First CFL Grow Using 30 Watt CFLs

ill be placing my next order in 3 hours time, then my seeds will be here by thursday without fail, ive never had bad service either and he is always quick to answer any questions,

to expensive mate, works out to £50 per seed, something im not willing to spend just yet, need to get my grow dialed in and sort out which grow method im going to use.

if you all remember i found 2 seeds right in the middle of the main bud on the auto blueberry, this plant had not been near any pollen and was never in the same room as a male, plus for the seeds to be right in the middle and none on the outside this would suggest it got pollen before i even had a male around to get pollen from, anyways it gave me 2 seeds, i planted both of these without wintering them, one has sprouted today, now all i got to do is find out if its auto and if its female, it will be grown under 24-0 to find out if its an auto or not, another bonus for me if it all works out,

i use herbies all the time mate, they are by far the best i have ordered from.
thanks 420girls

i put my money on both seeds being female and that the plant had a minor hermie right inside the bud ;)
i know 4 to 1 odds arnt a huge leap of faith, but we shall see =D

you might be right mate, but ive still got the bud here, i let it dry out completely and never put it in a jar in case it had more seeds, i seperated the main bud so all the little buds making it up where open, then the smaller pieces i checked the seed pods and i found fat seed pods on these lower section, i thought i had got more seeds, so i started poking them with a match and they just squashed and not one seed was found. the only thing it can be is i had a hermie months ago at the start of my journal, now this did produce pollen and i did put it on a plant but it never gave me seeds so the pollen did not work, but their was still pollen, this could be the likely cause as this was in the same place as this auto, so a spek of pollen may have got on the plant early on, its just strange it was in the middle of the main bud and got no where else,

but i planted both of these seeds, last night the one had broken out the soil now tonight its 3 inches high and growing quick, so say this is the only viable seed, what are the chances of this been an auto, well this is a 1/4 we know an auto cross with a none auto gives us a 1 in 4 chance of having an auto plant, but then it needs to be fem, so thats my problem, ill keep it under 24-0 till its 4 weeks and if its not started flowering by then then it means its not an auto, so lets hope its fem and lets hope its an auto, but its not growing like an auto, its got the exact small leaves its mother plant had, their like half the size of normal seed leaves, so it has got the auto small trait, so its looking good for been an auto, the only problem is that its grown 3 inches in a day, this is where its saying its not an auto to me,

but it will be grown out and flowered if fem, if its male it all depends if its auto or not, if its male and auto then this means i have got some blueberry auto cross, this would be good pollen for my auto experiment, so if it grows quick and is an auto male then this would be a huge boost to what im trying to achieve, but it could all go bad in the next 2 weeks,

so ill give it time and transplant on time to make sure it gets the best start it can, so im starting nutes as soon as i see the first set of real leaves growing, then it gets some bpn goodness to try and give it a boost

if it IS a cross breed then there is a chance it has hybrid vigour...if that is the case then you can already ignore what you know about auto grow speed as it will be better than a standard auto, even if it is one.

aside from that, an f1 cross between a ruderalis blend and a normal plant could have the vigour of anywhere in between the 2 phenos, the 2 seeds if sprouting both could behave totally differently.

i would say plain and simply to not try to outguess the plant at this point..it could be anything causing the current grow speed and still be exactly as you want the strain or nothing like you want the strain to be...i know its exciting, but there is no way to tell exactly what you have got just yet ;)

GiG , Right Again Mate!!! Yeah Don, Those Seed You Found In The Middle Of That Bud, I Still Think Was From Some Unknown Form Of Contamination, Because If It Was Hermie Induced, I Think It Would Have Seeded The Bud/Buds Further!!! At Least That It What I Think Thousands Of Miles Away!!!:high-five: And GiG Is Right In That How Fast A Seedling/Plant Grows Is Always A Good Sign, The End Product Can Still Be A Not So Great Plant:hmmmm:. But Have FUN GROWING IT!!!:cheer:

Well Don, We Are All Finished!!! Just The Wait Now, Garden All Cleaned Up, And Completely Empty!!! Thought I Would Share That With You!!!:woohoo: And Don, Herbies Ought To Give You An Advertisement Award, Or Something!!!:goof: Take Care Don And All That Read This!!! SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN.:thumb:

@GiGa, thanks for your comments.
@james, hows it mate, sounds like you been really busy then mate, cant wait to see some pics of the huge haul you got when its dry, god only knows how you keep bud rot at bay, im sure a room full of moist buds would pretty quick start rotting, but you have been here before so you got it all covered, if it was me id be checking the buds every day and turning them round and swapping them into different places, id have fans everywhere and id try and keep the temps on the cool side. if i lived in the same country mate id like to shake your hand and tell you what a top bloke you are, the same goes for GiGa.

it looks like only 1 of the 2 seeds is viable, its still growing pretty quick, but what makes me thinks its an auto is the small seed leaves and the first set of real leaves is also small, about half the size of a regular seed, and this seems to be an auto trait as all my autos started off like that, but they did not have the upwards growth this has, so its either an auto or its a none auto with just the leaf gene of an auto, so it might be a none auto and grow like an auto, if you get what i mean.

when i placed my order with herbie a while back i got a few autos and one was no good, it was pyramid seeds auto purple, i told herbie it was not up to souvenir quality, then i got a surprise with this order, i get another auto purple thrown in, herbie is a top bloke and he does his company proud.

so today i have planted the auto purple, and a purple widow, it says its better out doors due to its rapid growth and tall plants, im thinking that if i have a male from the purple widow seeds which i got 12 of for just over £10, then this would be ideal for crossing with autos, plus it has the purple gene and dont need the cold temps to bring out the purple, so im thinking if this does grow like it says then this would be perfect for the breeding program,

i also want a male auto, it will be interesting to see how the pollen from a male auto does, i have been putting pollen from none auto males onto female autos, but how does it work the other way round, so thats what i want to try,

say i had an blueberry auto female and purple widow male would this cross the same if i had a male auto blueberry and a female auto purple, which plant would carry the strongest gene, is it 50-50 or is the fem the stronger gene off the 2, will be interesting to see.

im experimenting with autos due to how they grow, it will be easy to see what has changed, where as crossing none auto plants would be harder to tell what trait each parent has passed on, at least with autos ill clearly see the difference from the crossed strains.

i got 2 sleestack cross skunk free and some diesel strain, ill check and let you know what it is.

so far the seed from the auto is doing ok and growing well,

Alot of stuff going on in this house..me too...so much i had to open a hospital...whats wrong with the roots if they develope a clear slime ???...do you treat or cut off...i got 2...one i treated and one i treated and cut on...my plants from herbies popped last night...so i made room ..i took all the sick and slow growers and put them in the hoepital...my cloner is the hospital...so i got 4 DWCs..3 from herbies...and my 6 midget plants i'm going to cut some buds off and reveg them...so what are you expecting from that sour kiwi...a sour taste ??...its getting cold..and that bush in the ground isn't ready yet..i like this sunshine pro mix 4...its got a lot of perlite in it...and no nutes...good drainage and gets real light when needing water.,.well..gotta go make my rounds check my patients...:thumb:

Slimy roots could mean root rot; are they brown in colour and slimy, and if you rub them gently does the brown surface of the root flake off? A sign as it progresses is your plants will wilt, particularly towards the end of lights on, but will seem more perky when the lights first come on after their dark period.

If it's root root, then it's often caused as dp suggested by too high res temps. Soak the roots in Dutch Masters Zone, will sort them out. And then run the DMZone with your nutes, it will keep everything sterile.

Slimy roots could mean root rot; are they brown in colour and slimy, and if you rub them gently does the brown surface of the root flake off? A sign as it progresses is your plants will wilt, particularly towards the end of lights on, but will seem more perky when the lights first come on after their dark period.

If it's root root, then it's often caused as dp suggested by too high res temps. Soak the roots in Dutch Masters Zone, will sort them out. And then run the DMZone with your nutes, it will keep everything sterile.

the slime is clear not brown..and its only on the tap root..these plants were grown in a soiless mix...then put in DWC...temps did get high...i cut that part off and gave it a dunking in some h2o2o..seem to have solve the problem..

the slime is clear not brown..and its only on the tap root..these plants were grown in a soiless mix...then put in DWC...temps did get high...i cut that part off and gave it a dunking in some h2o2o..seem to have solve the problem..

Sounds fine then mate, probably nothing to worry about

check purple widow at herbies, i paid just over £10 for a pack of 12, the breeder pic looks like a very nice purple strain, it was cheap so i went for it, i will get some purple buds, at some point that is.

anyways my plants are all doing great, the buds on the plant i removed the leaves on are huge now, twice the size of the same plant that i did not remove the leaves from, on the plant i did i removed any leaf that had a stem over 1.5 inch or more, then any new leaves that grow that big get removed as well, and its pure bud, ill put up some pics of the 2 plants tomorrow so you can clearly see what i mean, its no leaf and pure bud, pics will be up tomorrow.

also ordered me some different autos as well, suppose to yield well according to the breeder info,

@miwa, sounds like you got the roots sorted then mate, chances are it was just the shock of going into the res from soil, or possibly the temps, this is what concerned me with doing a big dwc, its not to critical with the 2ltr dwc as they use the water so quick, but a big dwc would be standing round and constantly be full of nute rich water, so ill need to run a test bucket before i even think about doing the full dwc grow, but as its winter here now i should be ok with the temps, just concerned about the low night time temps though, so if i do the dwc then ill run the lights at night and have them off in the day.

these plants are stinking the whole place out, i had to go the shop and buy a few air fresheners, damn they stink,

dont you want your resivoir on the cool side? I dont do hydrow so I am just asking. from what I have read the water should be on the cooler side

anyways my plants are all doing great, the buds on the plant i removed the leaves on are huge now, twice the size of the same plant that i did not remove the leaves from, on the plant i did i removed any leaf that had a stem over 1.5 inch or more, then any new leaves that grow that big get removed as well, and its pure bud, ill put up some pics of the 2 plants tomorrow so you can clearly see what i mean, its no leaf and pure bud, pics will be up tomorrow.
what'd I tell you man! Glad you tried it out, so now I don't seem so crazy do I? :rofl: There is definitely a clear difference between defo'd plants and non-defo's. You will be surprised to realize that by doing this all the buds on the lower branching will also develop as a top would. It blew my mind, both of my plants have no leaves and only bud, the whole plant is a bud. I think we are onto something here, and the thing that makes defoliation so great is you use up a lot less space in the grow room due to less leaves and shaggy shit. Not only that but I've found that trich development really intensifies with no leaves, I've noticed my buds are much more crystalized than my last harvest at the same point last grow. Next plant you grow and defo you should also incorporate some super cropping into the plants too, by super cropping it turns even mediocre bud bearing branches into fat colas by targeting your nutes more to the super cropped buds on those branches. Every bud on my super cropped branches are large and fat and roughly the same size, so rather than settling for let's say, 4 fat main colas and 13 medium sized, and 20 small you can turn every branch into main colas and have 37 main colas, see what i'm saying? Im a firm believer that defo and super crop go together, I recommend you try it, you won't be disappointed! Cant wait to see pics, we can compare pics Ill take some for you too, you'll see not one leaf on my plants its just branches full of straight budzzzzzzzzzzz

dont you want your resivoir on the cool side? I dont do hydrow so I am just asking. from what I have read the water should be on the cooler side

cool but not frozen lol i'd even go as far to say there's probly an ideal range. I imagine large temperature fluctuations could stress your plants out some, possibly even slow growth.......Im not hydro man myself but i have an idea im going to play with involving a fish tank as a dwc setup, i have air pumps from my fish tanks so all i need is a stone and im gonna give her a go with a few of my sleestack, i dont have any PH testers or anything im just gonna wing it....ill add nutes and stuff the same way i do now just to the fish tank see what (if anything) i can grow, just going to cut the bottom of my soil pots once my plants have developed a stable root ball bordering root bound and then the roots should grow down right into the water in theory, need to black out the tank first though, thinking maybe wrapping it in heavy duty laminated construction paper

Yep...water temp needs to be cool in DWC...thats why i rather do hydro in the winter...one patient got released from my hospital..another one goes sat or sun...i dug two out of the ground and put them in pots..they are inside in the window..strain is unknown...one is growing like a xmas tree...the other two has flowers at the nodes..no branching..only fan leaves...a good transfer..didn;t even wilt...on my DWC..the temp got warm..plus i ran out of stuff to adjust my ph meter..so my ph was way off...i need to order a OG Ghost Train Haze...and a Chem Dog...going to start growing stronger THC strains...i was in the attic and found some seeds i was using last year outside..it might be a red head in there..i can't clone the one i got growing..no side branches..but i can reveg...i hope...ok...back to some more trimming..i'm going to start on the JH bush tomorrow..nights are getting cold..rain 3 days in a row...i figure 2 weeks trimming will take care of her and i need to buy more mason jars...stay focus...

thanks for all the advice, im not sure what the res temp needs to be, but my 2ltr dwc hempies dont ever seem to suffer with root issues so im thinking a bigger dwc would be about the same temp or slightly cooler, i just didnt know how cold it could be, didnt want it to get to cold when the lights are off an start causing problems.

this leaf removal method works well, im shocked at the difference, its really changed the way i think about growing, it seems to be working well so far.

my nirvana blue mystic has died, this was deformed from sprouting and never got better, well i say it died it was 2 nodes high and has been under 12-12 for a couple of weeks and it started flowering, problem was its a male, not even worth keeping for breeding, seems a dodgy strain, many other growers of this strain are having the same issues, badly deformed yellow and green leaves, seems very strange that everyone is having problems with this strain.

all my other 2 ltr dwc's are doing great and growing quick now, i also ordered some more auto seeds, ill do an update tomorrow with pics,

Back
Top Bottom