Fan on in dark time

Skillsallround

420 Member
Do you all leave your fan(s) running at night time or do you you have them on the timer with your light? Personally my whole “kit” is on a timer so the fan stops when it’s dark time... p.s talking about regular fans not intake or out take

I run no fans lights off. However, I do run a dehumidifier. So, I get some air movement. And, I'm a bit anal about cleanliness, and my plants are healthy, so I see no need to run any fans.

That's just how I roll....

I run no fans lights off. However, I do run a dehumidifier. So, I get some air movement. And, I'm a bit anal about cleanliness, and my plants are healthy, so I see no need to run any fans.

That's just how I roll....

You do run air circulation and you remove the humidity from the air that's all that's needed to keep the nasties at bay.

Depends how air tight your set up is too as not changing out the air if you have it off half of the time, as removing heat not the only reason for them. I think most folks run them all the time but if it not causing you issues or worried about other things it's one of those "if it working then don't matter" kind of things.

I'm having a slight dilemma with this right now.

I run the extractor fan around the clock. The light, a TSL 2000, generates good heat in the tent during the day. When the 19/5 lights go out in the night, the temperature drops from 24°C (75°F) to around 18°C (64.5°F) . Is that too cold for those 5 hours - which could become become 12 cold hours during flowering?

I could run the extractor fan on the light timer, which may help a little since the circulation cools the whole room when the lights are out. There is the customary small fan in the bottom of the tent which could run around the clock (as it does now), but that might not be enough to vent the tent adequately. I could get a heater of sorts, and switch it on with a timer when the lights go out, but the budget says NO right now.

What should I do? Run the fan around the clock or on the light timer? Can those 5-12 hours of 18°C (64.5°F) be harmful to the plants?

Edit: By stopping the fan at night I'd only get the temp up to 20°C (68°F) as that's the ambient temperature in the room without the fan running. So I guess it comes down to what's worst: 18°C (64.5°F) and air circulation -or- 20°C (68°F) and no circulation. I've put it on the timer for this night to gather some data (min/max temps and humidity and plant happiness...).

What should I do? Run the fan around the clock or on the light timer? Can those 5-12 hours of 18°C (64.5°F) be harmful to the plants?

My shed gets a lot cooler than that at night (or at least in the fall and winter) brings out the colors more if they prone to that when they in Flower. Might vary on the Strain to a point, as maybe something from the Tropics where it never gets down to 40 at night might dislike it, but otherwise it would never make it in the wild/outside as many places get chilly at night this time of year or when the plant is later on in the cycle of Flowering. So I don't see how 60s are going to affect it during lights off, but that just IMHO and my point of view on all that where folks try and keep it the exact same temp/humidity at all times as to me that not exactly "natural/normal/typical in nature"

Back
Top Bottom