First Grow - CFL - Bag Seed - Hempy Coco

Re: First grow, CFL/Bag seed, Hempy coco

Ok I didn't wait a few days but here goes. Beth is doing well but top two leaves look lighter than the rest.

IMAG016111.jpg

IMAG016012.jpg

Now three of the six are doing better than the other 3 but they are starting a come back too.

IMAG01639.jpg

IMAG01655.jpg

IMAG016412.jpg

The little ones were the worst burnt, trimmed the dry brown off the leaves and they started to show signs of recovery. :peace:

I think you should do a little research into ph for coco. I took a quick look into some other threads and they were recommending a ph of 6 maybe even 6.1... I only say this because I have killed many plants from a lack of attention to ph. It doesn't take a whole lot to really hurt your plants, and if you look at my first journal you'll see some of your leaf discoloration and seedling deformation resembled the ones I had that had ph problems. Just something to look at if you have any free time, glad to see the girls are recovering. :Namaste:

Thanks I will read through your journal sometime today. My first problems stemmed from high Ph and they have done much better with it around or just under 6. I was told to go 5.6-6.0 due to the fact this is considered hydro and not be to concerned about the medium Ph just the water going in. the top leaf on Beth just showed the coloration yesterday and the prior sets were lighter than they are now. I am forced to use test strips right now but I am ordering a real ph meter ASAP. As for the little ones, they were burnt to a crisp by the 85 deg days we had last week. I was totally unprepared for it 60 is the ave high this time of year. Being in a closet on the second floor it got close to 100 degrees and they were too young to cope. The malformed leaves are not natural, I trimmed all the brown crispy dry ends to see if that would force any life it had left into making new leaf. It looks like that may have been the wrong thing to do. the smallest I trimmed the most (most damage too though) and the light trimmed are the three best recovering. I am using them to learn how bad I can treat them I guess. I just found out :cheer: I can get clones and reel seeds in my state so I am working on a real room in the basement now to start using something I want instead of crap from the garbage I have been smoking. I put off the building to long it may put me out of comition for a few days+ after but once it is done I'll bee good. :peace:

I just happened to look at the bottom of Beth's cup and saw lots of nice roots. being in such a tall cup I didn't think they would be at the bottom yet. I took this as a sign to give her a big girl home. I prepped a 2.5 gal bucket and transplanted her. One side was solid white roots and the other showed more coco through so she was not totally root bound yet. Gave her a big drink of Ph'd water (5.8-6 as close as I can guess with stupid strips) with SuperThrive. Now to tell the wife I need $100-$140 to build the closet downstairs, Not including lighting. Wish me luck, :peace:

I just happened to look at the bottom of Beth's cup and saw lots of nice roots. being in such a tall cup I didn't think they would be at the bottom yet. I took this as a sign to give her a big girl home. I prepped a 2.5 gal bucket and transplanted her. One side was solid white roots and the other showed more coco through so she was not totally root bound yet. Gave her a big drink of Ph'd water (5.8-6 as close as I can guess with stupid strips) with SuperThrive. Now to tell the wife I need $100-$140 to build the closet downstairs, Not including lighting. Wish me luck, :peace:

I just remind her how much not growing costs and no "dry" spells. I just have to deal with her paranoia.

Hey Thawk. Just read through that journal you suggested(your first) Good tips on the ph but damn I was not ready for that ending. So sorry for you. Dont know if I'm more angry at them so sad for you.
All is well in the closet. Have decided on a 4x4 tent instead of building with wood. With my physical condition it is better this way. I helped the bother in law put together two patio chairs yesterday and I can hardly move today so building is a pipe dream I need to give up. I found a 59" x 59" X 78" tent on amazon for $110.

59(L) x 59(W) x 78(H) Reflective Hydroponics Tent
Unique Large Door Design for Easy Moving Plants and Setting up Lighting.
Tent Exterior: Black 600D Polyester Nylon Plastic Lined Grow Tent
Tent Interior: 100% Highly Reflective Water-proof Mylar
Highly Reflective Non-Toxic Waterproof PVC Plastic.
Removable double Water-Proof PVC Plastic Floor Tray
Built in Heavy-Duty (2) Zippered Windows for Better Sunshine, Ventilation and Easy to Assemble and Disassemble.
New Style Rectangle Windows with Mesh for Better Sunshine and Ventilation.
Multiple Ventilations: (3) Rectangles (2) 3 Diameters, (5) 6 Diameters.
Multiple Air Ventilation Vents for 3in or 6in filter Fan output.
Side Pockets for Storing PH Meters
Metal Rails for Lighting Equipment.
Strong Powder-Coated Metal Framework with Metal Connectors
Light-Proof Material: Prevent Light from Entering or Exit for Controlled Light Cycles.
Removable Roof Cross Members which Makes it Easier to Adjust Lighting and Accessories.
Compatible with 400Watt, 600Watt and 1000W Grow Lights Set Up

I can use that for now and save for a larger one and then use this one for veg. I figure another $100 for lighting and it should work for the time being. I can get free shipping on Amazon so I can use those savings for a Ph meter and 6" inline fan. I am worried by the low price but if I can get 6-12 months out of it I will be more than happy.:peace:

Thought I would update my photos. Beth is growing nicely, the bright green leaves darkened as they grew. It is the same on all the leaves on her. They are just brighter at the beginning. I think I did the pruning correctly on the top. It looks like there will be four branches reaching for the stars.
IMAG01779.jpg

IMAG01788.jpg

IMAG01806.jpg

Should I trim the very lower vegetation in pic below? On my tomatoes they call them suckers, Small leaf sets coming out at the site of first(single blade) and second(three blade) leaf sets. I trim them to send more energy upwards but am unsure if it is needed here or is she too young yet.
IMAG01795.jpg

The recovery crew is progressing but I noticed what Thawk said about some deformed foliage(middle front). I will attribute it to the earlier Ph issues and heat stress.
IMAG01817.jpg

The only seed of 6 to crack is doing what the first ones did, showing green round leaves and stalling there (second from the left top row. The others stayed like that for 2 weeks and showed no root growth when I culled them. the two to the right are two or three days younger. So I am not very hopeful for it. :peace:

Will do Dadums, Yeah those are the guys to take notes from for sure. I am going to do 2L hempy with the little ones. this one I put into a 2.5 Gal bucket from large Dunkin' ice coffee cup. I was shocked at the amount of roots. The cup was 8" deep of solid roots on a 3" plant. She must have needed the room because instead of shock and slowed growth she grew 1.5" in three days and has twice the amount of foliage close to main stem. I now believe she is Indica dominant, the leaves measure 1.5" across the top blade(looks like a football). Boy I hope she is a girl after all this. LOL. The closet is starting to have a lovely aroma, not of stinky MJ yet but pleasant. Wife is on board with the tent Idea and I should be able to order on Friday (after we pay the mortgage) unless the state sends the taxes before then. Question? Will I ever get tired of checking on the plants 3 or 4 times a day? I thought it would be work but all I have is fun. Imagine how much fun it will be when I actually get them to grow right! :peace:

I don't know, but, if you're vegging and you already fimmed/topped, it would seem its neither a single cola or a 12/12 start to finish SOG. Anyhoots, I think an across the board comparison with 420fied's grow won't be as relevant as you may think. You're going from seed where as he did clones straight into flower after rooting. They start off already X amount mature and thus the set 21 day/ 45 day defoliation schedule in FLOWER. If you're vegging, train/prune as you see fit/need. I would've wacked them "feeders" at the same time as the fim myself. Now you'll just have an added "stress" time later on. I don't think you want to crewcut the young lass at any given time, but you don't want to be giving weekly haircuts either.

Look through Docbud's hempy stuff from a year or two ago; I think it will make a better comparison as he starts with seed also...although he goes 12/12 from the git. Speaking of which, let that little girl recover a tad from the fim (prob already has, lol) and consider changing the light schedule now.

Just my near worthless two cents.

Cheers,
John

Your going to get a lot of different answers, but I personally think you should go ahead and pull off the very bottom ones, ESP since Beth isn't a SOG plant. If you do remove it, leave no trace to where it could try to regroup at the same point, so It will use the energy it was trying to use for that scrawny bottom leaf on the leaves up top. Also I think some people are getting a little caught up on the actual days to defoliate. 21 and 45 are solid template numbers, but varying on strain, medium, lighting, etc... It's not going to be the same all the time. Sometimes not even close...(my third dimension strain finishes in 42 days, how could I defoliate at 45?) 420fied said you shold defoliate a couple days after all the stretching is done and bud development is now the plants primary focus, and the second one is when all the leaves that we're small or plucked have grown back( roughly 3-4 weeks later). Personally I have been doing a preliminary defol before sticking them into 12/12 in which I remove all bottom bud sites that I don't want energy going to and any big leaves that are not even a little helpful. Afte this one, it doesn't looked defoliated, it just looks nicely groomed... This helps to make sure light gets to all the bud sites during stretching to help promote and even canopy and more developed bud sites near the bottom. By 21 days they are loaded with leaves again and ready for a defol. Anyways I think everything is looking good, you have my advice, good luck.

Ps. No you never get tired of it.... I got sit in the room with my plants and read or play music and smoke with them sometimes. You never want to neglect your girls!

Thanks John, I will put her to flower next week when I get the new tent in. She is a short one though just over 4.5" yesterday, was thinking on getting her to a foot tall first but with all I put her through She may just be a shorty but she did grow a half inch a day since transplant. Time will tell she may get close to 10 or so inches by the time the tent gets here if she keeps growing like this. She was mostly a test on what I can or cant do to her being my first ever real attempt at growing. She stayed so tiny for so long but is putting up with me pretty well lately. Distance between nodes is only just over an inch, very tight so light penetration was on my mind. I grew a couple seeds in years past outside (never made it to bloom) and they were so stretched out and spindlely in comparison. I believe I now have somewhere local to get clones from to start a more beneficial grow quality wise. The bag she came from was mediocre at best. :peace:

Good to hear Thawk because 3 or 4 times a day was a minimum, LOL. During lights on the smell is starting to break through the little closet into the 15' outer closet and into the bedroom. Good way to convince wifey to get tent ASAP. She is understanding and supportive in-spite of the aroma. The 3-400 saving a month may have a great deal to do with that also. I said good morning to Beth earlier and I can hardly see through her now, looks so beautiful Please, Please be a girl. Having only one survive a boy will be so sad, but I learned how to not kill them so it is a win one way or the other. :peace:

The order has been placed; :smokin:
Mylar Reflective 59" X 59" X 78" Hydroponics Grow tent
6-Inch 240 CFM Air Duct Inline Hydroponic Booster Fan
Milwaukee Instruments PH600AQ Ph Tester

Beth is looking and smelling quite nice. She has doubled her height in the past week since going into the 2.5 gal pot. her width has about doubled too and I have to move vegetation to see her stem, growth everywhere vibrant and green. She will go into the tent when it gets here, it should arrive by the tenth.

Well the last seed of good that sprouted has not changed or grown in over a week. Maybe I did not kill the first ones after all. The burnt ones are coming back strong even though some have some deformed foliage the new growth looks good. :peace:

Thank you dadums, their home now is so pitiful it is almost more of a beginning than a upgrade LOL. They gotta move out of the xmas tree and a/c storage way to tight in there to do more than start the veg. I cant wait to set the new toys up. Now to start collecting 2700K CFL's and reflectors. Going to sell my 14' Bass Jon boat to get a HPS light as soon as the weather here is warmer so I get as much coin as possible for it. I haven't been fishing in 4 years since the injury so why not sell it and put the cash toward my new favorite hobby. I just took a couple pics just to keep up the visual record of the progress. I do believe it is getting thick under her skirt.
IMAG01948.jpg

IMAG01979.jpg

And the ICU crew, some coming back faster than others but they are recovering
IMAG019814.jpg

:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom