EmeraldLungs' - Multi-Strain - Organic - CFL - Grow

EmeraldLungs

Hello all :)
I will be using this journal to keep track of a few different strains, at different stages of their growth cycle.
I am an absolute beginner, but am learning as much as I can and hopefully this venture will allow me to collect more information -and hopefully a lovely successful yield :)

Day 1
(3/4/15)

4 Aurora Indica seeds were planted, after 3 days of germination (24hrs in cup of water and 48hrs in wet paper towel/Ziploc bag), using heating pad for warmth.

Planted these 2 at 2:45pm:
aigerm.jpg

And these at 11:30pm:
MIScgerm.jpg

They are planted in Jiffy pots, in 80% Ferti-Lome brand sphagnum peat moss, horticultural perlite, dolomitic limestone, calcitic limestone, wetting agent; 20% perlite, and approximately 1/2-1 tsp each of bone meal and blood meal mixed into the bottom 1/3 of the pot. Watered with a mix of 3/4 filtered and boiled rain water, 1/4 tap without chlorine.
I put Ziploc bags over the pots for humidity, and they are now in my cardboard grow box with my 2 other vegging plants, though I've lessened the lights a little for the new babies :) My usual set-up is 9 100w -equivalent CFL bulbs, 4 up close and 5 up above, a little farther away.

Which brings us to my two Afghani plants :)
I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing when I planted these. I germinated some seeds in wet paper towels, and planted the two that germinated together in a pot of Miracle Grow brand succulent/cacti dirt (as I said, I had no idea what I was doing, just stuck them in a pot ofoil that I already had). The seedlings shot up the next day, both had very long stems as I did not have them in sufficient lighting. They continued to grow, and not too long ago I transplanted them into [I[separate[/I] pots of 50/50 Ferti-Lome and Fox Farm Ocean Forest, with about 1/2tbs of bone meal mixed into each. I didn't want to shock them too much with all of the new nutes they were't used to (which is the reasoning behind 50/50). I am planning for the next transplant to be only FFOF, with various organic amendments. Last water, I watered-in a spoonful of dolomite lime.

They have honestly been growing better than I ever expected, for starting out knowing so very little (basically nothing). Since then, I have crammed in as much research as possible (and am continuing to), so hopefully this new grow will be successful, going into it with more/better information. I've been through a few ups and downs, but won't bore you with the details. They seem to be doing alright, though :) One of them didn't seem to respond as well to the transplant as the other, and was growing very slow for a while, with rather droopy leaves - but things seem to be improving.

The sex of the Afghanis is unknown.
Lighting time has been 24/0 up until this point, but I am going to begin 20/4 soon (after the seedlings sprout, so I can get them on a regular cycle).

This is Grails, the bigger of the 2, getting some sun outside:
IMG_20150306_172838.jpg

IMG_20150306_172947.jpg

IMG_20150306_173106.jpg

IMG_20150306_173137.jpg

And this is the smaller one, Holy :)
IMG_20150306_173205.jpg

IMG_20150306_173241.jpg

IMG_20150306_173307.jpg

Day 3
(3/6/15)

The Aurora Indica seedlings have arrived!
:idea: I must make a correction to my original post: I planted 2 Aurora Indica seeds and 2 mystery seeds (they were freebies sent with my Auroras), not 4 Aurora Indicas.

I also wanted to add that the Aurora Indicas are feminized, but the mystery seeds are regular -an added mystery, I suppose ;)

The Ai babies:

The other 2 mystery seeds haven't popped up yet, but they did have smaller tap roots when I planted them then the Auroras did (if that matters).

In other news, I began some low stress training on the 2 Afghanis, and I will be posting another entry with photos included to explain more soon!

Day 4
(3/7/15)

I began Low stress training using the tape method, around 2:30am or so,on both Afghanis. They seem to have responded well to it so far, even though it hasn't even been a full 24hrs yet. Here are some photos I took around 6pm today..

Grails:

Holy:

About a week ago-ish, perhaps a little less (I should've recorded this, bute I finally got on track with keeping track, ha:icon_cool:oops: ) I topped Grails, and FIMed Holy. Here's what they look like as of earlier today:

Holy:

Grails:

Until next time :cheer:

Ok, so most things are going well, but I've had a few hopefully minor issues, which I will explain in a bit - first, let's get to the good stuff!

The Aurora Indica seedlings seem to be coming along quite nicely, they even have names, now, and I already adore them immensely :kiss:

These photos were taken on 3/8, which would be Day 5 (5 days from planting, 3 from sprouting).

This is Alice:
IMG_20150308_191803.jpg

And this is Luna:
IMG_20150308_191932.jpg

Here's some that were taken on 3/11, Day 8:

Alice
IMAG15463.jpg

IMAG15473.jpg

Luna
IMAG15482.jpg

IMAG15543.jpg

Now I suppose we can get to one of the negative points.. it's a bit difficult to see in the picture, but Luna's leaves seem to have some whitish orange spots on the ends. I've also noticed this on my 2 vegging plants as well. At first I thought this was heat damage or burns from the lights, as most of the spots first appeared on the tips of the top leaves..but now I've noticed it on some of the lower ones. I'm trying to figure it out. There's no residue when I touch the spots, so as of now I'm thinking it is either a ventilation problem, or perhaps nute burn. I will get some good photos of the spots soon - if anyone has any insight into this problem or advice, it would be welcomed with open arms :hug: I'm going to get some fans set up asap; I'm hoping it isn't anything too serious!

Here are some photos showing the topping and FIMing progress on the Afghanis - these were taken on 3/10.

Grails, topped:
IMAG15352.jpg

IMAG15361.jpg

IMAG15374.jpg

IMAG15384.jpg

IMAG15393.jpg

Holy, FIMed:
IMAG15332.jpg

IMAG15341.jpg

IMAG15432.jpg

IMAG15451.jpg

As you can see, all of the new growth has blades that seem to be chopped off at the ends..what I'm guessing has happened is that I took off too much in the FIM. This was my very first at attempt at it, hopefully next time I'll do it a bit better. Or...is this what a FIM is actually supposed to look like?? I've never seen a photo of anything looking like that. If not, has this ever happened to anyone?

Anyway, even though I suppose I officially can say Fuck I Missed my FIM.. it does seem to be growing quite well despite the slightly chopped off and deformed looking ends of the leaves. There are 3 heads that grew out first, then 2 growing out of what seems to be normal new growth..but I'm just honestly not sure what it is going to turn into, it's just so weird looking! :hmmmm:
If anyone has any insight to offer it would be appreciated. I'm just happy it is continuing to grow, and I'm very curious to see what happens! :peace::love:

Yesterday was moving day!:green_heart:

Holy and Grails (Afghanis) were transplanted into much larger pots, and then the Aurora Indica seedlings were moved from their Jiffy pots into the ceramic pots that were home to the Afghanis before this transplant.

SO FAR everyone seems to be "adjusting" just fine, as far as I can tell. I can see significantly noticeable growth already since the move, so I took that as a good sign, but obviously I don't really know, as I'm still learning -we'll see what happens:popcorn:

Also, neither Afghanis were root bound or even close, as I was getting worried about since their containers were probably not any bigger than 2 gallons.

Here's a few photos from the move (3/14):

Grails
GRAILSROOTS.jpg

GRAILSROOTS2.jpg

Holy
HOLYROOTS.jpg

HOLYROOTS2.jpg

I didn't get any photos of the Auroras being transplanted, but I will be taking some soon of them in their new home - as well a much needed update of growth progress :yummy:

I'm also proud to announce that the remaining 3 Aurora Indicas have sprouted!

This is Skye, she showed up on the morning of 3/14
SKYESEEDLING.jpg

SKYESEEDLING2.jpg

And the other 2 arrived this morning, looking healthy and adorable as can be :circle-of-love: (names tba)!
So that's 5/5 of the Aurora Indica seeds I ordered, germinated and sprouted to completion - unfortunately none if the freebies have had any success, hut we'll see what happens, I haven't completely given up hope..

'til next time :peace::love:

Quite a lot has been happening in my little mobile garden, lately! :circle-of-love:

Mostly, a fair amount of growth, on all of the different aged plants. Looking back at the photos of the Afghanis posted on here, I honestly can't believe just how big they are in comparison! :rollit:

Also, because I'm too excited to keep it in any longer, I must announce that the Afghanis have began their 12/12 light cycle (3/17) and I don't want to jinx it, BUT I think I see pre-lowers that just might look like females - both of them! But I really cannot tell yet, and as this is my first grow, it is my first time deciphering teeny tiny pre-flowers.. anyone reading this, send some girly vibes my way :cheer:

Ok, so let's see some photos, shall we?

Portraits of all 5 Aurora Indica girls-

This is Alice, 2 weeks old:

IMAG15851.jpg

IMAG15841.jpg

IMAG15831.jpg

Luna, 2 weeks old:

IMAG15792.jpg

IMAG15781.jpg

IMAG15763.jpg

IMAG15735.jpg

This is Jett, 9 days old:

IMAG15723.jpg

IMAG15701.jpg

IMAG15681.jpg

Skye, 10 days old:

IMAG15673.jpg

IMAG15664.jpg

IMAG15652.jpg

Leo, 9 days old:

IMAG15604.jpg

IMAG15593.jpg

IMAG15583.jpg

good lookin :thumb:

Thank you so much! It was feeling pretty lonely around here, haha, thanks for your comment :)

no problem :high-five:

you've done a great job, i'm looking forward to more updates.

best of luck

:Namaste:

Well, I think it's about time for a very long overdue update!

Good news, one of my two Afghanis (and as luck would have it, the bigger of the two) turned out to be female - and what a beautiful, bushy lady she is! Unfortunately, the other was male, and sadly had to go. But, it isn't too much of a loss, being that we've already got a full house, with all of the Aurora Indicas - who, all except one, seem to be flourishing ever so nicely!

Without any further ramblings, let's get to some family photos :yummy:

(these were taken about 2 weeks ago, or so..new ones coming soon!)

Alice:
IMAG08589.jpg

IMAG085411.jpg

Jett:
IMAG08578.jpg

Skye:
IMAG08556.jpg

Leo Jane:
IMAG085610.jpg

And here's Grails:
IMAG086613.jpg

And here's Grails' very first (noticeable) pistols!
IMAG0849-1.jpg

IMAG0851-1.jpg

IMAG08718.jpg

IMAG087210.jpg

IMAG08737.jpg

IMAG08748.jpg

IMAG08768.jpg

I somehow neglected to upload any photos of Luna, the other older Aurora, so she will just have to be included in the next post (she's not even that size anymore, anyway haha).

Updated pistil (or should I say flower, now!) photos coming soon!

grats on the girls :)

sorry to hear about the dude, he sadly had to go indeed.

well, everything seems tip top :thumb:

im growing afghani gens right now aswell, if you find the time drop by to say hi :)

grats on the girls :)

sorry to hear about the dude, he sadly had to go indeed.

well, everything seems tip top :thumb:

im growing afghani gens right now aswell, if you find the time drop by to say hi :)

Thank you for stopping back in!
And definitely, I am already subbed and keep up with your grow, which might I say is rather magnificent!
Actually, yours was one of the first - if not THE first - journals I checked out when I began perusing this site :)

Thanks again, I'm more than happy to have you here !
All the best to your lovely ladies :yummy:

thank you for the kind words :)

i enjoy your garden a lot aswell, it's always been a dream of mine to be able to grow outdoors so i'm living it vividly through you :laughtwo:

we're a family over there, feel free to drop in for a hello anytime you want :laughtwo:

meanwhile keep medicating ofc

best of luck with your ladies

Time for some family portraits!
These were taken about a week ago, I know, I need to keep this more current...but a week isn't all that long, right?
Though it seems to be, the way these ladies have been growing - I think they just might be playing a little game with each other, to see who can touch the clouds first! Definitely no complaints on my part :cheer:

The other big news is, due to a mistake on my part, I let my Auroras stay outside for 2, count 'em, TWO nights in a row, and whaddya know... 3 out of 4 had sprouted pistils! I panicked at first, but I decided to just begin (or continue, shall I say) flowering the 2 older Auroras (Luna and Alice), since they are growing quite rapidly outside, and apparently they are ready!
The smaller one, though (Jett) I really don't want to flower yet as she is not nearly big enough - so I'm trying to revert her back to veg..we will see how it goes. Might end up with an experimental mini plant..and I'm all for experiments, so who knows.

These photos were taken right before they began flowering..soon will be some nice pistil pics :love:

Also, a transplant is going to be happening ASAP for the 4 Auroras..already have all the supplies, just need to get busy (moving day photos will commence, also) :)

JETT:
JETT.jpg

JETT2.jpg

LEO JANE:
LEO.jpg

LEO2.jpg

LUNA:
LUNA2.jpg

LUNA3.jpg

ALICE:
ALICE16.jpg

ALICE22.jpg

ALICE31.jpg

Until next time:circle-of-love:

looking mighty fine :)
excellent job, loving your outdoor garden :high-five:

It's flower appreciation Friday! The first phenomenon of possibly many, probably none, haha.

Either way, here's some lovely photos of Grails' evolving flowers, as they are most definitely progressing enough to warrant an update of recent pictures :)

Oh and she also got a haircut, I finally just went for it and she doesn't seem to be having any ill effects whatsoever - if anything, quite the opposite...it's been a few days, so we'll see. More on the defoliation to come!

she's a beauty :thumb:

nice colourful pistils :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

Back
Top Bottom