DWC problem - Why do my plants look like this

If you have more seeds start over. You'll be glad you did. Start a journal here and let us help. Good luck to u. Let us know how it goes.

I've been just letting it grow just to see how it will turn out. Tell me what you think
IMG_20171211_114041.jpg

Never hurts to try but I think your wasting your time if you're not adding z7 or even peroxide which I don't like. I think you need more air bubbles to. I didn't see much in your pics. Good luck man. I am here if you need me.

What is z7 and why peroxide?

Root rot is caused by bad bacteria.
Peroxide will kill the bad but also kills the good. But some swear by it.
Z7 kills the bad and provides good bacteria.

Great I just found flying skull z7. I've got to order for next grow. I am going to start over I'm waiting on cash this week. So I'll just let them keep going until my order comes in. Just to see what they do and learn as well

your water level was probably a bit too high...it should be 2-3 inches below the jiffy pellet....you want the bubbles from the air stone to create an aeroponic effect. But going forward I wouldn't even use the jiffy pellets. I germinate my seeds in paper towel, then put them in rapid rooters or rock wool, and place them into my homemade aero cloner...it's a small dwc system but I use a big air stone and the bubbling is enough to keep the roots wet and aerated at the same time. I clone using the same method too. Been using this method for 2 yrs now and am still 100% success rate so far. I use a product called Dyna-Grow KLN which is THE BEST rooting product around. It is basically a "liquid" rooting gel and it makes you roots go crazy with growth. Also, if you are two weeks in your plants need some sort of nutrients, I use 1/4 strength until they are growing vigorously then I up the nutes.

The most important thing in DWC is maintaining the roots. Water temp, and bennies like Hydroguard or enzymes like Hygrozyme or Cannazyme will keep your roots healthy and prevent root rot. Or you can go the opposite of the beneficial bacteria route and use Res Clear or UC Roots to sterilize the water killing all the beneficial bacteria but also all the harmful ones too.

Root rot is caused by bad bacteria.

May I suggest a slight adjustment to that and say that "bad bacteria" are everywhere, so rot is really caused more by bad conditions than bad bacteria. Warm, stagnant, oxygen-deprived, nutrient-rich water is trouble. Water that is cool, oxygen rich, and circulating well (buy an a little aquarium pump) is a much healthier environment. HydroGuard beneficial bacteria are expensive and have a short shelf line, but are a popular choice to seed the reservoir with "good" bacteria.

$35 for 32oz of hydroguard, and you use 2ml per gallon...so not expensive at all and lasts for a while if stored properly. Water temp, circulation, ph levels, and oxygen will only get you so far, using bennies or an enzyme will ensure your roots are healthy and also improve plant growth. For $35 a bottle it's a no brainer...I highly recommend.

Z7, Hygrozyme, and Cannazyme are all enzyme products to keep roots healthy. Hydroguard is a beneficial bacteria product. I use Hydroguard and I've been experimenting with using Hygrozyme at the same time, but I think that it is overkill. No you don't need both, I would try the enzyme product and see how it goes.

Unless you have a water chiller to keep your res at sub 70F, I would def go with either type of these products to keep your roots healthy.

Your roots look pretty healthy, although I've never seen a green root before! Is light getting in your res through the other net pots....it's hard to tell?
I would recommend a silica product. I use Botanicare Silica Blast at the moment, but I really liked Dyna-Grow Pro-tekt as it was more concentrated. The difference with and without silica is staggering during veg. Get a fulvic/humic product like BioAg Ful-Power to aid in nute takeup. I also use some liquid seaweed in my res but in small doses. Oh, and def get a Cal/Mag product...cannabis plants love calcium and magnesium. Epsom salt is a good source of magnesium.

So at what age do I give them nutrients?

You can give seedlings seedling-level nutrients from day one. I simply do not understand this business I keep seeing here of starving seedlings as though nutrients were somehow toxic. If it's green and getting light, it's photosynthesizing and can use fertilizer!

In DWC I think you should give them some form of nutes right off the bat, well I do anyway as I use rockwool or rapid rooters in my baby DWC aero cloner. I'll use the Dyna-Grow KLN I mentioned earlier (this shit is magic in a bottle, if there is anything I can vouch for, it is this stuff), combined with either General Hydroponics Rapid Start or a very very weak nute solution. If the Jiffy pellet has some nutes in it then it kinda confuses things, you don't want to overdue it, so then you have to wait for the plant to tell you it needs feeding, which is when it will show a difficiency. I'm doing a grow journal right now and in my first week my plants weren't happy. I had the seedlings in rock wool in my aero cloner, and when they sprouted roots I moved them into hydroton pellets in net pots in DWC buckets.. I used mycorrhizae and Recharge (first time I have tried the Recharge like this, I usually just use it in soil) sprinkled on the roots and the pellets. Well they didn't like the Recharge at all, they struggled like hell, until I gave then a mixed solution of KLN/Rapid Start and poured it right onto the pellets so it went through the rockwell as well. This is the same solution the roots were in in the aero cloner. 4-5 days later boom, roots like mad. And I've been using this for 2 yrs now with 100% record, no bullshit, I swear by it.
IMG_419518.JPG
IMG_419717.JPG

Your roots look good. My roots aren't like that. Is there a chance that I could've put my seeds in to far the reason they acting like that??

The Rapid Rooters (black medium the clones are in) are not in the water, they are 2-3 inches above the water being sprayed by the bubbles bursting....it is basically a poor man's aero cloner lol. I was going to make a DIY aero cloner but this method has worked perfectly so far. It doesn't seems like enough water spray but if you use enough air/air stones you can create some serious bubbling which will keep the medium wet but not too wet.

My roots look good because 1) the solution I'm using in my cloner res, 2) those are clones I cut and those roots are brand new, they are still hanging in the air above the water line, being sprayed by the bubbles. They won't look as good when they are submerged in water and nutes 24/7. On my bigger plants my roots are a little stained from the nutes and the liquid seaweed I use, they are still healthy but not white, more beige/pale yellow.

Back
Top Bottom