First Grow!

martymcfly

Hi guys ... just wanted to say heyand introduce myself. I started this first grow as a fluke because I got some seeds in a bought batch of weed. I started with those twirly light bulbs and a 150watt incandescent bulb. Recently a friend gave me all of his growing equipment, so now I have about 20 or so plants of varying heights because I planted them at random times. They range in height from about 6 inches to 16 inches high. They are presently growing under a 1000 watt HID light, about a foot from the lamp, with a strong breeze from 2 fans going at all times. I have chosen a 24 hour light schedule for my plants. Temp is hard to keep down so it's at about 26 celius, ph is at 6.8 approx. and humidity level at about 30 -35%. I have positively identified 2 as female so far, and all the others that are just at the point of pre-flowering and all look female. I leave tap water sitting for about a day before watering and feed with vit B1 everyday, as well as some other growth liquid that I can't remember right now.

The strain that I am growing is a Jack Herer, can't remember the name of that one ....something "rah".

My question is ... when should I switch to the 12 on 12 off light schedule, keeping in mind I have different sized plants.

Thanks ...

Oh, almost forgot ... am also experimenting with a 150 watt LED light on a seperate plant in a different area. Anyone have experience with LED's?

Welcome missmouse!

It ll depends on when you would switch. By the number of plants you said you have i would flower soon. Unless you are going to grow more like 10 or less plants. then you can put in larger pots and keep on the 24 or 18/6 light schedule for another couple weeks. Post a pic and we can better help you miss.

good luck

So, l decided to change the light cycle to 18hrs on, 6 hrs off ... leaves were curling downwards and I read that too much light can be a bad thing. I have 19 plants growing in one area with the HID, and 2 growing under the LED. The ones under the led light have their leaves straight out, even slightly turned upwards.

Question ... How often should I soak my plants ... I read that you should have 30% runoff. So far I have been using weight as an indicator, usually every 2-3 days. Was having some pH problems at the beginning but all is good now. I can't believe that out of 22 seeds, 21 are female. My tallest is now about 17 inches and am thinking to put them to the 12/12 schedule. Also, when do they start to smell? I am putting a carbon filter in asap.

first...hiya and welcome

second...OMG!! 21 plants for a new grow yikes!!

third...you can do it!!

light cycle is dependent on grower,your growth will increase right after the change and grow to double sometimes even more in size
so keep in mind how much room you have and decide. then switch to 12/12 all plants no matter age or size will begin a change

you should soak your plants when you water,you should water when the soil is dry completely
it is ok to water a bit early once in a while but not regular,roots will do better with some dry time
smells can come and go,i think its like hormones,sometimes it runs strong sometimes not so much
once you have some in full flower i think you will notice
keep in mind you are growing immune so to speak to the smell while others might be like whoa!! what is that smell?
cant ya smell that smell...oooOOo...that smell
anyway silly me on to the led,i too recently put a 150 watt led in my area and guess we can learn together
if i hear of any good tips or tricks i will be sure to holler
start a journal and learn how to post pics and you will get a whole lot more attention
take care and good luck

first-grow.618196

Fist Grow - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Hopefully that worked ... and thanks for the great advice. I have to re-pot about 10 of them again already, roots growing out the bottom after 10 days! I am getting decent results with the UFO LED light. Still in experimentation mode before I change my whole system to LED. I also noticed that I am having to water alot more often now. Light is still a 12 inches from the canopy and the plants seem to be loving it.

Hi missmouse,

Just a quick drop by to offer a warm welcome to 420 Magazine. :welcome:

Noticed a few of your questions are understandably pretty basic "first grow" stuff and so also wanted to point to you a few resources on the site to assist. Under the "Grow Room" tab at the top of the screen is a subcategory "How to grow Marijuana" that many have found to be very helpful. It's not just the basics, although their covered thoroughly, but also more advanced info.

Second resource to assist is the search feature located under the "Forums" tab at the top left. From here you can search the entire site for any word or combinations of words, with the results coming from every corner of the entire sight.

Be well, happy growing, and again - Welcome to :420:

Back
Top Bottom