one. By that I mean if I let a 10 gallon pot veg a 3 gallon pot up for 3 weeks vs 1 or 2. Like that. The lack of turgid (wilting to the correct angle) determines that the plant is doing her thing and I water (I'm in LOS so that's my fertigation). Most plants make it back to normal looking yet sad but living condition, some perfect. I've had them look both brand new, and ridden hard and put away wet, and successful at both "looks". Cheers! :roorrip:

So in my droughts I find the plant and it's pot size will determine the length of drought. Possibly veg time also. Revved up rootage in small pots will get it done sooner than a more casually grown one. By that I mean if I let a 10 gallon pot veg a 3 gallon pot up for 3 weeks vs 1 or 2. Like that. The lack of turgid (wilting to the correct angle) determines that the plant is doing her thing and I water (I'm in LOS so that's my fertigation). Most plants make it back to normal looking yet sad but living condition, some perfect. I've had them look both brand new, and ridden hard and put away wet, and successful at both "looks". Cheers! :roorrip:
Awesome thank you Otter!!!

another key piece of info from the study,, least for me,, about the importance of the length of time for the drought

''no observable differences in plant appearance between control and drought groups until the drought treatment was without fertigation for ≈9 d.

From 9 d without fertigation to harvest, plants under drought treatment showed signs of veinal chlorosis on older leaves and, to a lesser extent, newly formed leaves on the entire plant. Wilting was observed after 11 d''

it's like an exponential curve,, first thirty percent of the curve near nothing happens,, mid third of the curve shite begins to happen,, and the last third the curve is pointing near straight up,, rapid changes

right now , with my hempy, i am thinking some kind of heavy hands on reduced watering for the drought,, somehow

i have near about one hundred days to think about it tho,, thats when i will have two near identical plants to play with, ready to drought

Sounds interesting to me. I see that all this is happening near harvest, I had an unintentional drought situation that lasted a couple of weeks at the beginning of flip. Flood and Drain method. It was caused by a mechanical timer and a slow witted grower:rolleyes: , Part of my daily checks included turning the timer to "on" and verifying pump flow. The pump was working but didn't kick on when it was in timed mode so all the water they were getting was when I turned the timer on during my daily checks. The plants looked terribly wilted. I finally figured it out and replaced the timer. The plants seemed to recover and all went fine until they started ripening about 20 days early. They had hermied, but looked very nice. I never saw the banana. The smoke was weak but I got a lot of seeds. I grew one outside this year and it seemed normal given I don't have a decent sunny spot to grow.

Durban 56d.jpg

D63 VII harvest (3).JPG

it's like an exponential curve,, first thirty percent of the curve near nothing happens,, mid third of the curve shite begins to happen,, and the last third the curve is pointing near straight up,, rapid changes
Yes, I can attest to this from personal experience. First few days, you won't see much then it flips, when she is thinking oh crap, and turbo boosters go on...have to be weary of when to turn that off so we can make a smooth landing so to speak

right now , with my hempy, i am thinking some kind of heavy hands on reduced watering for the drought,, somehow
I don't know much about hempy but I know it won't take much to elicit a response
i have near about one hundred days to think about it tho,, thats when i will have two near identical plants to play with, ready to drought
I have heard now from so many people how they have been droughting for upwards of 20 years, following in lines of normal cropping styles. It was only a matter of time before it was done to cannabis....think we have been waiting far too long...knowing that this is a practice that has been done way before any papers or scientific studies were done makes me even more proud to be a part of this movement towards true medicinal grade cannabis

Sounds interesting to me. I see that all this is happening near harvest, I had an unintentional drought situation that lasted a couple of weeks at the beginning of flip. Flood and Drain method. It was caused by a mechanical timer and a slow witted grower:rolleyes: , Part of my daily checks included turning the timer to "on" and verifying pump flow. The pump was working but didn't kick on when it was in timed mode so all the water they were getting was when I turned the timer on during my daily checks. The plants looked terribly wilted. I finally figured it out and replaced the timer. The plants seemed to recover and all went fine until they started ripening about 20 days early. They had hermied, but looked very nice. I never saw the banana. The smoke was weak but I got a lot of seeds. I grew one outside this year and it seemed normal given I don't have a decent sunny spot to grow.

Durban 56d.jpg

D63 VII harvest (3).JPG
They look beautiful, I don't like that they hermied but that was a lot of days of stress on them! Haven't had one shim on me yet using a loose approach and following protocols. I want to note exact days I start seeing things so today is day 2 of drought for my G, we will see what happens next few days as I have yet to actually document any droughting notes in the past

The time frame to kick in the response in soil vs hempy have to be very different. My theory is that in soil, there are lots of little pockets of moisture so the roots can search them all out and the draught response is somewhat delayed while this is happening. In a straight perlite Hempy this phase happens much quicker.

Only after the medium gets to a certain low moisture content does the true drought response kick in.

But, maybe the slower more prolonged and drawn out drying of soil is a benefit somehow? Maybe like the difference between slow and fast drying your bud?

My two cents:
I think it would be helpful for the first post to be a 'how-to' on how to do it. I understand wanting to delve deep into the theory and all, but we're nine pages in and still no guide. There was a short overview a page or two back, but I'm looking more for the detail and pics consolidated into one post.

I know a couple of members here have that buried in their grow threads, but putting it here in what could become the defining draughting thread for this technique would sure be helpful.

Maybe one of the practitioners could write it up with pics and ask the mods to insert it at the beginning.

The time frame to kick in the response in soil vs hempy have to be very different. My theory is that in soil, there are lots of little pockets of moisture so the roots can search them all out and the draught response is somewhat delayed while this is happening. In a straight perlite hempy this phase happens much quicker.

Only after the medium gets to a certain low moisture content does the true drought response kick in.

But, maybe the slower more prolonged and drawn out drying of soil is a benefit somehow? Maybe like the difference between slow and fast drying your bud?
Hi Az and HNY,
The slow and gentle drought is most beneficial. I run Pro-Mix HP and can always go at least 8 days before the LWA (wilt) is 50% greater than original turgid readings. The cultivar needs a bit of time to prepare (synthesize) the stressed cannabinoids.

Like your idea :love:

My two cents:
I think it would be helpful for the first post to be a 'how-to' on how to do it. I understand wanting to delve deep into the theory and all, but we're nine pages in and still no guide. There was a short overview a page or two back, but I'm looking more for the detail and pics consolidated into one post.

I know a couple of members here have that buried in their grow threads, but putting it here in what could become the defining draughting thread for this technique would sure be helpful.

Maybe one of the practitioners could write it up with pics and ask the mods to insert it at the beginning.
Hey Az..appreciate your input on hempy..
My apologies for not having the how to diagram out here in the front of the thread. As I noted, I started the thread to begin talking about droughting as a whole not to delve into the process of how to do it. It's been touched upon here but I didn't want to throw it out in the mix yet until everyone understood the plant dynamics.

I didn't start the thread solely with the purpose of telling people how to drought. I began the thread to educate everyone on how a plant receives this particular stressor and what it does to protect and/or better itself in the process.

I felt as if personal testimonies and active conversation prior to the "formula" if you wish was a fantastic Segway wherein through all of the predecessing texts, we have all collectively built proper verbiage and dialect when discussing it. We can further and better discuss the why's and the what ifs and the ever so common, well I don't knows....

I myself, as noted previously, am still finishing up my own reading and not taking on the process so I can be of better assistance once discussing it. I'm a new grower, starting only in June, so I wanted to be sure to familiarize myself with the mountain of information I was given as best as I could.

The thread is doing just what I wanted in to do at this juncture, attract the eye and begin open discussions on the basic ideas and concepts regarding droughting while familiarizing everyone with the biology of our plants so that when the study is presented, ALL of our readers can better understand and be more accepting of the process.

I assure you that the time is coming for that to be added onto the thread as that in itself, will be the biggest discussion point. I'd just like to have as many on board with the same level of consciousness before making that jump.

Again I'm sorry I didn't want this post to sound like, "get an angler, measure your leaf angles before drought begin drought during drought check angles continue to measure leaf angles for up to 11 days if leaf drops under 50% fertigate the cultivar" seemed lazy of me to just throw a sheet in front of everyone and say go at it friends....

Hope you will stick around for it..Happy New Year

The slow and gentle drought is most beneficial. I run Pro-Mix HP and can always go at least 8 days before the LWA (wilt) is 50% greater than original turgid readings. The cultivar needs a bit of time to prepare (synthesize) the stressed cannabinoids.

Like your idea :love:
Thank you for your input as always... I liked the idea also Azi

I didn't start the thread solely with the purpose of telling people how to drought. I began the thread to educate everyone on how a plant receives this particular stressor and what it does to protect and/or better itself in the process.
Understood.

But, eventually, maybe soon, this idea will become common practice among some growers, kind of like bud washing has become. Not for everyone, but for many.

Maybe one of the other practitioners can start a new how-to thread and you can keep yours to more of the science and theory of it all.

Kind of like the 'quadlining' thread, or the threads on making concentrated oils or others like them. They start with a how-to for those that already know they want to do it but are looking for the details from those that have already worked it out. The threads then go on to explore the use of the technique with questions and answers from the growing list of those growers using it and the community fleshes it out over time.

I get that you want to do it like you have. It's your thread. But I think having the actual steps to accomplish this buried deep in the thread won't prove as useful down the line as having it upfront and easily accessible for those looking to dive in and don't have the time to wade through all of the preamble to get to the info they need. Kind of like the grower that was 8 weeks in and needed an answer quickly.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your thread. I'm just throwing out what would be more useful to me and future growers like me down the road. And having the info upfront and the science behind it could make this thread the go-to standard for the technique. To put it in newspaper language, it kind of feels like you're "burying the lead."

I would say, unlike some, I'm more just casually interested in the science, but strongly interested in the technique, given the success @StoneOtter @Maritimer @Rexer and others have experienced. I'll still follow along for the science, but I guess I'm looking more for a concise write-up as a jumping off point.

Kind of like my car. I'm kinda interested in how it works, but to start, I just want to know how to turn on the ignition and where the gas and brake pedals are. Then, over time, I can educate myself on the why and how's. But I really don't need any of that to get started and enjoy the benefits of the transportation.

WooooW what you started @Krissi1982
Just caught up , im firm believer of each to there own.
And NEVER discount information that could benefit you.
That being said still never got my questions answered.
Also think to stop the sceptics like myself.
As already said here or on another thread.
A Start to finish soil/coco/hemp/dwc detailed would be nice.
As already said i would think EVEN if it works the time scales would be different.
And im still lurking

Happy New Year from the skunksta one and all..............
;)

the way i read it tells me the technique , for plants in soil at least, is very simple

first one needs to know their plants a bit,, knowing when 11 , or 12 perhaps, days from harvest, one stops watering

that's it,, under optimum conditions,, done

one watering after 11 days, or adjusted for ones own conditions, and a harvest the next day

that is straight from the study

of course, ones conditions, situation, expertise, experience, attention to details, fortune, and karma will need to be factored into everything,,

simple indeed

btw,, the study is not a big read and actually quite easy to understand,, sorta

btw again,, how to properly organize these threads for ease of use and study has been an ongoing issue for 420mag for years,, still not fixed, or else not used properly,, there is things in place for this but not used much,, so is forgotten

WooooW what you started @Krissi1982
Just caught up , im firm believer of each to there own.
And NEVER discount information that could benefit you.
That being said still never got my questions answered.
Also think to stop the sceptics like myself.
As already said here or on another thread.
A Start to finish soil/coco/hemp/dwc detailed would ne nice.
As already said i would think EVEN if it works the time scales would be different.
And im still lurking

Happy New Year from the skunksta one and all..............
;)
Ahoy @Skunksta
Another very cool screen name. How in the world I got stuck with the name Maritimer is beyond me.

Very appreciative of your announced skepticisms.
I felt the same way as you, until it came together in my head.
This is why Krissi is trying to get everyone up to speed together.
Around the world we have testimony from gardeners that have confirmed our protocol.
That should appease your suspicion of failures.
but aye, to each their own :love:

the way i read it tells me the technique , for plants in soil at least, is very simple

first one needs to know their plants a bit,, knowing when 11 , or 12 perhaps, days from harvest, one stops watering

that's it,, under optimum conditions,, done

one watering after 11 days, or adjusted for ones own conditions, and a harvest the next day

that is straight from the study

of course, ones conditions, situation, expertise, experience, attention to details, fortune, and karma will need to be factored into everything,,

simple indeed

btw,, the study is not a big read and actually quite easy to understand,, sorta

btw again,, how to properly organize these threads for ease of use and study has been an ongoing issue for 420mag for years,, still not fixed, or else not used properly,, there is things in place for this but not used much,, so is forgotten
the young doctor Kaplan has (like many of us) gained a great deal of experience since the original study was published. if he were to write his thesis over (hehe) a lot more information would have been published. he is nowadays getting 30% improvements to cannabinoid profiles compared with his controls. I get stuck around 25% I think. either way we both are better than when he applied for his doctoral certification.

Back
Top Bottom