First CFL Grow Using 30 Watt CFLs

thanks everyone,

ill put some pics up of the harvest, 2 of the plants i harvested are nearly dry, the other 2 are not, so ill take a few pics tomorrow and show you what i got off these plants, its certainly freed some room up for me, just got my 2ltr grows in the grow room now, got plenty of seedlings ready to go into pots, im hoping to grow a purple strain as its winter here now, so i planted about 6 purple widows and im hoping these will give me some purple buds, its a challenge now and i wont give up till i get me some purple buds

did you sprout them directly in the top part of the 2ltr dwc, if you did then it usually takes around 7 to 10 days depending on how much growing medium you have in the top, i start my seedlings in a little seed tray, then i place 2 inches of soil in the top part of the dwc then transplant, then a few days later the tap root grows out the bottom first, as soon as this hits the res the roots grow like crazy,

i have tried starting in the top of the dwc instead of the seed tray and it did not make much difference, basically all you want in the top part is something to support the plant, just like a net pot in a big dwc or hydro grow, so i have 2 to 3 inches at the most of soil in the top part, then 7 to 10 days later the roots start poking out the bottom,

now when the roots poke out the bottom i make sure their is a gap between the level of the nute mix and the bottom of the part the holds the growing medium in, i do this so the top part dont start soaking up the water from the bottom, the roots should be the only thing in the res, then when i refill the res i fill it up most the way then top it up by pouring more nutrient mix into the top part, this then trickles down into the res,

this is also a good idea for the res that dont have an air stone in, but what i do is get a spray bottle and put it on its jet setting and then i just give the res a few good squirts to stir the water up and put some oxygen in the water, you will only need to do this for the first couple of weeks, after that the plant will drink enough and you wont have to do this anymore.

looking forward to planting some seedlings tommorow. i got a very similar thing to yours going on atm, but its gravel for the bottom half of the bottle, which is always submerged in water, then a layer of peat pot to act as a screen, then an inch of perlite to act as a transition medium and then finally up to the top with perlite enriched organic compost.

enough should soak upwards that these plants should never need watering, just plain water in the res. the plant eats from the organic soil and you just add small concentrated doses of liquid compost when you need to boost the food.

the trick is to avoid any organics slipping into the res, with no nutrients we should get no algae or the like.

this takes advantage of water roots to drink all they want whilst at the same time taking advantage of the superior nutrient uptake ability of soil roots and using organics to avoid nute burn.

looking forward to documenting the grow =)

sounds interesting GiGa, i get algae in plain water though mate, when i fill some jugs up for my fish tank they get algae on the top of the jugs if i dont use the water quick enough, so plain water will grow algae,

just uploading some pics now, feeling a bit rough today, i guess working on my moms car with just a t-shirt on was a bad idea, feel like im getting man flu, its deadly, women are lucky, they dont get man flu so they dont understand how much we suffer,

give me a few minutes and ill have the pics up

the first few pics are the harvest from 2 afgan skunk plants and 2 special kush, not a huge haul as i did not let the plants get to big due to the smell of having 4 plants in flower at the same time
PICT2811.JPG

PICT2812.JPG

PICT2813.JPG

PICT2814.JPG

PICT2816.JPG

PICT2817.JPG

below is a jar full of sweet leaf, when i harvest a plant i only keep the leaves that have visible trichs on them, i dont want to keep the other leaves as i see no point in doing this, when i have got enough i will be able to make some decent hash, i have this jar full and its all squashed in pretty solid, i have also got 2 shoe boxes full of sweet or sugar leaf, i dont know how much i need, but id like enough to make at least a 1/4 of decent hash, so if anyone has a rough guestimate of the dry weight i need to get 1/4 of hash,
PICT2820.JPG

PICT2821.JPG

now we move onto the plants, this pic below is one of the mystery seeds i got out of the blueberry auto, i got 2 seeds from inside a bud and only 1 sprouted, so its been grown under 20-4 to see if its an auto or not,
PICT2822.JPG

now below we have a plant that i crossed myself to see what happens, so this plant is a sour kush cross with unknown kiwi strain,
PICT2823.JPG

below is another strange one, i planted 1 x purple widow seed, but 2 plants sprouted and look like they came from 2 seeds, both plants are the same size and shape so look like its the same strain, but i checked my seeds and i did not plant one extra by mistake else my purple widow seed stock would be 1 seed less,
PICT2824.JPG

below we have another of the seeds i crossed myself, its another sour kush female cross with kiwi seeds male unknown
PICT2825.JPG

below is another 4 purple widows, these are regular seeds so im hoping for a good male and female for breeding purposes
PICT2826.JPG

auto purple below, femenised
PICT2827.JPG

below is a free seed from herbies,
PICT2828.JPG

below is my twins. the sleestack cross skunk, this was sprouted from one seed and shares the same tap root, i transplanted to a 3gallon pot after taking this pic, i am using lst on this plant to pull them apart and keep them seperate to get the best yield i can if it turns out fem, but if its male then i think this would be good for my auto breeding program, if i can keep the twin trait and pass this onto an auto then im hoping this will give me double the yield from any auto, but i got a while to go before i go their though
PICT2829.JPG

top view of the sleestack twin, you can see one is getting bigger than the other, i think the leaves was blocking the light getting to the other one, so i used lst after transplanting to get them to grow a bit better
PICT2830.JPG

now for the 2ltr dwc hempies and 2ltr none dwc hempies, i have got all the pots labeled so i know what they are, but ill just put the pics up at this stage so you can see what i got going on
PICT2831.JPG

PICT2832.JPG

PICT2833.JPG

PICT2834.JPG

PICT2835.JPG

now this picture below is a sour kuch grown from clone, its been 12-12 since it rooted, now im not sure whats going on with these, but it seems that the plants grow a lot quicker under 12-12, when i veg these plants under glr or 20-4 they dont seem to get this big as quick as these have, so not sure whats going on or why it happens, but i have noticed this with several plants including the dwc hempies, when the plants are under 12-12 they seem to grow a whole lot quicker then the plants under the veg light schedule, this is possibly why glr works so well
PICT2836.JPG

now i have one more plant which i did not take a picture of, now i wanted to keep the ak47 cross uk cherry cheese strain around so i crossed the last male and female i had, i harvested the plant the other day and the buds are drying then i can check the seeds, but just in case the seeds are not viable i have decided to re-veg the plant, i harvested the plant and left the 2 lowest branches with buds on, these buds would of went in my trim box but i thought if i kill the plant off and the seeds are not viable then i wont be able to get this strain from anywhere else, so its re-vegging under 24-0 using cfls, so it should end up looking like a topped plant and should have 2 stems from the base of the plant.

thats everything i got going at the moment,

wow, quite a lot going on, lol. i love your twin =)

im hoping to get some pics later, my camera still isnt focusing properly, i just need to find my damn usb minisd reader so i can use my phone for it.

my clones arnt really doing so well, they look like they have some green leaves and they not overly wilted, but they feel dessicated.

think im going to pull my clones and dwc pots off the radar for now as i dont really know what im doing with them except sticking in a cupboard with small lights for now.

that leaves my sweet fast autos, ill run my current journal to the end of those and im going to start a new journal for my kc45's

in fact, here is the link to my new journal =D
GiGaBaNE's 4th - HydroGanics 600w HiD + Flouro

DP,
Nice pics. Thanks for posting more on your DWC. One of my seedlings laid down this morning. The Coco Coir dries real fast and deceives a bit. I sprayed the top and it barely made it down an inch. Obviously the drying is due to the amount of Coir needed. Not much! I propped her up with a little coir and watered her good. I have kept no water in the Res.

@ GiGa, im coming over to your new journal mate.

not sure what went on with the pics but i had more harvest pics than that, some of them got shrunk by the looks of it and 2 got deleted, not sure whats going on, seems the new pic method is not working as it should be.

@miwa, my roots only start off bright white for a week or so, then thy go to a light brown colour, i have not had the slime yet but this is possibly due to high res temps, mine only went slimy when i was just ready for harvest, so it did not bother me as the plant was coming down the next day, i planted 2 sleestack and the first was male, so im hoping the twin is a fem, if not ill plant another and see how i get on.

i am having a very high male ratio with the big bud#2, i have planted about 8 now and all have been male,

@spring, thanks for the info on it drying out, i need to change from using soil to using something else, so i need to find something that works well, i think as soon as the roots are in the res it wont really matter about the top part drying out, it should still give the plant all the moisture it needs from the roots in the res,

ive wanted a big bud#2 since i got the seeds, loved the big bud in the past but all the seeds ive planted turn out male, ill plant 2 more in the morning, i was growing was as a dwc and the other as regular plant, but i keep getting males, i always get good fem ratio from herbies and very rarely get a male with other strains, but this big bud#2 seems pretty hard to get a fem from the seeds, ill plant 2 more and see what happens, i think i got 2 left, might have more id have to check.

i just wish i knew someone that grew near to me, then i could do some clone swapping and sort out some breeding that way, but i keep myself to myself and know body knows i grow, apart from all the top people on here who im happy to call friends, here is the only place i can talk about my hobby and my meds

i agree, im hoping my ak47 cross uk cherry cheese seeds are viable, if not im re-vegging the plant to keep that strain, these seeds are not for sale on any sites and it was a totally new strain a seed breeder was working on, i got the seeds as a sample, again it was a high male ratio but it was not from herbies, luckily my last 2 seeds turned out male and female so i crossed them together to get me some seeds, i harvested the plant when the seeds where popping out the buds so im hoping the seeds are all good,

if not then i have still got the ak47 cross uk cherry cheese female to play around with, this is also the plant i crossed the autos with as this cheese cross produces some super dense buds and the high is all i want it to be, its the best strain i have grown so far, so if this plant re-vegges ok then ill be taking clones and possibly crossing it with any males i get.

so all been well this cheese breed i got will reveg and give me plenty of clones so i can keep the strain around, plus i hope the seeds are viable, i only put pollen on some of the buds so it left me the main cola to harvest and smoke, which i have been doing, and its a damn nice smoke, so this is a strain i want to keep around, my other option would be to make some fem seeds, using that silver stuff, but ill need a good clone to give this a try,

so ive got stuff to work with, just all depends how it all turns out,

Back
Top Bottom