First attempt at grafting Diesel to Ambrosia mom

Greenhouse250

Well, after visiting miwa's journal and reading about grafting, I had to try it for myself. The idea of just having one mom never occured to me and it sounds like a great idea.

Here's one of my ambrosia mom's she will be the test subject:

I've been a little ruff on her.
DSC010428.JPG

DSC010487.JPG

Here's the diesel donor:

DSC010526.JPG

DSC010565.JPG

So i did the first cut on the ambrosia, just a split in half cut. Then cut the diesel cutting into arrow style cut, sprayed the cutting first with seaweed diluted with water. Add the paper clip that was the hardest part, mainly cause my hands aren't that steady. Then a good spray before the plastic goes on. That's it, i would like to use a plastic cup instead but that's all i have, for now.

DSC010636.JPG

DSC010654.JPG

DSC010685.JPG

DSC010733.JPG

Not sure what's going to happen with the leaves touching the plastic?
Any feedback or ideas are welcome!:peace:

You should be good with the bag just take it off once a day for a bit and watch it doesn't get hot in it like a mini green house. Interesting graft though. I've never grafted cannabis but done it plenty with fruit trees. With fruit they have to be from similar families is this true with weed too?

Now I see what I did wrong when I tried it. Actually, I see a BUNCH of things I did wrong. Thanks for posting.

Glad i could help? But apparently i did something wrong too cause the clamp was off when i check on it this morning. My guess is the stems lost moisture and it slipped of. I'm not giving up yet, my first thought when i did the graft was to wrap it with something but i thought if air couldn't get in, it would not take. Next time i will use some cotton string and wrap it gently with that. I will also get some plastic cups for humidity dome.

Just a thought if any members would like to help out and post pics of the graft they did and the technique they used, i'm sure it would help several members. :thumb:

try using tape. I used electrical tape to graft plum branches to my peach tree with a pretty high success rate. A softer tape like blue tape or painters tape would still breath but they come off with moisture easy. Just make sure not to take the tape off untill you see new growth on the branch and the graft has takin! Also they make a tool that makes those notch cuts in both branches for you perfectly every time but I'm not sure were to get it

You should be good with the bag just take it off once a day for a bit and watch it doesn't get hot in it like a mini green house. Interesting graft though. I've never grafted cannabis but done it plenty with fruit trees. With fruit they have to be from similar families is this true with weed too?

Good question! I wouldn't think so but what do i know! What would you suggest i use too wrap the graft with? I'm thinking if the wrap around the graft is air tight it might be better for it?

First attempt was the paper clip(lasted overnight) second attempt was blue tape(looked good for about 3-4days), all failed... :icon_roll

Try black electrical tape I've had good success with it on fruit trees. Also do multiple grafts to increase your odds because they're not all going to take I did 3 plum branches onto a peach tree and only one took, but now I have a pretty good size section of my peach tree that produces plums. I've also heard that over time the two different strains begin to merge into one. But I think that would take too long to work with cannabis

try using cellophane sandwich plastic. It sticks to itself and is easy to work with ...

Back
Top Bottom