First time growing stories

mojuan

I'm about as new as they get. Got the idea back in November, so 5 months? Does anyone have any horror stories or did everyone just grow fantastic flower the 1st time, :passitleft:
Mine has been a wild ride and I'm not sure if I'd smoke what I got going on. Experienced cold,humidity, heat, powerdery mildew, ventilation issues let's see what else. At this point I'm going to see it to the end, I WILL LEARN!!!!! LOL that is all

Hmm let me think....
Mold, overfed plants, underfed plants, dried out plants, overwatered plants, busted fans, venting issues, smell issues, timer issues, bulb issues, ballast issues, humidity issues, spider mites, timers catching on fire, extension cords melting, busted exploded and melted HID bulbs, police raids, more police raids, extreme paranoia... more mold. All this and more. But after the first few years it started getting better.

Edit- Also- hermies. Lots and lots of hermies and seeds. Male plants seeding everything. Deer. Disputes with psychotic grow partner. And LOTS of ph problems.

Not staying it's impossible but very few just jump into it and everything goes well, as it is a learned experience somewhere between Science and an Art ;) . Too many folks go into it with high expectations (unrealistic at that) and get frustrated and quit before they give the learning curve time to sort out (it can be steep even with help from folks that know what they doing). I started with a couple Dispensary Clones and still almost killed them even though they were established plants, also found out my growing cabinet wasn't big enough and a few other problems that felt like 800 problems ;) :rofl: . They will put up with a lot and IMHO folks get into more trouble changing the variables multiple times chasing minor or imaginary issues, and if they had just left that plant alone and let it do it's thing they would have had better results than it trying to adjust to something different every week or every few days.

first grow
-overwatered, got fungus gnats
-underwatered to try to get rid of fungus gnats
-used a bunch if organic pesticides to try to get rid of fungus gnats
underfed the plants like crazy because was -worried about overfeeding the plant
was worried about light stress so kept my -light 35” above the whole time ( wrong)
during flowering
-returned 3 led lights before realizing what was good and what i needed for my space
and had to talk to a amazon rep the third time to explain why i was returning again

this was flowering first grow 2 plants
at first day or week 6 flower i vegged them 60 days
i ended up with around 3.5 total ozs off of both plants

372EEE25-F4C3-4352-A314-FEC5B5DE6413.jpeg

and this is what im doing now second grow at day 14 flower, and i vegged the big one 75 days ( the smaller one was grown with a 75 watt light and thrown into the ten as an afterthought)
same tent, same light with some uv thrown in and a different fan

D1B0CAEC-EE96-411B-A0A8-30D3319CE1F8.jpeg

not everything went right so far to now either, but i learned quite a bit from the first grow and am learning alot from this grow. i also collected pretty much everything i will need for multiple grows in this tent and my lights are all set for the tent for the future too

im still battling the fungus gnats, kinda just gave up and just use a bunch of BT which i feel is controlling it but theyre still there
i started in october

First grow back in spring of 1986 I strapped plants to moving dollies outside in case po po came I could roll them out in the back ally. I also used street lamps for flower lights. Through the years I think I dealt with every bug and mold there is. Hail storms wiped out my crops. Snow and frost wiped out my crops. Had deer eat my plants and I have had all that Weaselcracker said happen to me as well. Exploding light bulbs really sucked when in the room when it happens. Oh can not forget power outages! Every year still something happens. Just now I know how to deal with most problems real fast. Last years outdoor was all killed by a six day frost. Nice tread take care
:passitleft:

It's cool that you guys share your stories for the new and up and coming growers. Some of us feel overwhelmed and to know there are people that have come before us and went through the same problems. Did anyone smoke their first crop?

Hmm let me think....
Mold, overfed plants, underfed plants, dried out plants, overwatered plants, busted fans, venting issues, smell issues, timer issues, bulb issues, ballast issues, humidity issues, spider mites, timers catching on fire, extension cords melting, busted exploded and melted HID bulbs, police raids, more police raids, extreme paranoia... more mold. All this and more. But after the first few years it started getting better.

Edit- Also- hermies. Lots and lots of hermies and seeds. Male plants seeding everything. Deer. Disputes with psychotic grow partner. And LOTS of ph problems.
The reason I laughed is I've went through a lot of the same thing, except the raids lol and no bugs yet but I'm sure that's coming. Did you smoke tour first grow?

It's cool that you guys share your stories for the new and up and coming growers. Some of us feel overwhelmed and to know there are people that have come before us and went through the same problems. Did anyone smoke their first crop?
I smoked my first crop ( train wreck by Crop King). It was smoke but I thought it was amazing. Nothing to compare with growing your own, especially that first crop.
What I remember from it was the indecision and worry. Wanting to do something when nothing needed to be done.

Started my first home grow like many in Nov. of last year. Guess I was one of the lucky ones because it came off with no real hitch. After losing one of the four plants, the remaining three went on to produce 237 grams of dry bud. Smokable, yes but it is in jars curing and a real taste test is a few weeks away. To be honest I have some experience from many years back but still super pleased with my first crack at it since legal.

It wasn't a lot but it came out pretty good I thought, got either side of a 1/2 oz off of each Clone I bought at Dispensary, so not bad for growing in a cabinet:

That was a couple years ago (guess coming up on three this summer actually), still learning and evolving ;) fixed up my shed and in a bigger space now though still use my cabinets for seedlings/clones/smaller plants. Four ladies I currently have in Flower, they not quite ready yet:

My first grow was three jack herer autos. I didn't get pests, but I did have crazy temps, and my very first girl had nitrogen toxicity. The plants themselves didn't produce much, but it was fun. I am pretty sure the genetics I bought pretty much plain old sucked. I since got way better genetics, and am having a blast.

The reason I laughed is I've went through a lot of the same thing, except the raids lol and no bugs yet but I'm sure that's coming. Did you smoke tour first grow?

I laugh about that stuff too, after. Most of it anyway! My first real grow was outdoors, in terrible weather, and I ended up with a garbage bag of something that was like only one notch up the scale from smoking leaves. But I was very happy with it. I did a whole pile of indoor grows after that- years of it. It was disaster after disaster and the growing was often super stressful but I was always happy to harvest and smoke my own. The bud was all low grade or mediocre in hindsight but I loved it anyway.

Hi guys, this is about my first grow, summer of 67 a outside grow I was 17 and had gotten my draft card recently and since college was out of my the price range and Canada a distance dream at best. My dad gave me a few options, go back to school and graduate, go to work full time,or go in the service before i get drafted. I decided on the Navy, good chow and the VC dident have much of a navy. sorry I got sidetracked. We aqured the seeds from a friends older bro and by the end of August we had a pretty good grow( dumb luck )I guess we didn’t even know what ph was back then. We watered from a stream close to the grow. The weekend before I was taken to boot camp we harvested the crop and gathered around the fire and got good and toasted so that I would look and feel my best for Uncle Sam tomorrow, I got to the induction center and after all the poking and prodding we were handed a test it was one of those tests where u have a,b,c or d 100 questions in a certain time. I heard some one in line say pick c for all the answers so I did.... I scored a 98 ??? How’d that happen IDK but after boot and a and b schools I was a certified parachute rigger 3 class assigned to a Marine helicopter squadron being deployed to nam, if thay only knew ha,ha,ha a stoner had packed there shutes.

Back
Top Bottom