First CFL Grow - Northern Lights x Purple Kush - Interested?

From what I understand about this cross, it's mostly an indica strain. The person that I got the seed from pollinated a female purple kush plant with a male northern lights (don't know what # NL it was), and my plant is the by product. The leaves kinda do look sativaish, but the overall plant is indica dominate. Thanks for the inquiry of my plant.

Howdy all. So here's my problem: a couple of days ago I noticed a few older and larger fan leaves slowing turning a pale green color. But the veins were still still dark green in color. So I did some research and found the possible problem could be a mag deficiency. Doing more research I notice this could be caused a low soil temps and an unstable soil ph. I ruled out the soil temp too low because it never gets below 70(f) even with lights off. I ruled out the soil ph being unstable because I it tested a oh of 6.5. So now I was really stumped. Well my lady showed my another sign yesterday. I noticed what looks like rust spots on some of the older leaves. Researching this a came to the conclusion it was a cal def. So this morning I watered her with 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt, and 1 teaspoon of powdered egg shells mixed with a gallon of watered. I will edit this post with pics shortly. An advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

The following pics are of the same leaf, just different lighting and camera. This leaf is the worse one.
IMG_10419.jpg
IMG_103810.jpg
100_19212.jpg

No help on this one huh? Well here's an update: after using the Epsom salt, I saw no change until today. More fan leaves tip are burnt, and the rusty colored spot are moving upward on my plant. I decided to completely flush the soil. The first gallon of water brought a bunch of white foamy substance to the top of the soil. I assume this was salt build up. I did this a total of 3 times (1 gallon each) until the white foamy substance was gone. I didn't feed her because I was told to wait until next feeding time. I figured that didn't sound too accurate, but figured I would feed first thing tomorrow. If there is something I should or shouldn't be doing, please let know. TIA

If it was me, I wouldn't really worry about it, its only a small issue, well unless it starts happening to lots of leaves ha ha

It looks to me like the plant could use a little more nitrogen but leaves yellow all the time.

As for the rust spots, it could be mild nute burn.

Are you using a chemical fertiliser ?

This would explain a salt build up causing nute burn.

With organics nutrient burn is actually difficult to achieve, plus it does not leave salt in the soil :)

Hope this helped somewhat :)

:peace:

Thanks for the response. Yes I am using chemical fertilizer. I'm actually using mg bloom buster. I know some people have a lot of negative things to say about it but it works for me. During vegging I used mg tomatoe food fertilizer. I have used each one 1 time through out my whole grow. And when using it I've been mixing 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. The directions calls for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Lights come on in 3 hours. Can wait to see how she did overnight, plus feed her. Again, thanks for your response. Good to hear I shouldn't worry since I was lol

hi hows the grow, i agree with green fingers, unless this happens to all the leaves then i wouldnt worry about it at this stage, just make sure your not over watering, this can cause the problem your having, in flower some leaves will die anyway as its how the plant works, any that are not getting light will turn yellow and die so pull these off before it can cause any rot or bug problems, if you think the problem is getting worse or the plant looks different then give us a picture and well try and sort it out for you.

So yesterday at lights on, I was able to see how she did over night. Flushing the soil seemed to make the problem worse. All fan leaves have burnt tips now. Not only that, but she is still slowly getting pale on me. So after flushed again with 2 more gallons of straight water, i fed her. This morning, things didn't look worse, but no improvement either. I'll be keeping a careful eye on her. If she was overwatered, wouldn't her leaves droop? Because you will see in the following pics, there is no drooping. Just burnt tips on fan leaves and paling. The new growth doesn't seem to be affected at all. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking time to help me.

Top plant. As you can see, all fan leaves tips are burnt
IMG_10598.jpg

These are just a couple of shots to give you an ideal of whats going on
IMG_104712.jpg

100_19253.jpg

This is a close up of the very top of the plant. My problem has spread
100_19281.jpg

to me it looks like nute burn but im not the best to ask, i wouldnt get flushing anymore now and after flushing did you give a very weak nute feed, flushing takes all the goodness out the soil as well as anything bad, all you can do is see how things are in 24 to 48 hours, i have seen far worse plants so i dont think its something that cant be sorted out, someone like jandre is the best to ask, im sure you will come across him in the forums, he is all over the place, or go to my journal and ask a question about your plant their, im sure you will soon have the advice you need

Thank you for allowing me to post in your journal for additional help. Yes, I did feed her after flushing yesterday. Only half the recommended dosage (1/4 teaspoon of mg bloom booster per gallon of water). I'll definitely keep a close eye on any changes and keep you posted. Thanks for the advice and refferal.

you should be ok then mate, the next couple of days will tell us if its sorted or not, let us know how things are going, they usually turn around pretty quick and are pretty hardy plants, so i think your on the way to having it sorted now

Get some organic nutes and your problems will go away :) ha ha

The paleness of the plant seems to indicate that it needs more nitrogen.

The burned tips looks like nute burn BUT it could also be Potassium Toxicity.

Because you have flushed the soil, lots of nutes have been washed away, when other nutrients are deficient, Potassium becomes toxic.

If I was you I would just change nutes, it could really save you a lot of worry down the line.

With organics nute burn is almost impossible, along with combating all of the other problems that come along with chemical nutes. Organics are far more forgiving.

I hope this helped somewhat

:peace:

Howdy all. Just wanted to give a quick update. Everything seems to be going pretty well now. The paleness has left and she's looking alot healthier. However, the buds hasn't seem to been growing at all. But we'll see what the next few weeks brings. Speaking of, i plan on bringing her down on the 26th. This will be the beginning of week 9. I'm also looking to achieve the sativa type head high. There's nothing wrong with the body high at all, but all the smoke I have gotten over the past few years has the same type of high. Just want to switch things up you know. Thanks everyone for the advice i received. Any comments, suggestions, or further advice would be much appreciated. TIA.

glad things are going good mate, just keep checking the trichs with microscope or magnifying glass and harvest when ready, some strains go longer than stated so be prepared to go a few days either side of the time stated

Howdy all. Just another quick update. As you may have read, I plan on bringing my lady down on the 26th of this month. I figure the next 2 weeks I will only feed her ph'd water till harvest. I have been checking the trichs out with my 60x - 100x microscope, and they are all still clear. So this had me thinking maybe I should wait another week before harvest. What do you guys think? I feed her nutes this past Thursday, and today I gave her straight water. Fan leaves are yellowing, but no concern about that. My colas are not the biggest (I blame this on lst, and lack of lighting), but she does have a pretty strong smell (a cross between earthy and piney). I add more cfl's to the top on the plant, making a total of 6 lights up top, and 2 on the sides. Hope this helps. Being that this is all for personal use, yield isn't as important as quality. I will be doing a few things different my next grow to improve the yield, but i will be sticking with cfl's as my lighting. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice I received through out my grow. Here a a couple of pics taken before lights off last night. As always, any comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed. TIA

Here's a top view of her
IMG_108711.jpg

Next couple of pics are of the "main cola"
100_19481.jpg
100_19541.jpg
IMG_114010.jpg
IMG_112217.jpg

i think id give it the extra week mate, with mine i wont start giving plain water till i can clearly see the trichs are cloudy, then ill give just water for the last week, this should then give me 100% cloudy trichs with a few turning amber, thats the plan i have got anyways, things may change, but for now ill keep checking the trichs and as soon as i get nearly all of them cloudy or all cloudy ill then just feed water for 7 days then harvest,

Wait I shall then lol. Hey Donpaul.p, I really appreciate all of the knowledge you have given me. Your journal post are so thorough, sometimes it feels like I'm reading a book. You describe things in great detail. I haven't read I post yet by you that wasn't less than 4 sentences. I can tell you put a lot of effort and time into your grows. But then you put a lot of time explaining to newbies like me the do's and don'ts. Again thank you for all the help!!

thanks mate, all i do is try and pass on what i have learned, the plants i got in flower is only my 2nd proper grow ever, i grew a single plant 10 years ago and got a good yield, but didnt know anything at all, now i know enough to pass on to others, years ago we harvested when the hairs had all turned orange, but now i know its done by looking at the trichs, plus all the different lighting schedules and nutes etc etc, i have been using glr for this last grow and found its the best lighting schedule and the plants grow like crazy under glr and flower and show sex sooner, so ill be using glr for future grows, before i came to this site i never knew nothing but now im on my 2nd grow and doing ok, lots of growers helped me get to where i am now, so i do my best to pass on as much as i have learned, so its no problem what so ever, glad to offer you some useful advice

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom