First CFL Grow Using 30 Watt CFLs

yep you need nutes mate, without nutes the plant wont grow much at all, i use bpn and if has a feed schedule on the bpn site on a weekly or 2 weekly basis, i just follow this, i dont mix up a gallon of nutes as i dont use that much in one go, so i fill a 2ltr pop bottle with water and i know this is roughly half a gallon so i add half of what it says on the bpn site.

when the plants young it wont drink loads out of the res so you will need to empty and refill every week, this will only be for the 1st week or 2, after that the plant will have enough roots to drink all the liquid in the res every 2 to 3 days, then towards the end of flower it will drink it all in about 36 hours,

what i do is let it sit in the nutes for a week, then when i change the res or re-fill it i fill it with plain tap water and no nutes, then i let it sit in this for a couple of hours, just to give the plant some water that is not hot with nutes, then i add nutes and its back to normal.

i fill the res nearly up to where i want it at the maximum then i water a bit through the top so it drips down into the bottom of the res.

once you got it right its pretty easy to maintain, i also found i could use a weaker nute mix with these as well and they grow just as well, so id say if your nutes have a schedule for seedling stage then id use half what it says and see how the plant looks, it will be a few days before the roots start growing out the bottom of the bottle so the res will be empty for this part, as soon as you see the root coming out the bottom then fill the res and let the root hang into it, then within a couple of days your roots will look like mine,

black tape will work brilliant to stop the light, i just buy the dandelion and burdock pop as that comes in a black bottle so i dont cover them, but the pepsie bottles i cover with tape or wrap the label off a couple of bottles around it.

so start with a weak nute mix and see how it looks, if the plants looks light green then up the dose, i use bpn so can go full strength from day 1, but i always edge on the side of caution and go slightly weaker than is needed

this is the easiest dwc to set up, i only use it to go 12-12 from seed and i get between 20g dry and an oz, but you could veg under it if you wanted but the bigger the plant the bigger the roots and the more it will drink, the res can be any size so if you wanted to veg a plant for a while then use something bigger.

give me a shout if you get stuck or need anything and ill do my best to help you,
i start my seedling in little seedling trays, then fill the top part of the dwc with a couple of inches of soil but any grow medium would be ok, then i put the seedling in their and water from the top every couple of days till the roots grow into the res, then the rapid growth starts,

just think how many of them 2ltr pop bottles you can get in your grow, now 12-12 from seed gives me an 8 week turn around time, but i give mine 1 week of veg so i hit the oz mark, i was getting 20g dry with the 12-12 from seed but now i give 24-0 for 1 week then go 12-12, so say i only got 20g dry per dwc 2ltr, so times that by 10, you could easily fit 10 of these in, go 12-12 from seed and you got 20g x 10 every 8 weeks which is 200g of dry bud every 8 weeks, do 100 of these and thats 2000g of dry bud every 8 weeks,

or you could start 10 then start another 10 4 weeks later and have a harvest every 4 weeks, this would be then called a sea of green, you can use clones but if i use clones id let them veg for a couple of weeks before flipping to 12-12

DP,
Thanks man and I'm sure I'll have questions. I just got the tubing, air stones, check valve, and Coco Coir. The coir is the only deviation from your notes. I really want to try the coir. So I get to try the DWC and the Coir! Going over to check on the BP nutes now.

no worries give it a try mate, im sure you will like this kind of grow.

with the soil coming out the hole, what i do is when i fill the top part up i leave the pop bottle lid on, then fill it with soil, then i just take the lid off and the soil wont fall out, you may get a small amount fall out when you add the air stone in the res but the roots hold it all in place after the first 7 days of growth, ive not had the soil fall out on me yet,

its nice and very easy to set up, plus the plants grow like crazy, this method is perfect for someone who has only grown in soil and wants to try the hydro or dwc set up, then by doing this basic dwc you will soon see how quick these plants can actually grow, as soon as the roots hit the nutes in the res the plant and the roots grow like crazy,

put it this way, my plants in 3gallon pots veg for 4 or 5 weeks, the 2ltr dwc vegged for 7 days then goes 12-12 till finish, the plants in the dwc grow bigger than the plants i have vegged for 4 weeks, these dwc plants end up taller than the plants i have vegged for all that time, if i did not have to worry about plant numbers than id do a load of these.

i average 20g dry per plant every 8 weeks, so if i did 10 i would have 200g of dry bud every 8 weeks, but i could easily fit 100 in my grow space, so this would give me 2000g of dry bud every 8 weeks, i just wish plant numbers where not an issue and id do that many, but numbers are a concern so i do 4 big plants in 3gallon pots then i do a couple of these dwc along side these plants,

Re: first cfl grow using 30watt cfls

DP,
Here is a little addition to the DWC set up. I was able t pick up a 2ltr carton made of heavy duty plastic. Has two handles as well. Plug her in and shes self contained!

HPIM3024.JPG

HPIM3025.JPG

i seen them in your journal mate, ill try and grab a couple, i know the milkman has the same things to carry all the milk bottles in, ill try and pick some up when i see some, makes it a lot less likely to fall over, its ok when the res is full, but when its empty they are very top heavy so ill try and get some, i also want to try something else in the top part, i use compost at the moment but id like to remove this from the dwc grow so ill be seeing how you get on with the coco fibre stuff.

i have now harvested 2 plants, it took ages, i hate trimming plants, god knows how jamesthegreen does it, i could not do that many plants, i was suppose to do 2 last night but only did 1 cuz it took ages, so ill be doing the other plant shortly then that leaves me 1 big plant left then all ive got is the 2ltr dwc and some in small pots,

some of the purple widow have sprouted, my auto purple has sprouted, the auto that i got the 2 seeds from had both these seeds planted, only 1 sprouted and its growing more like a none auto than an auto, so fingers crossed its an auto and its going to grow like crazy, only time will tell,

Congrats on the Harvesting! Hopefully that last girl is an auto. I have seen a few super autos and the get much taller than an average auto. The coco seems OK. Its such a small amount in each top that it drys quick. The Northern Lights just broke the coir today.

sounds like things are well on their way then mate, i harvested another afgan skunk last night, so i got one more afgan skunk left to harvest then thats all the big plants done,

i transplanted the seedling from the auto blueberry into a bigger pot, so this is going under 20-4, so hopefully its an auto and hopefully its fem, ill know if its an auto in a couple of weeks as it should show sex around 2 weeks old or just over that.

im running out of places to hang all this bud, i hung most of it but the plant i did last i trimmed it all off the stems and put it into a box so that should dry a bit quicker,

the 2ltr dwc hempies are growing like crazy, 3 femenised and 2 regular, one fem is showing sex and its fem, i got rid of a sleestack male, so i got one more sleestack growing and thats the twin, the seed sprouted 2 stems so its a twin, so ill see how that goes,

the auto purple fem is growing slow like any other auto i have grown, so ill transplant this and will possibly try is as a dwc hempie, then i can see if it grows well and gives me a bigger plant

im harvesting the last afgan skunk in a few hours, then thats all the big plants done so that leaves me with all the 2ltr dwc and none dwc to flower off, i have planted a load of the purple widow, my other seedlings are doing good as well, im going to run a test bucket in my room and check the res temp before i give a big dwc a try,

how long have i been a cannabis connoisseur for, i just noticed it under my avatar, didnt even know it said that till i just looked at a post, must be all the resp i been getting, never thought id see that next to my name

im harvesting the last afgan skunk in a few hours, then thats all the big plants done so that leaves me with all the 2ltr dwc and none dwc to flower off, i have planted a load of the purple widow, my other seedlings are doing good as well, im going to run a test bucket in my room and check the res temp before i give a big dwc a try,

how long have i been a cannabis connoisseur for, i just noticed it under my avatar, didnt even know it said that till i just looked at a post, must be all the resp i been getting, never thought id see that next to my name
how long you been smoking?
hell you grow more strains then they can breed in a year:) Gratz on the title:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom