The Micro Space

It certainly looks like it. I saw the photos of you and your bike, and of course your grow stuff.

EZ Riders was a second-hand read for me. A brother of a dirt bike riding friend had a shovel that looked just like yours, and he read that.

My magazines were National Lampoon and Zap Comix. Belies my creative background.

My Harley inspiration? A little TV show called "Then Came Bronson." And the cool thing is -- at least to me -- is that I actually lived it for a year.

People might call it a midlife crisis, but I called it a midlife adjustment.

I actually had the opening scene happening to me. Guy in a big fancy BMW, gave him the same response, damn near laughing, "Well, hang in there."

Ever see it?

MGM
No I must’ve missed that one but I’m gonna check it out now. CL🍀 Edit: I like to think that I’m pretty knowledgeable about antique bikes 🏍️ but I never heard of a Rudge. English, German maybe?

I consider the grow size you're talking about as mini, not micro. I view a micro grow as more like the guys growing in computer cases. Doesn't really matter what you call them though, they're all small! :laughtwo:

My grow has a footprint of less than 5 square feet and that includes both veg and flower. 3'x1.5' and stacked, veg on the bottom with 20" of headspace, and flower above with less than 36".

I grow in 2G SIPs which are great but can produce really big plants, so training (quadlining for me) and only a 4 week veg is what I have to do. I like to run a perpetual, 2 plants in flower at a time and spaced 6 weeks apart.

I consider the grow size you're talking about as mini, not micro. I view a micro grow as more like the guys growing in computer cases. Doesn't really matter what you call them though, they're all small! :laughtwo:

My grow has a footprint of less than 5 square feet and that includes both veg and flower. 3'x1.5' and stacked, veg on the bottom with 20" of headspace, and flower above with less than 36".

I grow in 2G SIPs which are great but can produce really big plants, so training (quadlining for me) and only a 4 week veg is what I have to do. I like to run a perpetual, 2 plants in flower at a time and spaced 6 weeks apart.
Welcome to the thread, Azimuth.

I'm hoping we can get more mini- and micro-growers here to hang out, chat, and get to know each other better without hijacking a journal thread.

Most of all, I suspect those that grow in smaller spaces have secrets they keep that has long been siloed by prohibition and now that we are growing more legal, and more openly we all can share those secrets in order to improve our grows.

MGM

No I must’ve missed that one but I’m gonna check it out now. CL🍀 Edit: I like to think that I’m pretty knowledgeable about antique bikes 🏍️ but I never heard of a Rudge. English, German maybe?
I looked them up. They are an old English bike, and they look pretty cool.

Go look them up. I like the cafe racer versions with the clip-ons.

MGM

I looked them up. They are an old English bike, and they look pretty cool.

Go look them up. I like the cafe racer versions with the clip-ons.

MGM
Great minds think alike, I already have googled it. Yeah it’s a pretty cool old bike. I knew a guy in Ga. had a lot of antique Harley’s and Indians. I bought some parts from him for my Pan. CL🍀

I'll have to check this thread out- might learn something!
I view a micro grow as more like the guys growing in computer cases
That's what I thought this thread was about also, so thanks for the tag, @Azimuth !
Well, it's a very special ugly cardboard box, with a light for a lid.
Thanks, Azi- fixed it for ya!🙂

I grow in a 4 gallon SIP, in a 2'x2'x4' space (box)- not what I'd call micro, but not real big, either..

6 usb AC Infinity s3's handle the circulation and air exchange, a 22"x22" heat mat supplies the heat on those cold nights, the light handles the daytime heating- box temps are 82-85f during the day, and drop to 65-70f at night. The fans are 3 speed units, so I also use the fan speeds for temperature control...

I can't control the humidity, so I don't worry about it...

No odor control, but it's in the garage, so I just let it stink!

My best yield in there so far was this 23" tall GSC, @10.7 oz- It got real pretty by the end...
2022 Photo OTY-GSC.png

That's what I thought this thread was about also, so thanks for the tag, @Azimuth !

I grow in a 4 gallon SIP, in a 2'x2'x4' space (box)- not what I'd call micro, but not real big, either..

6 usb AC Infinity s3's handle the circulation and air exchange, a 22"x22" heat mat supplies the heat on those cold nights, the light handles the daytime heating- box temps are 82-85f during the day, and drop to 65-70f at night. The fans are 3 speed units, so I also use the fan speeds for temperature control...

My best yield in there so far was this 23" tall GSC, @10.7 oz- It got real pretty by the end...
2022 Photo OTY-GSC.png
That's pretty .beautiful

Hey folks :ganjamon:

I consider myself a mini-grower, I've got a pretty small propagation tent that I'm using for a full cycle. My last tent only have a 40cm x 40cm footprint

Just as likely you have a lot to teach and share.

Whatever you call it, I'm glad you showed up. I've seen that box and I'm very impressed.
Interesting. I'm learning that with many people, the smaller the space, the more resourceful the grower.

2022 Photo OTY-GSC.png
Beautiful, and exceptional yield, too.

MGM

Hey folks :ganjamon:

I consider myself a mini-grower, I've got a pretty small propagation tent that I'm using for a full cycle. My last tent only have a 40cm x 40cm footprint

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the space in your latest journal, Burdok.

MGM

Hi MGM, fellow growers. Thank you for the invitation.

My micro space is the area between the ceiling and my living room table top. It's a big table but it serves also as a food preparation station, a computer station and my art studio, and sometimes for entertaining. I grow three auto plants at a time on there.

DSC_6902-Edit.jpg

It's a sturdy table and I can stand on it. My head just touches the ceiling if I stand straight up. I use 2 Vipar Spectra XS1500 Pro lights, hanging from hooks in the ceiling, so the plants can get fairly tall if needs be. I don't want them to, so I train them into wider, flatter shapes.

I can't control the environment so I don't try. Time under light is dependent on the "loadshedding" schedule for each day. I leave the lights on 24/7 to compensate for high volumes of power outages, ongoing. I'm growing for my personal consumption, so it doesn't have to be pretty weed. It just has to work for me. I am happy to report that it does.

My micro space is the area between the ceiling and my living room table top. It's a big table but it serves also as a food preparation station, a computer station and my art studio, and sometimes for entertaining. I grow three auto plants at a time on there.

DSC_6902-Edit.jpg

It's a sturdy table and I can stand on it. My head just touches the ceiling if I stand straight up. I use 2 Vipar Spectra XS1500 Pro lights, hanging from hooks in the ceiling, so the plants can get fairly tall if needs be. I don't want them to, so I train them into wider, flatter shapes.

I can't control the environment so I don't try. Time under light is dependent on the "loadshedding" schedule for each day. I leave the lights on 24/7 to compensate for high volumes of power outages, ongoing. I'm growing for my personal consumption, so it doesn't have to be pretty weed. It just has to work for me. I am happy to report that it does.
That's an outstanding synopsis of your grow, Carmen. This helps me understand your journal better.

Those plants certainly make great conversation pieces sitting out in the room like that, and they are quite ... umm ... decorative as well.

MGM

That's an outstanding synopsis of your grow, Carmen. This helps me understand your journal better.

Those plants certainly make great conversation pieces sitting out in the room like that, and they are quite ... umm ... decorative as well.

MGM
:popcorn:

DSC_6902-Edit.jpg

That auto is simply stacked. Bravo :bravo:

Thats what I'm hoping mine will look like, but I have never trained them to this shape before. I guess I'm going to have to prowl your journal for tips, Carmen!

That auto is simply stacked. Bravo :bravo:

Thats what I'm hoping mine will look like, but I have never trained them to this shape before. I guess I'm going to have to prowl your journal for tips, Carmen!
Hey burdock, thank you very much!
As far as training them goes, I learnt a lot from InTheShed and Carcass. They have both done excellent tutorials on low and high stress training methods. I can't seem to locate the links to their tutorials using keywords my brain comes up with. It's all about training those branches into a level canopy using weights or hooks, to redistribute the growth hormones.

search quadlining or quadline on the board. there's a dedicated thread. other training styles are similar.

i sometimes cage mine in tomato cages for a good lazy method.

can see the cages here :

full

those are all in just a little over a gallon - 5L.

Hey burdock, thank you very much!
As far as training them goes, I learnt a lot from InTheShed and Carcass. They have both done excellent tutorials on low and high stress training methods. I can't seem to locate the links to their tutorials using keywords my brain comes up with. It's all about training those branches into a level canopy using weights or hooks, to redistribute the growth hormones.

I've been assured by Shed that he is not the man to ask about autos haha, so I'll also pop along and borrow some ideas from Carcass, too!

I have experience with training plants, just not autos. The most I've done with autos is basic LST to control an over-crowded tent.

I think(hope?) I have a plan for shaping them, but seeing how others do it with success is invaluable. This website and its users are a godsend

search quadlining or quadline on the board. there's a dedicated thread. other training styles are similar.

i sometimes cage mine in tomato cages for a good lazy method.

can see the cages here :

full

those are all in just a little over a gallon - 5L.

I'm familiar with the method, I didn't think you could do it with autos?

Those plants are gorgeous, BTW

The Micro Space

There was a robust thread hijack over in the November Photo of the Month contest regarding how some trends in the law, increasing social acceptance, and market overproduction of weed was driving grows in smaller spaces.

Not the place for it over there. And a suggestion was made that this would make a great thread on its own. So, here we go.

A place to discuss plants, people, places and spaces, problems and political issues that affect you as a micro grower.

What is a Micro Space?

If you’re here you already have an idea of what you believe a micro grow is. And that’s cool. Maybe you’d like to share your definition.

To me it is anything less than that square meter used by seed companies to define harvest productivity, i.e. grams per square meter. Or another way of looking at it, is a space that requires significant manipulation of the plant, light, water, and nutes to successfully grow in a given space.

Growing in 2’x2’ (60 cm x60 cm), and 2’x4’ (60 cm x120 cm) spaces would apply. Those are the spaces I grow in. And certainly there are some height-limited spaces that qualify, too. What space are you growing in? And ...

What are Your Issues and Insights?

Whatever you define as micro growing, I think there is a commonality between us in terms of the challenges we face, the choices we make, and the places where we grow bud.

I hope we can make great use of this space.

MGM
Facinating thread Micro. expand the knowledge for sure
Regards

Back
Top Bottom