First set of true leaves dying off - Normal?

simplyme

Hey guys!
So this is my second grow and for now I think all went quite well. I am indoor growing a Super lemon haze auto in biobizz light mix mixed with a bit organic soil from my garden, Lights: 150w CFL dual spectrum. Currently, the plant is 4 weeks old (including germination time with wet paper towel) and about 30cm tall. I noticed that, similar to my first grow, the first set of true leaves is starting to die off. Is this normal or are there any issues? I included 2 pics, because I know you like pics :love::Namaste:

IMG_20160107_163944945_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160107_164033225.jpg

Looks like you got some nutes in the soil then, but the plants seem to be loving what you are doing. Congratulations on the good leaf uplift, showing some pretty healthy and happy plants.

The burning on the tips of those leaves about midway up do show the signs of nutrient burn, so rest assured that whatever is in that soil, is working.. for now that is.

The lower fan leaf damage looks like it could be magnesium, and this usually is caused by the pH being maladjusted. Your plants are now at the age that their nutritional needs are expanding, and just nitrogen is not enough. Magnesium is needed in pretty large quantities a couple of times in the life cycle, and you are coming up on one right now. Make sure your pH is adjusted to 6.5 when you water and the plant should be able to pick up what magnesium is available in your soil and water. If you are using purified water, you should probably think about supplementing the magnesium with one of the calmag products out there, but definitely making sure the pH is in the proper range is your first step to solving this problem.

Good luck solving this quickly... this damage generally does not repair itself, it simply stops progressing.

Emmie

Thanks to all! Not sure about the nute burn, I think the tips got burnt 10 days ago when they directly touched the light for an extended period of time.

I measured the ph of my tap water and it was 6,2 (for the moment I am using test strips). Do you think I should add a small quantity of dolomitic lime to my water and/or soil? I've read that it raises ph and also contains magnesium.

Thanks to all! Not sure about the nute burn, I think the tips got burnt 10 days ago when they directly touched the light for an extended period of time.

I measured the ph of my tap water and it was 6,2 (for the moment I am using test strips). Do you think I should add a small quantity of dolomitic lime to my water and/or soil? I've read that it raises ph and also contains magnesium.

I would not add dolomite lime because it becomes a permanent part of the soil once you add it, and we could end up ruining a perfectly good soil, but if that is what you have on hand, it could be used a few times without hurting a lot. I used a less stable pH up when I needed it, a granule of lye ($6 at the local hardware store to clear drains) goes a long ways to quickly adjust water pH back up to where it needs to be. Pickling lime is also more water soluble and able to be used as a pH up... dolomite just won't break down fast enough to be very usable in this application.

Magnesium becomes mobile around 6.5 pH and up, so that is where I would adjust my water if I were you. The soil should cause a pH drift upward from there, grabbing the needed magnesium. All in all, this is a minor problem though, because your 6.2 water has been very good about picking up all the trace minerals, as well as the nitrogen needed so far. As you move into flower however, the need to be more accurate is going to become more important... and the ability to adjust your pH up or down as needed to get to 6.5 will definitely affect your grow.

Back
Top Bottom