Finally, I Can Grow

Put an '@' sign before his name like this @Bill284 . You'll get a drop down autofill menu of all like named screen names.
Thanks Azi. :thanks:
Have a great day Buddy. šŸ¦ƒ

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž

It finally happened. My state will turn legal on Dec 7th. The voters did this..not the politicians. Now they are scrambling to find out how to tax it. I am now allowed 6 plants per adult or a total of 12. That is way more than enough for my needs but nice to know I have options.
So for the past year I've laid in wait on this issue 2 legalization. I started creeping around the grow forums again to get caught up on this ever changing world of indoor growing and start gathering needed items in anticipation of the issue passing. I have some experience with cultivation using hid and mh lamps but it is a different era today. I remember when led lights were just coming into the scene. Folks experimenting with cannabis grows. Holy cow, look at us now.
I'll be starting a grow log soon and I look forward to meeting some new friends.
Howdy, I Just wanted to say I still use the sodium's for flowers there is a BIG debate about them vs LED I think for the little bit of electricity my sodium's use for a 12 hr shift it's worth it to me but I do veg under LED'S a 400w Next light and Sun Systems LEC'S
I love those things 630 watt dual bulb w/controller my sodiums are gavitas I have the controller for those 2 I really like the sunrise/sunset,auto dim for heat functions! Happy Holidays and Grow on! āœŒļø

Howdy, I Just wanted to say I still use the sodium's for flowers there is a BIG debate about them vs LED I think for the little bit of electricity my sodium's use for a 12 hr shift it's worth it to me but I do veg under LED'S a 400w Next light and Sun Systems LEC'S
I love those things 630 watt dual bulb w/controller my sodiums are gavitas I have the controller for those 2 I really like the sunrise/sunset,auto dim for heat functions! Happy Holidays and Grow on! āœŒļø
Thanks for stopping in. I think the debate will roll on for eternity..lol. It's just nice to know there are options today. Folks get set in their ways and change is hard for some. Erbody wants to grow the biggest, baddest, most potent plant. They choose their own path and then pull out the soap box and inform all who will listen. It's their way or the highway. I don't gravitate towards folks like that. I like to stay open minded about everything growing.

Ive never grown with led lamps before. Starting seed with a shop light is bout as close as I've come. I remember when LEDs were some purple lamp folks were experimenting with...not real successfully either. Today you can have the sun god Ra in your grow space at half the cost and little heat. No brainier there.

Lol i remember the old T 12's youehad to buy 2 ballast for metal halide or sodium then they came out with the switchable ballasts
I had this old factory sodium Man that thing was heavy and loud it was really hard to keep it hidden lol. Hey what that loud humming noise coming from under your basement steps???? "Shrugs shoulders" "IDK!" id say šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Lol i remember the old T 12's youehad to buy 2 ballast for metal halide or sodium then they came out with the switchable ballasts
I had this old factory sodium Man that thing was heavy and loud it was really hard to keep it hidden lol. Hey what that loud humming noise coming from under your basement steps???? "Shrugs shoulders" "IDK!" id say šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Awful lot of light coming from there to šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Thanks, appreciate ya stopping by. I'm scroggin one tent and autos in the other. Fems in dwc and the autos in promix hd myco. TPS nutes. I'm rusty at this grow stuff but basics never change. It's a big relief knowing I won't have the black camo squad beating down my door at 4am..lol
Oh a dive back in the canna waters! Even better! You're going to love the technology bump! Sounds like fun!

There are or were quite a few of us from the same state on this board. The legalization is a relief for me as well. I have been growing for years albeit small grows. They had decriminalized it to the point that LE never gave a crap about the little guys doing personal grows unless it was tied to some other type of criminal activity when they did a knock-knock on your door. At least now I don't have to hide it or the harvesting smell.

As far as growing there are hundreds of ways to do it. Once you gain a good grasp on what the plants expect and want you develop your own style. To start with I would pick a style that suites you and follow it to a "T" the first time through which it sounds like you have.

The largest difference with growing today vs growing even 5-10 years ago is the availability of good seed stock. The choices are almost endless and sticking with a good breeder almost ensures consistent results. The farm bill allowed the seed companies to be legal in terms of sales since the seeds contain no THC. The web is full of domestic available retailers. Gone are the days of trying to sending cash overseas and hoping the packaging is done well enough to get past customs.

I grow with LED's hydroponically currently and have been for some time. Most of the in state/local personal growers that I have run across are dirt farmers. They tend towards the tried and true method of soil and organics. Both methods produce good end product just at different rates and yields.

Lighting is personal preference at this time. MH/HPS have always worked and worked well. The only downside is heat. Modern day high end LED's are pushing the similar wattage in the 650-1000 watt (true current draws not bogus claims of equivalency). With similar wattage being consumed the heat is still there but the LED's spread it over larger areas rather than being concentrated around the bulb.

The only thing I don't care for with LED's is the intensity drops pretty quick as you move away from the light source but the lack of heat allows the light to be placed in closer proximity to the plants. LED's also seem to have a tenancy to grow plants with tighter internodal spacing.

Growing cannabis is very straight forward. Patience is the single best trait you can have. Most of the problems I see people face on this board are self induced. People tend to mess with the plants too much and change things up mid grow where there weren't problems to begin with.

If you haven't grown before or at least in a long time is to plan out your harvest strategy. The drying and curing makes or breaks a grow. Don't leave this until the last minute.

All this is simply my opinion as a grower and formed by my experiences. You will have your own as you move from grow to grow. Good luck with your grows and enjoy living in a free state.

There are or were quite a few of us from the same state on this board. The legalization is a relief for me as well. I have been growing for years albeit small grows. They had decriminalized it to the point that LE never gave a crap about the little guys doing personal grows unless it was tied to some other type of criminal activity when they did a knock-knock on your door. At least now I don't have to hide it or the harvesting smell.

As far as growing there are hundreds of ways to do it. Once you gain a good grasp on what the plants expect and want you develop your own style. To start with I would pick a style that suites you and follow it to a "T" the first time through which it sounds like you have.

The largest difference with growing today vs growing even 5-10 years ago is the availability of good seed stock. The choices are almost endless and sticking with a good breeder almost ensures consistent results. The farm bill allowed the seed companies to be legal in terms of sales since the seeds contain no THC. The web is full of domestic available retailers. Gone are the days of trying to sending cash overseas and hoping the packaging is done well enough to get past customs.

I grow with LED's hydroponically currently and have been for some time. Most of the in state/local personal growers that I have run across are dirt farmers. They tend towards the tried and true method of soil and organics. Both methods produce good end product just at different rates and yields.

Lighting is personal preference at this time. MH/HPS have always worked and worked well. The only downside is heat. Modern day high end LED's are pushing the similar wattage in the 650-1000 watt (true current draws not bogus claims of equivalency). With similar wattage being consumed the heat is still there but the LED's spread it over larger areas rather than being concentrated around the bulb.

The only thing I don't care for with LED's is the intensity drops pretty quick as you move away from the light source but the lack of heat allows the light to be placed in closer proximity to the plants. LED's also seem to have a tenancy to grow plants with tighter internodal spacing.

Growing cannabis is very straight forward. Patience is the single best trait you can have. Most of the problems I see people face on this board are self induced. People tend to mess with the plants too much and change things up mid grow where there weren't problems to begin with.

If you haven't grown before or at least in a long time is to plan out your harvest strategy. The drying and curing makes or breaks a grow. Don't leave this until the last minute.

All this is simply my opinion as a grower and formed by my experiences. You will have your own as you move from grow to grow. Good luck with your grows and enjoy living in a free state.
Thank you for the insight Sam. It has been a while but basics never change... technology on the other hand...wow. At one point I too was a mh hid junkie but with today's choices why would I want to struggle with heat..lol.
I think it is kinda obvious when ya look at my journal I have grown before indoors and outside most recently a few years ago but no indoors for almost a few decades. When issue 2 became a thing the wheels started turning in my head. Set out a plan and so far I think I'm on track for some nice bud in a few months. Once I get this train rolling I'll plan the endgame. Matter fact I was just talking to the wife about harvest time yesterday. Throwing my ideas at her as if she understood...which she does not..bless her heart...lol. She very supportive of all this. Very happy with that.
We agree on growers getting to hands on and overwhelming a plant with light or water. Simple mistakes made into catastrophe mainly by the new grower. Totally understand where they're at in mindset. They want it and they want it now. Not a good practice or montra for growing cannabis..lol. I'm at the early stages of life in my tents. Sure I'm anxious but have learned over the years to be more patient. Let them do their thing. Provide what they need and get on with my life. I love growing but there's more to life.
Thanks for taking the time to remind me of common shortcomings. That's what is great about this forum. Always someone out there willing to help a brother or sister out. Love this place.

Hi Mobster, I'm a bit late to the party. Welcome to 420 Mag! I look forward to seeing you around. It will be great if you add a link to your journal in your signature so we can find it easily. I'm following the discussions here with interest. I love your comment about having the sun god Ra in the room :)

Hi Mobster, I'm a bit late to the party. Welcome to 420 Mag! I look forward to seeing you around. It will be great if you add a link to your journal in your signature so we can find it easily. I'm following the discussions here with interest. I love your comment about having the sun god Ra in the room :)
Thank you, I've not been here long but I'm having a lot of fun and learning way to much to remember..lol. So many good folks here and many are willing to help a guy out. Glad I joined. I'll try to figure out how to add that sig. I'm kinda rusty with forum navigation. Thanks again Carman. I'm gonna have to come see what your doing.
Edit: Got it! Thanks!

Congratulations @greenmobster440 on the new Ohio law that the people passed. And welcome.

I am now allowed 6 plants per adult or a total of 12. That is way more than enough for my needs but nice to know I have options.
I am suspicious of what your reefer madness legislature will do with it. Particularly since you have that up to 12-plant limit, but as far as I can see you only have a 2.5 ounce possession limit. What the legislature does with those possession limits and penalties for growing over will be interesting.
Keeping the 4x4 n 4x8 and gifting the two 2x4 to each of my kids.
Here in Michigan we have a 2.5 ounce "travel" limit and an additional 7.5 ounce home/locked possession limit for a total of 10 ounces max possession. Of that 15 grams may be concentrates.

Home growers can't give it away here, unless it is really fine weed. Really fine.

Everybody is growing. Dispensary prices have taken a dive with $100 ounces and $30 sale prices. I know a lot of growers who are giving away their larger tents and lights, ones like the ones you have, and opting for what you just gave your kids. You may want that back!

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

If you do ever consider downsizing, like what is going on here with home growers in Michigan, you might want to visit this thread dedicated to growing in smaller spaces. There are some excellent growers over there getting over 2 ounces a square foot. And some very interesting conversations.

The Micro Space

IMHO there was a time these smaller grows were not very rewarding, but with the latest LEDs and lights like the @ViparSpectra XS 1500 Pro, my yields have skyrocketed. Originally I had planned a total of 36 square feet of growing space, but I never finished building my largest cabinet. I now grow plenty for friends and family in 20 square feet -- 3, 2x2 boxes one each for breeding, seedling and veg stages; and one 2x4 box for flowering.

they get advice from the commercial players whose incentive is to minimize competition with their ridiculous caps on plant counts. 12 actually is pretty workable for a home grower, but that's like capping the number of tomato plants you can grow.

With the limits I have described above we have pretty much kept pricing in the commercial market in check. Our laws, which include provisions for gifting, were part of the old hippie movement going back to the early 70s. We didn't get everything we wanted, but in terms of keeping the black market in check and dispensary prices low the law has succeeded.

Overall I'm concerned about the effect of reefer madness politicians and a 2.5-ounce possession limit will have on prices and home growing in Ohio.

Simply food for thought.

Y'all have a great day!

:passitleft:

MGM

I see in the news where the politicians are scrambling to see how much more tax they can slam on and where the funds go. Also freaking out over gummies and kids..lol. Im not sure the extent of possession limits yet. Not to concerned about it as long as I can grow my own.
As is a dozen plants is plenty for my needs. Will I go over that. Prob so..lol. Especially if I start a batch of reg seed but that would just be a short period of time till they are culled out.

I may just kick myself down the road on those 4x2s. I get what your saying. Small grows are easier to manage with less energy and supply needs. I prob will downsize at some point. That big tent will hold autos, clones, new young plants, and some supplies. So it's kinda playing a double roll with autos growing at the other end. Searching for some shelves to put on the one side for seedlings n things.
I know it's a big setup all round but I'm sure you can understand my excitement of finally getting back into all this...lol. Man, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure that'll wear off in the future but for now I'm riding that green wave. Thanks for stopping in and sharing some info. That's exactly what I love about this place. Folks always willing to help.

I know it's a big setup all round but I'm sure you can understand my excitement of finally getting back into all this...lol.
Absolutely! It's why I have all that precut lumber in what was to be my grow room!
Man, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure that'll wear off in the future but for now I'm riding that green wave.
Looking forward to seeing it.
Thanks for stopping in and sharing some info. That's exactly what I love about this place. Folks always willing to help.
You're welcome. It is a great place is, isn't it?

MGM

Back
Top Bottom