DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

This was the winning photo. White Widow and Bubbleicious week 8 or 9 or so
FLOWERING_DAY_59.jpg
Nice! Let me guess the theme?
Send a pic "showing our light with your grow".
Not much competition huh?

Just kidding!!!

I never win anything.

We have a new thread starting this morning that could use some curious minds, and in particular, any test results that speak to the challenges of decarboxylation.

I'll join as a curious mind. Someone else will have to do the testing for now, lol.

BtW, I hope everyone has backed up all their cannabis-related data. I had, IIRC, something like four gigs' worth of various stuff on a portable hard drive that I've looked for off and on for a month. Must have taken a walk at some point. I looked on my computer's (built-in) hard drive for a specific issue of an out-of-business medicinal-themed cannabis magazine the other day and realized that it was on the missing external drive. I've only got a couple hundred megs' worth on this hard drive, and a lot of it is incidental stuff that really isn't of use to anyone.

Bums me out. I collected information for years. It's probably around here somewhere, but I'm bad about picking something up to put it away, walking through the house, getting distracted, and placing it in one of the many boxes (Mom kept bringing me boxes of dead relatives' stuff for a long time because she figured I'd rather store it than her :rolleyes3 ) or just sticking it in some unusual spot. That's how all my cannabis seeds ended up in my hot attic for two or three weeks <YIKES!> .

Anyway, SweetSue, thank you for posting the link.

I'll join as a curious mind. Someone else will have to do the testing for now, lol.

BtW, I hope everyone has backed up all their cannabis-related data. I had, IIRC, something like four gigs' worth of various stuff on a portable hard drive that I've looked for off and on for a month. Must have taken a walk at some point. I looked on my computer's (built-in) hard drive for a specific issue of an out-of-business medicinal-themed cannabis magazine the other day and realized that it was on the missing external drive. I've only got a couple hundred megs' worth on this hard drive, and a lot of it is incidental stuff that really isn't of use to anyone.

Bums me out. I collected information for years. It's probably around here somewhere, but I'm bad about picking something up to put it away, walking through the house, getting distracted, and placing it in one of the many boxes (Mom kept bringing me boxes of dead relatives' stuff for a long time because she figured I'd rather store it than her :rolleyes3 ) or just sticking it in some unusual spot. That's how all my cannabis seeds ended up in my hot attic for two or three weeks <YIKES!> .

Anyway, SweetSue, thank you for posting the link.

My daughter keeps recommending I do this, and I haven't yet, and look at the volume of material I'd have to back up. :straightface: I've been filing it away all over this site, intending to gather it up when I'm ready to start on the books in ernest.

IMG_91972.JPG

Enjoying the first bits dry from the last Carnival harvest. This was popcorn buds, small ones at that, and I'd dropped them into a paper bag to accelerate the process. The brother-in-law was really missing the Carnival. I'm pretty sure he had a stroke last week, and he won't go to see a doctor. I decided he needed a treat. At least I'm getting cannabinoids into him. Hopefully that'll counter his aversion to medical help.

Well, I deserved a treat too. :cheesygrinsmiley:

No cure on this at all, but then this is my favorite kind of buzz, and this batch has new depth of flavors. It also has increased effect. I did three small hits yesterday and before I knew it I was detailing my kitchen. Lol! Good grief, I love this method of drying. I'm gonna do my best to get the biggest buds all the way through a three month cure. I have another Carnival coming down in a couple weeks, to take the pressure off this harvest.

It's quite the balancing act to coordinate need with this long-term dry and cure, but I have every confidence it's worth the effort. :battingeyelashes:

Hey guys, im giving the low and slow a try and have Skunk #1 and PCK in brown paper bags in the fridge. Heres my temps and RH inside the fridge. Let me know what you think please.
420-magazine-mobile933585846.jpg

Didn't finish my cave yet, so put up the harvest in the coldest room we have on this property. Left the foliage on to slow down the drying. I usually do that unless I'm in a rush. Always felt the end result got better when I did not trim before drying. Thinking they'll be dry in 8-10 days. Sadly the slowest I can do in the middle of the summer. Will come back stronger later in regards of the low'n'slo method

harvest_00113.jpg
harvest_00212.jpg
harvest_00312.jpg

Also started a new journal. Will collect all my grow spaces in that one. So if any of you are following my journals - this is the new home of everything I do. Just click the fancy logo to get there. Easier to keep track of like that. Learned that from Sue :)

Will grow in both soil and hydro. Will make feminized seeds, develop a strain or two plus much more madness.

Do you make a new journal about once a year Sue?

Hey guys, im giving the low and slow a try and have Skunk #1 and PCK in brown paper bags in the fridge. Heres my temps and RH inside the fridge. Let me know what you think please.

Hi pennywise ... assuming the outdoor numbers are from a sensor in the fridge, I think you might need to increase the humidity in there. Is the target moisture content 62% for the buds?

Nice pics.

Reminds of the good old days, drying plants in the attic of a shed. Full plant roots and all hung upside down. I suppose all the moisture in that plant material would slow down the dry. No breeze in there would reduce terpene loss. Not sure if the warm days, cool nights temp changes would help.

Nice to have some science behind the old methods.

Didn't finish my cave yet, so put up the harvest in the coldest room we have on this property. Left the foliage on to slow down the drying. I usually do that unless I'm in a rush. Always felt the end result got better when I did not trim before drying. Thinking they'll be dry in 8-10 days. Sadly the slowest I can do in the middle of the summer. Will come back stronger later in regards of the low'n'slo method

harvest_00113.jpg
harvest_00212.jpg
harvest_00312.jpg

Also started a new journal. Will collect all my grow spaces in that one. So if any of you are following my journals - this is the new home of everything I do. Just click the fancy logo to get there. Easier to keep track of like that. Learned that from Sue :)

Will grow in both soil and hydro. Will make feminized seeds, develop a strain or two plus much more madness.

Its 38 degrees and 27% rh inside the room. The bottom numbers are the room parameters. They will go into jars with 62% bovedas so dont want them to fall much lower than that. If i raise the temp 2-3 degrees will that raise rh a little?

It's pretty cold during the night so that helps a lot.

Nice pics.

Reminds of the good old days, drying plants in the attic of a shed. Full plant roots and all hung upside down. I suppose all the moisture in that plant material would slow down the dry. No breeze in there would reduce terpene loss. Not sure if the warm days, cool nights temp changes would help.

Nice to have some science behind the old methods.

Its 38 degrees and 27% rh inside the room. The bottom numbers are the room parameters. They will go into jars with 62% bovedas so dont want them to fall much lower than that. If i raise the temp 2-3 degrees will that raise rh a little?
With temps that low. The RH is not a factor being low. The out side of the BUD will feel dry after a week in the fridge. The internal RH will still be in the high 80 to 90 %.
High humidity in the fridge = mold!
The weekly removal from fridge.
Is to bring buds up to room temp. Hydrates the BUD evenly.
Allowing osmosis to speed up.
Reducing RH in the bud.
Putting back in the fridge slows this process down.

Just remember to burp your fridge daily.
Put your buds in OPEN containers only.
Do not seal jars, boxes, bags, ECT "they need to breathe" in the fridge.

I completely missed removal from the fridge every week. I'm sure you probably made that perfectly clear Furcifer. :hug: Sometimes the brain takes a few times to connect. :battingeyelashes: I do have my fingers into a lot of pies these days. Lol!

Let me go do that now.

harvest_00113.jpg
harvest_00212.jpg
harvest_00312.jpg

What a beautiful sight. Thank you for decorating our pages with it. :hug: I'll be sure to check out the new journal too. I start a new journal when we reach between 400-500 pages. That will be somewhere around a year, I suppose. It's been 5 months and we'll hit 200 pages soon.

I completely missed removal from the fridge every week. I'm sure you probably made that perfectly clear Furcifer. :hug: Sometimes the brain takes a few times to connect. :battingeyelashes: I do have my fingers into a lot of pies these days. Lol!

Let me go do that now.
Delicate flowers my dear. We do not want them to stay overtly moist.
Removal of the buds are a crucial factor in the osmosis process.
Think of it as a kick start to "normal osmisis". Than retard that process for a few days (puting in fridge).
"Retard", "Kick Start", "Retard", "Kick Start", Retard", "Kick Start".
Do it every three days, five days, do not exceed 7 to 10 days.
Now go take care of your buds! .

I had some test run on some Low-n-Slow dried buds for another thread that the cannabinoid results are indicating that there is nearly no degrade from what fresh just cut material would contain.

I did not air dry any of it other than what I consumed while it was drying. So I am afraid I have nothing to compare it to.

I have a terpene test also. It is too early to draw conclusions but there may be more loss of terpenes through evaporation in the L-n-S dry than we though. This is based only by comparing air dried 80/20 sativa Ghost train to 80/20 sativa Nightmare Cookies that was L-n-S dried. The air dried sample contained nearly 4 times the total terpenes.

Has anyone run any same plant samples on any strain comparing air dried to L-n-S dried? If anyone can come up with that information before August 16th it will be a huge help.
SteepHill-Nightmare_Cookies.jpg
SteepHill-Nightmare_Cookies_Terpenes.jpg

Ghost_Train_2-cannabinoids_.jpg

SteepHill-Ghost_Train_2-terpenes.jpg

Think humidity in fridge penny is suppose to be Around 45%

Ok thanks furcifer, so im still on the right track. The paper bags arent sealed the top is just folded over. This looks very promising .

Penny I ordered this as per sweet sues method of silk screening off eBay I believe I got it not expensive at all .
420-magazine-mobile738775423.jpg

Get Better pics for ya soon bro.

Back
Top Bottom