First Grow Ever, Using CFL

Still looking great CFL! I dig the cabinet you made!

Also, I agree with TorturedSoul. You should try to pick up a cheap digital ph meter. I tried the drops my first time around, and I found it really hard to match colors, especially after I added nutes and molasses to my water during flower...they change the color of the water so much it makes it almost impossible to match to the color chart.
Anyway, that's just my 420 cents!

keep up the good work. PEACE!!

That's a new one on me, lol. I always thought the purposes for LST were to promote branching - as training a plant so that its "top" is no longer the highest part of the plant will cause growth hormones/auxins to be redistributed and promote branching as a survival mechanism (the plant will seek out light, which evolution has "taught" it is generally coming from above) - without having to actually remove part of the plant to do so, and also to help even the canopy so that the light can be placed close to all of it instead of merely shining down on one (or a few) tops.
You seem sure of yourself and after having done a couple hours of research, I am pretty sure you are totally correct. :ganjamon: Ever thought about making a nice marijuana plant physiology thread for those of us that like technical details?

:peacetwo:

Not sure who was asking about the pipe cleaners?

They are small bendy wires with a coating on, often fabric that are literally used to clean 'smoking pipes' with, not the pipes for your house or anything. They can be bought at tabacconists or handycraft shops or of course grow shops if you have any local, where people might use them to clean out their bongs n stuff

pipe cleaners

:thumb:

Thank you for all the positive vibes :peace: nice to see you guys also enjoy it, and thanks for the good feedback!
They are smelling nice :yummy:

Well yeah, you already answered but here are my pipe cleaners (used to smoke pipes :yahoo: )
IMG_4815.JPG

Few pics of the bondage i did today
IMG_4816.JPG

#2 New shoots starting to set in
IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_48202.JPG

Well i can't paint my grow cabinet for this grow, i have nowhere to put them, so i think im gonna put in some white paper again...
And sadly my budget can't afford a digital pH meter but as i have seen, it is a must in this hobby.

also the lower one leaf leaves had gone a little yellow, so i cut them :sorry::peace:
and im thinking of starting flowering when they are 21, it's a nice age :D

If you notice any yellowing, I would hold off on cutting it off until the leaf pretty much falls off.. Even though it's yellow, the plant can still use it. Sometimes if the yellowing is very small, I just cut that portion of the leaf off.

The LST is looking great dude, wait a week and see how bushy it gets! I had a very small amount of light for my first grow, and I LST'ed the hell out of them and they turned into short bushes. Very effective method of increasing your yield. I can't wait to see the results when you're flowering.

Keep it up bro, plants are looking great!

Nice job.

Cant you find black paper maybe, or something thicker?

I would have to agree with Crimson amigo, dont be cutting off leaves on the first sign of yellowing. This is natures way of informing you what is wrong and you should find a way of correcting it, not just slice and dice else you maybe will not find out why iot happens and also are causing more stress to the plant.

The longer you veg for the bigger the yield over all, 21 is very young. I have already learned to my cost that patience is a virtue in this game

I just love sitting in front of the box looking them grow mmmmmm

Black paper? does it reflect more light? What are you thinking? or just thicker white paper?

If 21 is young, how old should i let them get? They also have to fit in the cabinet. And i don't know how much free room i'll have, the plants have not yet shown signs of sex and they might not show before the flowering stage... Also i would not like to put them into new pots, they should grow big in small pots if fed more often and with more nutrients? I saw a guy do really big plants in plastic drinking cups, but i can't find the thread ATM.

Also i would like to take clones sometime

But well see how big they get at 21, then post pics and ask for opinions

:ganjamon:

Had to tie them down some more today :grinjoint: i feel like such a pervert for doing this :smokin:

Shoots are coming in
IMG_4821.JPG

Another sample of the success of LST
IMG_48223.JPG

I don't understand why everybody does not do it
IMG_48232.JPG

I just love sitting in front of the box looking them grow mmmmmm

Black paper? does it reflect more light? What are you thinking? or just thicker white paper?

If 21 is young, how old should i let them get? They also have to fit in the cabinet. And i don't know how much free room i'll have, the plants have not yet shown signs of sex and they might not show before the flowering stage... Also i would not like to put them into new pots, they should grow big in small pots if fed more often and with more nutrients? I saw a guy do really big plants in plastic drinking cups, but i can't find the thread ATM.

Also i would like to take clones sometime

But well see how big they get at 21, then post pics and ask for opinions

:ganjamon:

Im just thinking that the light may still shine through that white paper is all, literally test it by looking through it or something, you really do not want any light getting through to the roots.

21 is young but you can actually start to flower at any stage of course and yes, height restrictions will certainly have a bearing on this. There are ways to keep them lower like lst'ing etc On average they will triple in size during flowering I would say.

I have gotten into debates over the size of pots on several occasions. In my opinion many people use larger pots than is necassary for the duration that they are growing for. It is easier to manage smaller pots and will be more economical. Yes you can grow larger plants in larger pots if vegged for months etc but it really comes down to space again.

The general rule is that blooming plants require approx one American gallon of soil for each foot of height. I personally think you can use less if done right. Even adding those clay balls to the top of pots can give you 25% more grow space as roots very rarely grow in this top few inches of soil but you can do it so that they will.

Are you talking about the pots? the white pots are made of plastic. Might there be any light leaks into the soil?
But yeah, i put double white paper on the walls at the moment.

But what i have red is that -
"Why force the plants out of its vegetative stage into flowering so early? CFL lights have limited penetration. They cannot maintain a healthy plant larger than 20 inches (51cm) in height. Many new indoor growers think that bigger plant means more bud. well, they may be right, but more buds do not mean a larger yield (more wight). A large plant grown under CFL's may have many small fluffy uds, most weighing less than 5 grams( .018 ounces). A smaller plant can produce buds that weigh a lot more. A smaller plant 20 inches or less can utilize the limited lumens of a CFL better than a larger plant because the light is shining over a smaller area. A mature plant will double and even quadruple in size when it's light cycle is changed from 24 hours of light to 12 light/12 dark. 95%-100% of vertical growth will occur in the first 2-3 weeks of the 12/12 light cycle. when a plant is forced to flower before it reaches maturity it more than quadruples its size. Varieties differ gratly in size and growth after including flowering. Indicas grow about 25% taller, hybrid 50-100% taller and sativas double or triple in height."
From "Marijuana buds For less - grow 8oz. of bud for less than 100$" by SeeMoreBuds

So 21 would be ideal? In that guide they set it to flower at the age of 16 days. Worked out good. But that is just theory ;)

And how to use smaller pot to grow a bigger plant? Can you tell me about it or direct me towards a guide or something?

:peace::thanks::peacetwo::peace:

actually those pots are okay, i was referring to to the transparant ones.

I think you are doing everything right and that at 21 days you should reflect again at that stage as we touched upon ;-)

nothing is written in stone, all environments are different and will produce different growth/repotting needs etc

Some great info on the grow tips page for the trqasnplanting and training sections etc

Many thanks, i have been reading a lot today. It is cool to know more.
420 magazine forums are amazing and all the people! Amazing stuff!

Also should i do a 36 hour nap for them before i set them to 12/12?
:peace:

looking very good CFL man! i stumbled upon your grow journal and i liked the newer setup. i'm growing as well under CFL's for the 1st time. looks like your plants have been growing smoothly with minimal stress unlike my first month.
i know someone already mentioned the perlite to make the soil less heavy, but it is well worth it. After transplanting my best 4 into 5 gallon homedepot buckets with plenty of perlite it seams to be making a huge difference. see if you can get your hands on some. Any hydro shop will carry it, although might be a distance away. sometimes the perlite is premixed into the soil. (always good to add more though)
check out my current grow
CFL White Rhino + Northern Light Grow

when i figure out how to subscribe i'll do so.

I will do so as well. Always been a fan of the 'roos, lol.

when i figure out how to subscribe i'll do so.

For one thread: Go up towards the top of the thread and click on Thread Tools. That'll drop down a menu. Then click on Subscribe to This Thread.

To auto-subscribe to all threads that you post in: Click on User CP at the top of the page. On the left, click on Edit Options. Then under the Messaging and Notification section where it says Default Thread Subscription Mode, set it to No email notification. That will cause you to be subscribed to threads you post in without hitting you with an email every time someone posts in them.

While viewing your User CP, you can also click on Edit Signature (on the left) and create a signature. Many people who post a journal decide to add a link to it in their .SIG so that others can easily find it. After clicking on the link to edit yours, just type whatever you wish to appear at the bottom of your posts. You can, for example, type My WR & NL Grow. Then highlight that particular bit of text and click on the icon in the edit box that looks ike a blue ball with a link of chain in front of it. That will open another box. Paste the link to your journal into it and it will make a live link out of the text in your .SIG that you highlighted. If you have any trouble doing so, hit me up with a PM (so as not to clog this thread) and I'll be glad to clarify any questions you might have.

Holy Sex Batman! :grinjoint:

I was going to do a post about how all my 7 plants look before and after LST in total 14 pictures boring eh? :Rasta:

While doing LST today i found some sex! Actually while sleeping today in the morning i also saw sex in my dreams :slide:

Anyway i woke up, checked on my babies, they needed some tieing down, while doing just that with a bit of a hangover 2 of the plants showed me their balls!
One more i think might be male, im going to let it develop a little more to be sure.
I was kinda dissapointed that i did not find any female pre hairs in the beginning! But there it was! One of my little bushes had the holy grail :smokin: a little white hair! im so sicked!
So i think 3 of my 7 plants are males and are getting tossed :clap: i thank them for trying
4 plants that do not have balls and the one with a white pistil, the girls are going to be welcomed to the family!:hug:

Sadly my camera lens is not capable of good macro shots, so there wont be a picture of the hair at the moment.
But by the end of the day i will have posted more pictures. They are going to need water today!

Also i got some seaweed extract. Might be good to them :smokin:

1905.jpg

2607.jpg

I started to ramble... I could just pass out, it is one thing to wake up drunk but to also find out that your babies are also maturing... Is an other thing. They grow up so fast!:drool:

And they smell nice, daddy is a perv :Rasta:

Age 20 days,

Well yeah, gonna do a boring post. Sorry guys...

The ones that got tossed
IMG_4833.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

May they rest in peace. But damn now i am left with plants that need a lot more care to make something out of them.

She is looking better already, this was one of the plants that had some pH damage, but that is under control now. A bit of a runt.
IMG_4842.JPG

One beauty
IMG_4841.JPG

This one is a bit of a runt, but we will manage
IMG_48402.JPG

And again, one with rust, but is getting better by the day. Otherwise a nice bush.
IMG_4839.JPG

Gave them 2/3 strength nutrients today with seaweed extract. Also i have been spraying half strength seaweed solution to the leaves daily.
Since now i know i have females i will veg a little longer to get clones. Don't wanna go through the seed experience before i get some good genetics.

Will be updating in the near future!

I haven't gone to 12/12 yet they just showed their sex, as i read they may do that from time to time. Don't know the exact reasons.

But as the point of 36 hours of darkness would be to let the roots grow more and i am pretty certain that my roots are pretty well developed and there is limited space in my pots, i don't see any point in that actually. I would do it if i would put them into bigger pots tho. Dunno will see

Back
Top Bottom