DWC problem - Why do my plants look like this

Could I come out better if I but this
Screenshot_20171212-194854.png

I like buckets or trash cans more than rectangle totes to grow in. Gives the vertical room in the res for the roots to grow. You don't necessarily have to use a bucket, but you need the right environment in your res:

Water temp...try and get below 72f.
Water level in res
PH level...5.7-6.2
PPM level...check your nute feeding schedule but a benchmark is 600ppm in veg and 950 in flower.
Oxygenated res
Total darkness in res

That setup is good but I don't buy the store bought rigs, mainly because there is no hydro store where I live and it's always cheaper to make you own. But that is a good setup, how much is it?

If you want to grow two plants you'll need to buy two of those bucket rigs.

Get two 5 gallon buckets (I get them from a painting company for free), an air pump to supply both buckets (at least 300gph), a large air stone for each bucket, air hose, hydroton balls, 2 net pots wiTh 6" lip, and you can make you own. The net pot with the 6" lip serves as the lid of the bucket. Se pics of mine.

I have the rectangle res that came with the box. It is white on top and the res it self was painted black. So I think the bucket will be better as well and it's only around $35

it sounds like you have a small grow space so you're not going to grow very large plants...if you get one of these DWC rigs, put two plants in it, and you'll have to train one to one side and one to the other side to give them some room....or you can just go with one bigger plant instead of two smaller ones.

Yes my space is limited. My box is 4ft tall, a about 13-15 inches wide and 13 inches deep. Why wouldn't they get big if I just planted two in the 4 site bucket? And it comes with hydroton

So since we last spoke, I've purchased Flying Skull z7, hydroton, rock wool cubes, ppm and pH reader, water thermostat and hygrometer. I've been doing water test and my pH is high in the faucet water. 8.5 ph and the ppm is 242. I've also thrown the other ones away and I'm geminating white widow now

Sorry I went quiet, I broke my laptop (also why I haven't updated my grow journal either!)

Answer to your first question: I said "it sounds like you have a small grow space so you're not going to grow very large plants." You won't be able to grow a plant 4ft tall and 4ft wide plant in your grow space, that's all I meant. I'm not saying you aren't going to grow nice plants, but you don't have the space to grow anything tall, or wide. Once you add in the height of your res and how low your light hangs, you prob have a lot less than 4 ft of vertical space to grow. So if you can only grow smaller sized plants you could prob fit two plants in that bucket rig you were going to buy, that's all I meant.

Good job on the equipment purchase!!!

Do you still have your old res or did you get the new one? if still the old one did you upgrade the air pump?

Your water ppm is pretty high. Do you have access to reverse osmosis water? An R/O filter is $150 - you'll just have to live with it otherwise. Try it and see how you get on. If your water is chlorinated make sure you let it sit for 24hrs for the chlorine to evaporate. The high ph is not a problem. Once you add your nutes (which should be acidic) the ph will drop. You will need some ph up and ph down to adjust your ph to the desired range (5.8-6.2) after all your nutes have been mixed in.

Good choice on the Widow, I've grown it before.

I'll post a link to my grow journal when I get my new laptop and get the journal updated - you can prob get some ideas for your garden from mine, or other growers'.

I didn't get the bucket. But I think that the flying skull z7 may help me out. If that doesn't work then I'll upgrade to a better res and pump

Back
Top Bottom