DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Hey Keltic! Have you ever tried short term storage without Bovedas? I've read a lot of comments that they Rob flavor from the buds. I don't smoke enough to know myself but I can say they smell much better without Bovedas.. I do still use them for long term storage and any jars that got too dry. I've also read the other brand boost does not rob flavor but I'm not sure I believe that.

:passitleft:
Regarding the idea that Bovedas rob the buds of terpenes. I don’t find this to be true. I do run into problems of weaker aromas (terpenes) when I've overdried the buds.

Seeing comments about this in various places I researched Boveda's sight and found this. Terpenes Safer with Boveda

"You might have read online that Boveda negatively alters and/or steals terpenes from cannabis.

Both of these claims against Boveda are untrue. And most importantly, not backed by any legitimate testing.

We respect your skill, effort and journey too much to allow anything to be taken away from the flower you grow and care for. So we wanted to share some legitimate research about Boveda and terpenes with you, the cannabis community.

TWO SUCH TESTS CONDUCTED BY INDEPENDENT AND REPUTABLE LABS CONFIRMED:
  • Boveda 2-way humidity control products DO NOT steal terpenes
  • Boveda actually helps cannabis retain terpenes when tested against control samples
BY DESIGN, BOVEDA CANNOT ABSORB TERPENES—those essential oils that give flower its flavor and aroma. Boveda’s patented technology only allows pure water vapor to flow in and out its packaging."

I do notice some degrading of the aroma, ie scent produced by the terpenes after sitting in jars for a while, however, when I take out a bud and break it open the smell comes right back. My 2¢ worth.

Thanks fur sharing MMM! I do find it funny that Boveda seems to be getting a little defensive and a little condescending even.

So we wanted to share some legitimate research about Boveda and terpenes

Have you tried without Bovedas? I agree with you about breaking it up and the smell comes out.

I think the comments out there come from growers that do their own research which I feel is legitimate simply because it's something experienced growers notice from trial and error.

Obviously Boveda will defend their product the best they can. I've been using them for a few years now and prefer the jars without.

I have tried a few jars here and there w/o a Boveda. Usually when a jar has stabilized humidity. Or, if I’m short a B pak and need to steal one:eek:

My experience is that w/o a B pak the bud dries out to much over time, which I don’t like. I prefer the suppleness and the freshness of a 62% Rh cured bud. I only vape and when I do smoke the rare joint I have on occasional, experienced a "burn out". The joint won’t stay lit inbtween tokes. Of course, I explain that away by saying my buds are so heavenly laced with resin that the fire is overwhelmed... :laughtwo:LMOA! . But, I recognize that the bud May be to "wet". To each his own.

I take them out and place in sealed jar with a hydrometer at room temp. Let them sit for 1-2 hours. If 70% or below then I pack all in jars for final cure and start the burping in a cool dark place.

Why...? Out of curiosity...

For the energy that comes from an earlier harvest. I used to harvest my sativa-doms as soon as I saw the first amber. Now I do so at the first sign of cloudy. You get a zippier buzz from an early harvest. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Good deal! I figured that since we're using low and slow to maintain the highest level of terps then we should consider the humidity pack debate.

To be honest, I’ve never noticed much difference. As soon as I crack a bud open the perfumes satisfy. I encourage the debate though. Boveda backed their claims up with testing results. Surely that stands for something.

I thought Sativa are more energetic and indacouches..... huh.... this plant is so amazing it makes me wonder how many other quirks are yet to be found!

Oh the wonders that lie ahead. :laughtwo:

DoH... re-read it and understand that is what the amber is indicating is Indica tendencies the more amber... dang hoot clouded my
comprende. Heheh

Those indica tendencies are due to the terpenes we typically find in indicas, and I don’t think they have anything to do with the color of the trichomes, although I could be wrong on that. To my understanding, that color change is the degradation of the cannabinoids, some of which become more relaxing in effect than those of us preferring sativas would typically choose.

I personally harvest early, while the majority of the trichomes are still clear, because that’s when THC is highest, and it’s also when the terpenes have matured to the point where the high they’ll be directing will be more energetic than anything. :laughtwo: I grow sativas for the energy. An early harvest adds extra zip. :slide:

Lol I have an app for that

:rofl:

Hey.... excellent point about keeping the buds stable without Bovedas. Brix stopped using them a while ago. He actually gave me the ones he had sitting unused, for my last harvests. It never occurred to me to rehydrate while I took a steamy shower. :high-five:

I’ve seen what can happen with buds left in jars without Bovedas and forgotten. Not my own - mine never last that long :rofl: - but it’s not pretty to lose good bud to poor storage.

Thanks for the information from Boveda @medmanmike. All my big jars have packs, and I feel more comfortable knowing that.

I’d sure like to see the testing that backs up the Boost claims. Or isn’t it them making those claims?

I’ve seen what can happen with buds left in jars without Bovedas and forgotten. Not my own - mine never last that long :rofl: - but it’s not pretty to lose good bud to poor storage.

What happens and about how long is too long. The boss flies through it but still takes her a while.

The claims from Boost are from users.

What happens and about how long is too long. The boss flies through it but still takes her a while.

The claims from Boost are from users.

That’s what I thought, and it’s real easy to create a narrative that’s not actually true, but sounds like it could be. I appreciate that Boveda stood behind their claims with solid data.

Thanks... I’ve been posting like a fiend and have yet to take a hit. :laughtwo:

Right I’ve had a batch of buds drying slowly in cold air temps (no fridge yet)

I have a couple of questions for you guys I’m trying to perfect my drying as best as I can.

Currently temp is 19.5c and 63% humidity.

When I put them in sealed jars the humidity starts at 63 and then rises.
I suppose if the starting humidity is 63% it’s never going to get to the 62% cure zone.

What do you guys use as a starting humidity?
And what can I do to achieve this?

Tried putting in a 62% boveda but after 20 mins humidity spiked to 82%

Right I’ve had a batch of buds drying slowly in cold air temps (no fridge yet)

I have a couple of questions for you guys I’m trying to perfect my drying as best as I can.

Currently temp is 19.5c and 63% humidity.

When I put them in sealed jars the humidity starts at 63 and then rises.
I suppose if the starting humidity is 63% it’s never going to get to the 62% cure zone.

What do you guys use as a starting humidity?
And what can I do to achieve this?

Tried putting in a 62% boveda but after 20 mins humidity spiked to 82%

We’re shooting for 45-50% RH. At least in the beginning of the process you’ll get crazy spikes in RH as the moisture moves from the bud to the air. If you start at 63% and that’s the ambient humidity throughout the dry you’ll stop at 63%, Using some rice balls should get you at 62% in no time.

Barring a dehumidifier, I personally know of no way other than dried rice balls in closed jars to get the humidity down, and that can be more effective than you realize. You’ll need some way to keep drying the rice out.

InTheShed put together a great tutorial on using the rice balls.

Rice Balls

So your saying if the ambient humidity is 63% the buds won’t dry passed 63% humidity?

That bit I’m struggling to understand.
Would excess humidity from the buds not just be extracted out the extractor fan and the humidity just stays around 63%

If what you say is correct theoretically if I have ambient humidity of 63% I don’t have to worry about curing as they will start curing in the open air?

So your saying if the ambient humidity is 63% the buds won’t dry passed 63% humidity?

That bit I’m struggling to understand.
Would excess humidity from the buds not just be extracted out the extractor fan and the humidity just stays around 63%

If what you say is correct theoretically if I have ambient humidity of 63% I don’t have to worry about curing as they will start curing in the open air?
You can never get your buds lower than the ambient humidity without intervention. I'm rarely below 62% so I use either rice balls (as SweetSue mentioned) or a mini-dehumidifier in a box with the buds. You can also let them sit in the car with the AC on as that lowers the humidity as well.

I don't cure them in the open air but I also don't worry about them over-drying while they hang.

One last thing...Boveda or Boost humidity packs are not designed to lower or raise the RH by more than a few points and are not a substitute for proper drying before sealing. Using them that was is the fastest way to mold your harvest, as one of our members just discovered last week! They are for maintaining the correct RH during the cure.

You can never get your buds lower than the ambient humidity without intervention. I'm rarely below 62% so I use either rice balls (as SweetSue mentioned) or a mini-dehumidifier in a box with the buds. You can also let them sit in the car with the AC on as that lowers the humidity as well.

I don't cure them in the open air but I also don't worry about them over-drying while they hang.

One last thing...Boveda or Boost humidity packs are not designed to lower or raise the RH by more than a few points and are not a substitute for proper drying before sealing. Using them that was is the fastest way to mold your harvest, as one of our members just discovered last week! They are for maintaining the correct RH during the cure.

Thanks for your input. When you say rice balls can I just use regular rice that’s not in balls?

And how do you work out how many rice balls you need?

How low humidity can I risk my buds getting too before I kill the cure?

If I have a night of low humidity and wake up and the buds are at 55% is it too late and cure dead?

Depends on how long they've been hanging when the RH hits 55%! Early on is fine. After a week at 63% is not as good but they should be fine. But lower than that and it's hard to rehydrate them effectively.

Have you seen the Rice Ball tutorial? Loose rice will get caught in the buds!

Depends on how long they've been hanging when the RH hits 55%! Early on is fine. After a week at 63% is not as good but they should be fine. But lower than that and it's hard to rehydrate them effectively.

Have you seen the Rice Ball tutorial? Loose rice will get caught in the buds!

So 55% is too low? I thought some people liked to cure at 55% didn’t think the cure was dead at 55%

Back
Top Bottom