First Indoor Grow, WW & NL Autos

August 9: Week 9, Day 65. Watered each with 1 gallon containing a small dose (1/3rd tsp) of Dyna-Gro Bloom. pH 6.5. No molasses – didn't arrive from Amazon in time and both were wanting water this morning. Temps: 75-77 RH: 40% Lights: 17”. Tessa might finish sooner than expected. Her main cola is ~9 inches long and she has a lot of side branches that are thickening. Wendy still plugging along. She may go to 80 days or even a few more. That said she has 5 tall colas and another 4-5 shorter budding stalks. At one point I thought Tessa would produce a larger yield than Wendy, but I can't say that anymore.

August 10: Week 9, Day 66. We're in the home stretch so I'll be updating more often.

August 11: Week 9, Day 67. Received the clip-on Kingmas microscope yesterday and shot a few Tessa trichome pics. Pretty disappointed with it's performance. Can't get it to reach sharp focus. I may have to remove an individual leaf to look closely at it with the scope. Anyway, picture quality is bad (if not awful), but you can at least get a vague idea where she's at. Pretty fair number of milky/cloudy trichomes, and some amber as well, but the majority still seem clear. Looking straight down on trichomes can seem to make some appear cloudy but when viewed from the side they appear clear.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Wendy
4.jpg

Tessa
5.jpg

They are very close, any amber on the calyx?

Thx for the reply Pennywise. Just checked Tessa with a loupe. Mostly clear, few milky/cloudy trichomes, one single, lonely amber trichome. I'll be checking daily at this point. Since she received several doses of nutrients, I'm gonna give her a 15 gallon flush. Guessing she has another week, maybe less. You're a lot more knowledgeable - what do you think?

I'd say you're right, I'd give her one more week.

Okay, good to get that confirmation. Thanks! I'm thinking next week a single 15 gallon flush is all that's needed considering she didn't receive a whole lot of added nutrients. Likely on Wednesday or Thursday, followed by harvest on Saturday (which would be Day 74). Nothing set in stone but that's sort of how things seem to be going.

August 12: Day 69. Not much has changed. Temps: 74-76 degrees. RH: 41-45%. ViparSpectra still 17 “ above Wendy canopy. Watered each with ~1 gallon of 6.5 pH water with Dyna Gro Bloom and CaliMagic. NL Wendy will require at least 10 days to finish. Missed a day in my “Day count” - adjusted as of today.

August 13: Day 70. Still rotating plants quarter turn twice per day (wakeup and bedtime), and providing some very “close-in” CFL lumens on bud site side branches. Can't hurt doing so, so why not? I'm just adding more lumens where I can.

August 14: Day 71 for auto-flower NL Wendy and WW Tessa.

August 15: Day 72. Watered as usual. Should have watered last night because both Tessa and Wendy were pretty droopy this morning. Water a plant when it signals it needs water – don't wait until the next day. Better than that, lift the soft pot every day. If it feels light, water.

August 16: Week 10, Day 73. Temps: 74-76 degrees. RH: 41-45%. Lot of yellowing of “old age” leaves on both plants. Just a few days left until Tessa harvest so this isn't concerning at all. At this rate her chop is coming between Sunday and Tuesday. She's a “done deal”. I could harvest her right now and get a good smoke after drying and curing but I'm trying to harvest right at a combo heady buzz and a couch-lock effect.

Tessa
1.jpg

Wendy's bud development continues daily, but slower than expected. Her smaller “popcorn” buds have orange pistils, but not all her 5-6 large colas. I “want” her to be finished, but she just isn't. She clearly has a way to go.

August 17: Week 10, Day 74. Tessa harvest on Sunday or Monday. Temps 75 degrees, RH 42-45%. Lights at 17”. Leaves are really fading and yellowing on both plants.

August 18: Week 10, Day 75. Watered both as usual. Monday harvest for Tessa.

Tessa
2.jpg

Wendy
3.jpg

Both
4.jpg

More to come soon.

August 19: Week 10, Day 76. Tessa will be harvested in 24-48 hours. Boveda 62% humidipacks on hand and six Caliber IV Digital Hygrometers (small enough to drop right into the 32 oz wide-mouth Ball jars) are on hand as well.

August 20: Week 10, Day 77. Making plans for my next grow – a single Northern Lights auto-flower grow or two auto White Widow. One thing is for sure though, my second grow will absolutely use a serious tank CO2 setup. I'll be sticking with my LED light. I'd like to use an HPS setup, but in a small grow tent, I just don't want the heat issues.

August 21: Week 10, Day 78. Tessa's been harvested. Just out of curiosity, I weighed her main cola. Just shy of 9" and 46.4gm wet – she'll lose ¾ of that weight in drying / curing. Using a humidifier in the grow room to maintain 45-50% humidity so went with a simple wet trim. NL Wendy is plugging along. Needs at least 5-7 days more after checking her today.

Most of Tessa wet yield - some other nugs are hanging in the closet but not photographed.
1.jpg

Tessa
2.jpg

Wendy
3.jpg

I'll consider 5 oz, dried and cured, from both plants, a "successful grow" considering the mistakes I've made in this first indoor and first auto-flower grow. I'm nearly certain I'll meet, and beat, that mark. Kept a pretty careful log of my first-timer indoor mistakes... so I won't be repeating them on subsequent grows.

August 22: Humidity is staying right at 50% in the drying process. This weekend I'll slowly start dropping it. Can't wait to start the curing process next week. Wendy fattens buds daily.

August 23: Week 11, Day 80. Tessa buds still drying in RH 50% closet. Still pretty soft - maybe Sunday or Monday the buds will going into the 32 oz wide-mouth jars. No hurry.

NL Wendy is progressing nicely.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

August 24: Week 11, Day 81. Wendy doing well. Watered with 1.25 gallons. She should be ready for harvest somewhere between Sunday (Day 83) and Wednesday (Day 86). Third day of Tessa bud drying. Guessing they'll go into jars Monday. Did a little "test" of WW Tessa... pretty good, even without a cure.

August 25: Overnight, WW Tessa's buds DRIED much faster than I wanted. Final weight: 92 grams (3.28 oz). I'm happy with that yield. Placed the buds in three curing jars each with a 62% humidi-pack. They're at a RH of 55-56%. Wanna get that up to 60-65%. Later tonight, if need be, I'll exchange with a 75% Boveda until the humidity reaches 60-65%, then I'll replace it with a 62% pack and "burp" at least every day.

Hoping NL Wendy finishes sooner rather than later - geezus she smells. Open the door to the grow tent and the smell is like a punch in the face. Not a bad one - just really STRONG. I threw my back out big time last week and did a pretty poor wet trim on Tessa - just couldn't sit long enough to do it properly. When Wendy finishes, since I'm a lot better now, I'll do a good wet trim on her. I think Wendy will yield well over 4 oz - below picture looks like she's just heavier than a 4 oz plant. Fingers crossed. Seven + ounces of cured bud will last me quite a while - long enough to investigate and order up a CO2 tank system for the next grow already in the planning stages.

Wendy
1.jpg

August 27: Wendy to be harvested on Tuesday or Wednesday. She'll take 4-5 days to dry (don't think I can slow it up much more than this) and then buds in the jars for the cure. Hoping she'll provide 4.5+ ounce yield.

Tessa buds drying nicely at 61% RH with Boveda Humidi-Packs. Burping twice per day - wake-up time and bed-time.

1.jpg

Last pic of NL Wendy before the chop. Some of her stalks are so heavy with nugs they can't stand up straight under their own weight.

2.jpg

More to come.

Back
Top Bottom