The Micro Space

The Micro Space

There was a robust thread hijack over in the November Photo of the Month contest regarding how some trends in the law, increasing social acceptance, and market overproduction of weed was driving grows in smaller spaces.

Not the place for it over there. And a suggestion was made that this would make a great thread on its own. So, here we go.

A place to discuss plants, people, places and spaces, problems and political issues that affect you as a micro grower.

What is a Micro Space?

If you’re here you already have an idea of what you believe a micro grow is. And that’s cool. Maybe you’d like to share your definition.

To me it is anything less than that square meter used by seed companies to define harvest productivity, i.e. grams per square meter. Or another way of looking at it, is a space that requires significant manipulation of the plant, light, water, and nutes to successfully grow in a given space.

Growing in 2’x2’ (60 cm x60 cm), and 2’x4’ (60 cm x120 cm) spaces would apply. Those are the spaces I grow in. And certainly there are some height-limited spaces that qualify, too. What space are you growing in? And ...

What are Your Issues and Insights?

Whatever you define as micro growing, I think there is a commonality between us in terms of the challenges we face, the choices we make, and the places where we grow bud.

I hope we can make great use of this space.

MGM

Thank you, grayeyes. I tried to locate the yesum handle and send a message but I found no such handle. Does he go by a different name here?

go have a look at what @Light Addict has accomplished with a true micro grow in small spaces. then google space buckets.

anything in a tent or 2 x 2 is not really micro as far as space, but you can grow a micro style plant in that space. i run hempy which is considered a micro style, but it will easily produce higher than a standard soil grow if done correct.

i used to grow in a crawl space under 4ft, the height would be considered micro, but i had plants trained out quite wide.

go have a look at what @Light Addict has accomplished with a true micro grow in small spaces.
Thank you, bluter. @Light Addict is somebody who I would like to have as part of The Micro Place discussion thread. I see the thread as a community that can be a help to new growers, old wisened growers and sponsors.
then google space buckets.
I have studied them and find them attractive. They are what I try to emulate while still remaining portable.
anything in a tent or 2 x 2 is not really micro as far as space, but you can grow a micro style plant in that space.
We have different views as to what micro is. But you point out something important: your passion and identification with a very important part of the grower market.

I would call it the ultra-micro grower. I was one long ago.

As a retired marketing executive with a mind that doesn't stop collecting data and connecting dots, I feel there is an emerging market of passionate home growers who are growing on a limited spatial footprint that where plants require some special pruning, and with limited electrical systems that do not require special wiring.

As somebody who grows on a 2x2 footprint and limited height I have to prune and train, and as my handle indicates, consider myself as a micro grower. This is where my marketing head says, "We don't want to exclude anybody."

I will take a look at @Light Addict's stuff. And I will ask this. If @Light Addict is a friend of yours on this site could you invite him over to share? I can contact him, but if you know him, that would be better.

i run hempy which is considered a micro style, but it will easily produce higher than a standard soil grow if done correct.
I've had harvests with what I call "hempy reformed" that would lead me to say you are absolutely correct.
i used to grow in a crawl space under 4ft, the height would be considered micro, but i had plants trained out quite wide.

I used to grow in a similar knee-wall area of an attic and had to do the same thing. Long ago. Long, long ago. Look at what Ed Rosenthal's guide showed as primo bud back in his first edition, in 1977, and what his 2010 edition showed as primo bud.

DSC_0043.jpeg

It's been a long time. First grow started back in 1972 during a 2-week period when pot was legal for two weeks in Michigan.

Skipped high school to go to the first Ann Arbor Hash Bash to celebrate. Came home with some bag seed and planted it in an aquarium in my bedroom. Mom found it, and I moved it to the woods out back. Somebody found it when it was 5' tall.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you drop in often and share your thoughts.

MGM

Interesting. Today I thought he may not be online so I ran a search for his posts. Got 9 pages worth.

YMMV ?
I am a confused, cancer-riddled, radiation-ravaged, hormone-depleted, foggy-headed old man, and new to this site.

I simply had problems finding him. After this post I tried some more until I found him.

Thank you!

MGM

I was asked to post this over here sometime new coming out in Feb or so from Vivosun for micro growers

Dust,

Thank you for sharing.

Long ago I imagined products like that for the home grower. It is good to see companies with the marketing vision and modern technology to make it happen.

For some home growers, new to growing because of changing laws and increasing social acceptance, a product like this can be an excellent turn-key solution. Really nice!

As I mentioned in your most excellent journal my first thought as an old ad guy was:

"How to grow your favorite plant, without blowing a fuse."

Addressing the daunting issues of first starting a grow -- in terms of electrical requirements and reducing frustrations and fears for a first grow.

Looking forward to the introduction.

MGM

lol it's literally an updated phototron from the 70's

nothing new here folks.

edit : do a search for phototron here on the board.

lol it's literally an updated phototron from the 70's

nothing new here folks.

edit : do a search for phototron here on the board.
I've seen early examples and forgot them.

I think today's LEDs make them more practical. Also with prohibition the market was not there for them. Sometimes there is right product, wrong time.

Thanks for following. I appreciate your feedback. Nothing like robust conversation among friends.

MGM

I think today's LEDs make them more practical. Also with prohibition the market was not there for them. Sometimes there is right product, wrong time.

there's always been a market for similar products. phototrons harken back to early - mid 70's.
there were solarium type systems that pre-date the phototron as well.

in fact there are a number of different versions of these things. there's even been a proliferation of them recently. most are hard sided cabinet types. the majority are aimed at higher end customers and are quite expensive.

the vivosun is set apart by it's soft side mini-tent style, and possible entry point cost.

i'd be interested to see a comparison between systems.

edit : if they send me one and i'll use and review it .. :p

there's always been a market for similar products. phototrons harken back to early - mid 70's.
there were solarium type systems that pre-date the phototron as well.
That's cool that you remember that. I was a student mostly that decade and likely forgot because I could not afford one. I may have, long ago, seen something like that and decided I could build something similar for less money, and then forgotten the source of the inspiration.
in fact there are a number of different versions of these things. there's even been a proliferation of them recently. most are hard sided cabinet types. the majority are aimed at higher end customers and are quite expensive.
Yes, there is one on my facebook feed. Ha! Along with an ad for getting a degree in cannabis cultivation from Northern Michigan University. I like this model that @7Dust2 better, though, just looking at it and the video.

the vivosun is set apart by it's soft side mini-tent style, and possible entry point cost.

i'd be interested to see a comparison between systems.
Yes, feature set and pricing. You mention entry point cost. I'd wonder what that is.
edit : if they send me one and i'll use and review it .. :p

Me too!

:laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

MGM

Dust,

Thank you for sharing.

Long ago I imagined products like that for the home grower. It is good to see companies with the marketing vision and modern technology to make it happen.

For some home growers, new to growing because of changing laws and increasing social acceptance, a product like this can be an excellent turn-key solution. Really nice!

As I mentioned in your most excellent journal my first thought as an old ad guy was:

"How to grow your favorite plant, without blowing a fuse."

Addressing the daunting issues of first starting a grow -- in terms of electrical requirements and reducing frustrations and fears for a first grow.

Looking forward to the introduction.

MGM
If anyone needs a discount I can help with that as well. For any products they have..
Just use SEVENDUST in code . I don't get money for it. It's just help out and I get a discount . So it help everyone

That's cool that you remember that. I was a student mostly that decade and likely forgot because I could not afford one. I may have, long ago, seen something like that and decided I could build something similar for less money, and then forgotten the source of the inspiration.

Yes, there is one on my facebook feed. Ha! Along with an ad for getting a degree in cannabis cultivation from Northern Michigan University. I like this model that @7Dust2 better, though, just looking at it and the video.

Yes, feature set and pricing. You mention entry point cost. I'd wonder what that is.

Me too!

:laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

MGM
I remember seeing something similar to that in high times back in the 80s I think it was. They showed it growing tomatoes 🍅 if I recall correctly. CL🍀 Edit: it was very expensive. Now that I think of it, it was the phototron.

I remember seeing something similar to that in high times back in the 80s I think it was. They showed it growing tomatoes 🍅 if I recall correctly. CL🍀 Edit: it was very expensive. Now that I think of it, it was the phototron.
Ha!

The old days they ALWAYS showed tomatoes. There's still a hydro shop with a billboard that still has tomatoes on it sitting out on the interstate, all when growing this stuff is legal now!

MGM

Ha!

The old days they ALWAYS showed tomatoes. There's still a hydro shop with a billboard that still has tomatoes on it sitting out on the interstate, all when growing this stuff is legal now!

MGM
It’s funny because I just googled it and if I remember correctly it was like 3 grand in the 80s but it’s only 1100 hundred today. Smh CL🍀

Economies of scale, perhaps? More people able to grow legal, more people buying. Improvement of LEDs gotta contribute, price and capability.

MGM

My two favorite magazines growing up were ez riders n hi times. I never missed a single issue. I would daydream for hours about when I got older. lol I’m happy to say that I exceeded my expectations about myself. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:
It certainly looks like it. I saw the photos of you and your bike, and of course your grow stuff.

EZ Riders was a second-hand read for me. A brother of a dirt bike riding friend had a shovel that looked just like yours, and he read that.

My magazines were National Lampoon and Zap Comix. Belies my creative background.

My Harley inspiration? A little TV show called "Then Came Bronson." And the cool thing is -- at least to me -- is that I actually lived it for a year.

People might call it a midlife crisis, but I called it a midlife adjustment.

I actually had the opening scene happening to me. Guy in a big fancy BMW, gave him the same response, damn near laughing, "Well, hang in there."

Ever see it?

MGM

Back
Top Bottom