First Grow - CFL - Bag Seed - Hempy Coco

Re: First grow, CFL/Bag seed, Hempy coco

Questions?
Would Perlite be an easier medium to start with than coco as far as draining better and drying faster? Would I be able to tell when to add water more accurately? and should I use smaller cups for their first home? Thinking the water reserve in the Dunkin' large ice coffee cups may be a bit deep for the youngsters at first, Or does the medium wick up what they need for liquid regardless of the depth of the cup/pot? :peace:

Looked in on the girls(?) just for giggles and the dropped seed seems to grown close to a 1/8"in new leaf in the last 5 hrs and is no longer droopy. There may be a glimmer of hope left in the closet for one or two. Put 8 more bag-seeds (fresh from last purchase nothing to write home about) in paper towel in zip top baggie in warm dark spot to crack, will replace the original babies from worst up if need be as new seedlings become available. I think at least two of the original 4 are slated for the chopping block unless a miracle of growth happens.

Could the fact that they had been in a pill box in my sock draw for 4-5 yrs contribute to the lack of growth after sprouting? Maybe I am just a bad parent and not a horrible awful one leaving the possibility for me rehabilitate myself and keep off the group "W" bench.

With a better handle on temps and Ph I think I can get through seedling stage and I can now move on to screwing up in veg stage. Think I will scrap previous plans for now and try a go at coco hempy with OC+ for these about to be new sprouts. Using RO water with cal/mag going forward.:peace:

Looked in on the girls(?) just for giggles and the dropped seed seems to grown close to a 1/8"in new leaf in the last 5 hrs and is no longer droopy. There may be a glimmer of hope left in the closet for one or two. Put 8 more bag-seeds (fresh from last purchase nothing to write home about) in paper towel in zip top baggie in warm dark spot to crack, will replace the original babies from worst up if need be as new seedlings become available. I think at least two of the original 4 are slated for the chopping block unless a miracle of growth happens.

Could the fact that they had been in a pill box in my sock draw for 4-5 yrs contribute to the lack of growth after sprouting? Maybe I am just a bad parent and not a horrible awful one leaving the possibility for me rehabilitate myself and keep off the group "W" bench.

With a better handle on temps and Ph I think I can get through seedling stage and I can now move on to screwing up in veg stage. Think I will scrap previous plans for now and try a go at coco hempy with OC+ for these about to be new sprouts. Using RO water with cal/mag going forward.:peace:

Questions?
Would Perlite be an easier medium to start with than coco as far as draining better and drying faster? Would I be able to tell when to add water more accurately? and should I use smaller cups for their first home? Thinking the water reserve in the Dunkin' large ice coffee cups may be a bit deep for the youngsters at first, Or does the medium wick up what they need for liquid regardless of the depth of the cup/pot? :peace:

I find coco the easiest for learning to water. When dry it weighs nothing. Yet it holds water like nothing else. Yet drains as well. I have yet to over water coco.

Your cup size is fine. Till the root hits the res I recommend lightly hand watered. Keep it moist not soaked. I find Perlite requires more frequent watering in the beginning. Once the root hits the res its the same pretty much. There is some wick action but I prefer to water in small frequent amounts and have some control and consistency in the medium.

Thanks Smokz I'll stick with what I got, I was concerned that the coco was moist but it wasn't soaked. i think I expected it to be dryer before watering. but I see now and can hear it like you said in your OC+ journal(indoor) cal/mag to day and I'm ready for the next attempt.

They look the same today maybe a little in the dropped one and on original. Don't know how they aren't dead yet. Got new starters and ph test kit yesterday. Form the tap through A Pur pitcher filter: PPM 100 or less, Ph 5.8 (7+ from tap) And like I thought no measurable chlorine. Still going to use RO or bought water as pitcher is ok as they drink more it will be hard to keep up and have my ice water in the fridge I need water too. As the new batch crack I will replace all but the dropped (I'll name her Beth) one here on known by "BETH" and see how we go unless that miracle...... Everyone have a great day:peace:

Welcome Inxter2009 and Thawk. I was off to a bit of a ruff start but got great input to get back on track (thanks Smokz):thanks:.

I am now convinced that Beth and one original seed are showing signs of life. The other 4 are just taking up space. Beth has the start of her fist three blade leafs emerging and something might be happening in the center of the other. For some reason I couldn't get a clearer pic of the later.
Hard to see but there is growth from yesterday
last_two_standing_050.JPG

Even harder to see but it's there. The first sign of life in three weeks of mistreatment
last_two_standing_051.JPG

:peace:

Looked in on the closet at lights on, still manual midnight to 6 am timer next week. pulled the 4 worst ones 0 -1/4 " of root never had a chance. The last of the original 6 is looking the same but Beth is moving along. it is noticeably taller than last night and I rearranged the last twp and read close to 1000 lumens at soil level. three of the 8 seeds have cracked and beginnings of a tap root coming out. Will out them in to starter pucks this afternoon. Water is under control just a bit of Ph down to bring filtered tap H2O down to 5.8 , I'm happy with the rest of the number there getting 100PPM after adding SuperThrive and adjusting Ph.Temps are 70-78 depending on lights on or off. And will add a 5" sq exhaust fan for some circulation on Friday.

With new seeds in starters should I still keep them in the dark like in the paper towel until they are sprouted or put the germination tray into the closet under the lights so they get photo energy as soon as they can? :peace:

Maybe I should just start every post with thanks Smokz. Cool, so into the closet they go. There were actually 4 that cracked when I whet to move them and they are in the tray waiting to wake up now, will add the remaining to them as they crack. Pucks are prepped and ready to go. Got "NK Starter Pellets" they are a slight bit smaller than the burpee but seem looser medium to let roots move through it better.

Beth seems to be growing by the minute cant wait for tonight to see how she(?) changed, will photo both survivors and post pics then. I forgot to include the mother in law had a small amount of OC regular and I added just a little to Beth and one of the expired ones when I loosened the coco the other was doomed anyway and did not care much about Beth back then so tried it till I order the plus and she is growing in leaps and bound from two days after. I would have OC+ now if any local carried it just tons of regular formula.:peace:

The difference between the Plus and the others is the included trace minerals. You can supplement them if you wish to use the regular OC. MG (miracle grow) also make a suitable controlled release product called Shake and Feed with calcium added, and it has trace minerals. I bet that one is on the shelf at your local retailers. Big green jug. It was mentioned in my posts somewhere. Msquared here at 420 also uses it. Just for your info OC and MG are both Scott's products. I should do a side by side, I have both.

Back for school and I'm going to have to call it on the last of the 6, time to end its misery. Beth is spreading her little 3 blade first set of leafs with nice bright color and looking happy. 3 of the 4 seeds in the Paper towel are popped waiting on last one for a 8 out of 8 germ. they will be put into the pucks and tray in the morning. :peace:

Good morning all, wife thought I looked tired so let me sleep in so night time lasted 2 hrs longer for the closet(timer budgeted for next week). She means well but not sure about the whole growing meds thing but she is trying to understand it and is always been very accepting of anything I do in life. She will like the idea better when I am up & going and no longer have to spend $200-$400 a month to kill enough pain to function. That money back in the budget is disparately needed right now. I have been skipping buying meds every other week to keep home life right but my school work suffers big time and I only have two classes to deal with.

Got the 3 seeds with nice little white roots placed into their pellets and put three more with the unopened one in towel to crack and to fill the tray. Have seen info on putting them from 1/4" to 1' deep so I am trying to go a little deeper this time just in-case the first try was too shallow and the root pushed itself out of the medium instead of digging in. My state allows "12 mature plants (having flowers or buds)". So I figure I'll stock up on immature plants til I have enough females venturing into cloning to sex them as I go. I'm much more relaxed this time with water and environment better controlled. Beth is looking like a perfect two week old specimen sad since she's 4 weeks but I think she is recovering nicely.

Here are the photos from this morning at lights on:
IMAG009313.jpg

IMAG009410.jpg

I thinks she is looking beautiful and not stretching to get enough light. She is giving me hope for this next batch of seeds.

Should I switch these to a new journal or ask to have title changed since Plans have changed and I will be using OC+ or equivalent and not the BPN for the time being. I wouldn't want the title to mislead someone looking for a particular nutrient grow. I want to try BPN in the future but I think I need to K.I.S.S. until I am covering my needs somewhat before changing things up to achieve desired quality and yield. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom