DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

From experience I used those damp rid containers and they sucked all resin out of buds. Not a good idea

Ouch!! That had to hurt. :hug:

They were super strong smells right about the 2nd Or third day in the fridge. Noticeable when you open the fridge. Stronger than normal, then subsided after that. But now the smells are not stronger as much as different from the other dry PCK x KC. A fresher smell more like vegetables than weeds. I haven't tasted and missus is out of town for a month. I could sneak a smoke this week before I go see her but I have nothing to compare it to. And with my low tolerance I turn into one of the vegetables.

She says this is my best yet in taste and power. Should do well after some jar time. I dunno. the cure will do it good-er.

Someone said bay leaf? I am not sure rightly. But something pleasant to be sure. I believe it had enhanced the natural vegetal of the unusual PCK x KC aroma.

edit: in case anyone doesn't know, I don't partake in the canna. I grow for others to enjoy. And yet I am loving cbd oil vapor. But I digress. Not taste test from me sorry.
The bay leaf smell is something I got on one of my strains. (Zamadelica) now that it's been jarred for about a week, it has changed to a fruit smell. Kind of like mango. The taste is very subtle, but you can slightly smell the mango in the nose on exhale.

I just moved my candy out of the fridge last night. 21 days and it's just getting to the point where I can put it through the grinder. That one is already a smelly strain. It should be interesting to see how it comes out.

How can I add humidity to my fridge...wet towels????

It's worth a try Scorpio, although I'd think a pan of water or even a wide-mouth jar with water in it might do the job.

The bay leaf smell is something I got on one of my strains. (Zamadelica) now that it's been jarred for about a week, it has changed to a fruit smell. Kind of like mango. The taste is very subtle, but you can slightly smell the mango in the nose on exhale.

I just moved my candy out of the fridge last night. 21 days and it's just getting to the point where I can put it through the grinder. That one is already a smelly strain. It should be interesting to see how it comes out.

That mango smell is myrcene, one of the most abundant terpenes in cannabis, and as a monoterpene, most suceptability to evaporation when we hang to dry. It's myrcene that assists in the passage of cannabinoids through the BBB. :slide:

Makes you wonder at all the years you've been smoking cannabis without this terpene retention, doesn't it? It occurred to me that my daughter has been showing signs of dramatic healing on all fronts since I switched to fresh harvest infused oils, which I learned to make precisely in hopes of retaining a more complete representation of the entourage components. This drying method allows me to offer her vape material with the same benefits.

This is stunning if you think about the therapeutic values beyond getting high. The potential here for improved healing rates and subtle effects we weren't getting by drying by hanging in the open is tremendous.

That mango smell is myrcene, one of the most abundant terpenes in cannabis, and as a monoterpene, most suceptability to evaporation when we hang to dry. It's myrcene that assists in the passage of cannabinoids through the BBB. :slide:

Makes you wonder at all the years you've been smoking cannabis without this terpene retention, doesn't it? It occurred to me that my daughter has been showing signs of dramatic healing on all fronts since I switched to fresh harvest infused oils, which I learned to make precisely in hopes of retaining a more complete representation of the entourage components. This drying method allows me to offer her vape material with the same benefits.

This is stunning if you think about the therapeutic values beyond getting high. The potential here for improved healing rates and subtle effects we weren't getting by drying by hanging in the open is tremendous.
Thank you, I've been trying to figure out what mycrene smells like.

On another note, my purple Malawi just got shelved a couple of days ago and it's developing an interesting berry smell that hasn't been there before. I'll pack a bowl of it this evening and test it out. I've only mixed it so far as it still wasn't dry enough to smoke properly.

Added a wet Towel into the crisper.. Jumped to 68% RH.... so moved it to shelf above Crisper, Ill check it in an hr ish and see where the RH is then

So Drying Update...:lot-o-toke: Day 3

Bathroom Old school dry... RH is about 50% and Temp around 77-80.. Most still have a damp feel to em, coupek small buds branch may be ready for jars Tonight..oh and it smells pretty fruity in the bathroom when I open the door:thumb:

Low and Slow Fridge dry.... Temp at 40deg... still working on a good RH... Bout the same as Others.. still a bit damp.... No real smell in the fridge yet

My mini fridge was at 63% right after harvest and this morning it was 59% ( 2 1/2 days after harvest). The temp has been 45 to 46 degrees F or 7.5 to 8 degrees C. The smell was strong and skunky for the first day and is turning pretty mild.

Should I be moving the buds around each day or just keep trying not to peek in the fridge?

I do my best to leave them be. I can't think of any reason not to shift them, but in my world they get ignored as much as possible.

I also find the smell is pronounced the first three or four days and then drops off significantly, as does the spike in humidity. I'm so impressed with your setup MrGreene that I'm considering taking some of my mad money next month and picking up a dorm fridge. Hmmm..... They'll go on sale in August when the college students return to the area. Maybe I'd be best to wait until then. I sure could use a decent pressure cooker that'll hold a quart jar for oil production.

Decisions, decisions. :dreamy: That entire windfall will be spent on either garden supplies or oil-making supplies and equipment. :laughtwo: Yeah..... I'm not obsessed with this plant. Not at all. Lol!

My mini fridge was at 63% right after harvest and this morning it was 59% ( 2 1/2 days after harvest). The temp has been 45 to 46 degrees F or 7.5 to 8 degrees C. The smell was strong and skunky for the first day and is turning pretty mild.

Should I be moving the buds around each day or just keep trying not to peek in the fridge?

i would rotate to allow air circulation..just like ovens have hot/cool spots :)

I do my best to leave them be. I can't think of any reason not to shift them, but in my world they get ignored as much as possible.

I also find the smell is pronounced the first three or four days and then drops off significantly, as does the spike in humidity. I'm so impressed with your setup MrGreene that I'm considering taking some of my mad money next month and picking up a dorm fridge. Hmmm..... They'll go on sale in August when the college students return to the area. Maybe I'd be best to wait until then. I sure could use a decent pressure cooker that'll hold a quart jar for oil production.

Decisions, decisions. :dreamy: That entire windfall will be spent on either garden supplies or oil-making supplies and equipment. :laughtwo: Yeah..... I'm not obsessed with this plant. Not at all. Lol!

I have two of these little fridges right now that were free from neighbors that didn't want them any more. People are upgrading to prettier looking wine coolers. You might find a deal on one from a neighbor or craigslist. My setup only took about 20 minutes to make after I found the leftover wire in the garage. It was a last minute decision after getting that message asking if I had read this thread.

I have been trying not to peek in the fridge, and only looked about 4 times a day this weekend. I'll go ahead and rotate tonight just in case there isn't good enough air circulation.

I have what will dry down to around 5 ounces in a frost free frig now. The first 9 days it was in quart jars and one half gallon. I was still getting condensation on the inside of the jars, so I put everything into some paper bags except for one rather full jar of less than large buds.

The bagged buds are drying more evenly than in the screened jars and noticeably faster. With the jars, the upper buds tended to dry faster.

Tomorrow will be two weeks and I think I am looking at another two before they are ready to jar, it could be more.

Someone was talking about raising the RH in the frig. I don’t think that is necessary. The harvest should take plenty of time to dry. 5 ounces of dry bud would have to lose over a pint of water in the drying process.

I ordered a frig/freezer that was around 6cf yesterday. I am that sold on the concept. And, my wife is threatening to kick me and the stash out if she does not get her frig back. The last comment was "The tea taste like pot."

The odor is very strong in the frig and getting to be rather noticeable in the kitchen. The amount of material I have drying is adding to the smell.

I did not wash these buds. They were not sprayed while in flower and I have filtered air flow through the flower room. I wanted to get them cooled down rather quickly so I cut a few branches at a time, trimmed and jarred them with screens and into the frig. My thoughts were that it would be better to get them cooled down than let them air dry for the 4 to 24 hours that have been discussed here.

If I were to wash the buds I would probably hang them and use a fan to dry them and put them into the frig as soon as they were dry.

Paper bags are probably going to prove the best option so far.

I cold dried some popcorn in an uncovered paper bowel that dried in less than two weeks. It was not much of an improvement over air dried popcorn. OTOH I have pulled a fair amount of bud out and let it air dry after it had been in the frig for 2 weeks or so. It (GSC) smoked reasonably well in a dry pipe and smooth in a cone. I like the high and can say the high is a little softer than what I have experienced with dispensary Girl Scout Cookies strain.

I never know

That was all very insightful Canyon. Thank you. :hug:

Laughed right out loud at the wife's ultimatum. :laughtwo: It can get intense those early days, and you have a quantity that stretches the imagination. Lol!

I'm impressed, new fridge for drying. How many of us won't be far behind? Hahaha!

I've also noticed the buds in the bag are drying faster, and in a very uniform manner. I'll have to take some of the smaller pieces out in a day or so. I was thinking of putting the larger buds into bags. I'll probably will do that tomorrow. Tonight I'm so tired I need to turn in early. I think the full moon messes with my rhythms. Sleep has been disrupted for three nights, and I'm wearing out.

Sooner or later I'll find an indica that'll work. Lol! Oh, wait...... I have the vape pen with indica wax already loaded. :woohoo:

Hey.... I can't believe it never occurred to me to use a fan to dry the wet buds faster. :straightface: You know a lot, my friend. :kisstwo:

Check your Goodwill and other resale stores for a mini-fridge - I see them there.

I have two of these little fridges right now that were free from neighbors that didn't want them any more. People are upgrading to prettier looking wine coolers. You might find a deal on one from a neighbor or craigslist. My setup only took about 20 minutes to make after I found the leftover wire in the garage. It was a last minute decision after getting that message asking if I had read this thread.

I have been trying not to peek in the fridge, and only looked about 4 times a day this weekend. I'll go ahead and rotate tonight just in case there isn't good enough air circulation.

I open my fridge once or twice a day and roll and shake the jars to make sure the buds aren't sticking together or to the sides of the jar. This adds in condensation while I do this, so it may extend the drying time, but the lack of air around some of the buds would cause issues if left to long.

With your buds sitting out on wire racks instead of jarred, I don't know if that would be an issue with you. Opening the fridge at least for me really spikes the humidity, so I try to keep it to a minimum. Are you getting two weeks dying time with the racks? It seems like it would be significantly faster than jarring it.

I open my fridge once or twice a day and roll and shake the jars to make sure the buds aren't sticking together or to the sides of the jar. This adds in condensation while I do this, so it may extend the drying time, but the lack of air around some of the buds would cause issues if left to long.

With your buds sitting out on wire racks instead of jarred, I don't know if that would be an issue with you. Opening the fridge at least for me really spikes the humidity, so I try to keep it to a minimum. Are you getting two weeks dying time with the racks? It seems like it would be significantly faster than jarring it.

I only opened the fridge twice yesterday and once so far today. Humidity has dropped to 53%. I'm not sure how long drying will take since this is my first harvest ever. I'll try to keep updating here so you'll know how long it takes and to get advice. I did rearrange the buds last night just in case.

Here is the first rack I made for my mini fridge. 3 will fit, but there is still a large area on the bottom. I don't think 3 racks will hold everything from the next harvest, so I think I will try the paper bag technique in the space on the bottom. Put the bud in a big paper bag with torn up news paper. I have done that in the closet before, but not in the fridge. That should fill her. :circle-of-love::peace:

20170613_112928_resized.jpg
20170613_112937_resized.jpg
20170613_112950_resized.jpg
20170613_112957_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom