First timer, random bag seed now in flower, nutes?

You are welcome! Yes, later in flower with reduced nitrogen the plant begins taking stored nitrogen from lower fan leaves for new growth. The leaves visible in the photographs have a good nitrogen rich appearance. Perhaps telephone or email the Home Garden Contact Us - For Product Enquiries & Suggestions to check if the also have a compatible phosphorous product safe for use with the PowerFeed PRO SERIES Plant Food All in One Hydroponic product.

I did read that some yellowing of older bottom fan leaves is normal as you enter the second half of flowing stage. Given the rest of the plant seems fine, I am reluctant to change anything.
Pretty darn good looking plant for a first time.

It is normal to see some of the leaves starting to turn yellow towards the end. It is especially normal to see this happening in plants grown in containers. There is only so much soil in the container and plants in flower demand more than most of the limited amounts of soil and soil micro-organisms can produce. We, as the growers tend to accept the loss of these fan leaves to be normal consequence of the limited amount of soils, etc. There is a good chance that many more of the fan leaves will yellow and fall off as the buds swell up and ripen

If the plant is grown in the ground with decent soil and good amount of naturally occurring nutrients and proper watering then is is not as normal to see an eventual loss of all the fan leaves in the canopy.

Plan ahead for next season if you are thinking of planting again. Read up on the basic nutrients and how they help the plant stay healthy.

Getting closer. And as a first timer with only one plant is this testing my patience
DD456203-3370-4F0D-9BA7-47A4F7E39FFC.jpeg

Hazard a guess how long left to go until harvest? Input some trichome pics but not the best quality.
B8C970FE-BAD7-4E13-9BA6-77ED6DF727A6.jpeg
A3D5FF77-F2E7-435A-8124-791E2B24A18C.jpeg
76140CA3-5AE1-4202-9C7D-1C4BAF74ADFE.jpeg
A0D3746B-69CC-4937-B1B6-E41ADAD3DF41.jpeg
DFF663D3-911C-4C61-BAAD-8677E87B6B79.jpeg
EFC4733E-F282-4A84-B707-DF8BFA1277CD.jpeg

2CFB671B-8EA7-4DA9-AD01-A09DDA68091C.jpeg

BCF65F19-C3AF-4D0A-9756-6E7F4A310B00.jpeg

That’s a good looking sativa. Your doing a great job. That plant has 4-5 weeks before you need to exam trichomes. All those white pistils will turn brown and die back and the calyxes will swell to the point that you can see each one individually. The calyxes will seem to swallow those pistils.

Very nice looking plant, great job! I think everyone is on point. This can be the hardest part of the grow, not for the plant, for you! At least 4 weeks probably more, but the wait is worth it. You don’t want to pull early and think “if only I waited.
Thanks Guys, I’m really enjoying the grow to be honest. I work in an office so having a little side project out in the garden is quite rewarding even before I sample.

Where I’ve kept her is the side of my house that nobody can see and it’s a blocked access to the front, also my elevated bamboo deck wall is on one side and a side 8’ foot fence the other. Yet still is on the perfect angle to get 7-8 hours of direct northern sunlight as it traveled front to back of the plant during the day. So inconspicuous! Yet easy access and full of light. I’m in the Southern Hemisphere in a sub-tropical environment. Only problem is humidity. It averages around 60-80% RH here. I check the plant twice daily and just the other day noticed the beginning of mould induced bud rot in a very small lower bud. Immediately removed it. Can’t see signs of it anywhere else.

Only problem is we have 10 days of rain/cloud forecast. Maybe a little morning sun.

I have her on the sheltered side of the house from the direction of rain and under the eaves, directly overhead so can avoid direct rain. She gets a nice sea breeze fairly consistently.

Can I do anything more to avoid mould?

Getting closer. And as a first timer with only one plant is this testing my patience
Patience, patience. If it helps think of it this way. You will be harvesting about the time some of us in the Northern Hemisphere still have a week or three before our outside soil gets warm enough to plant in.

4-5 weeks! Damn, looks like I'll have to buy myself another bag to see me through lol. Thanks for the advice mate :)
Use this time as an opportunity to watch how the plant grows. About the time you think it is ready light up something from the bag or two you bought yourself because you still have two or three more weeks to go.

When you think it has stopped growing watch for another day or two and notice that the trichomes look like they are getting larger and turning a milky color.

Keep watching and the buds start to get bigger, not taller, just look bigger before your eyes.

Nice looking outdoor plant, let it do its thing. Remember it is doing all this to show its appreciation for all you have done for it.

@NuggetJuggler Good job... Those buds are looking very nice!

I'm in a tropical area and I'm very familiar with mold, and still learning the best ways to deal with it, and looking for strains that are the most mold-resistant. I've got 6 plants in flower right now, and they've been fairly hard hit with mold, and still have at least a couple weeks to go. In general, I've had less of a problem with mold with sativa-leaning plants. The thing with mold is that, if you don't deal with it, you could literally lose all your buds. It sneaks up. By keeping a close eye on things, you can avert disaster.

We have a lot of rain where I am, and all my growing is done inside of a greenhouse. Plants that aren't wet all the time are obviously going to be less susceptible to mold. The other main reason I'm doing the greenhouse is to provide photoperiod lighting to control flowering.

If you could find a piece of clear plastic roofing you could rig up something, or plexiglass, or even an old window (although glass isn't the greatest), or you could maybe get a mini pop-up as zigzagman suggested. Or you could take your chances, keeping an eye on the situation.

I recommending checking every day for mold, especially for spots on the underside of the leaves. Also check for white powdery mildew. On my plants, the mold appears as dark grey-brown spots on the underside of the leaves. The top side of the leaf above these spots will have discoloration, so that's another way to detect mold. I pluck or clip off any leaves that are showing this. I also spray the whole plant with hydrogen peroxide solution.

Since you've already seen bud rot, I recommend spraying (mist) with a solution of hydrogen peroxide (3%, drugstore): 6 fl oz (12 TBS) peroxide mixed in 1/2 gal. distilled water. Purified or clean filtered water is OK. I recommend a pump sprayer like this one. Spray the whole plant, top and undersides of leaves, everything. I have really seen no downside to spraying with this stuff, and you can do it every day, or every other day, or as needed – whatever you think is best. The best time to spray is probably in the morning.

The peroxide idea is a quick solution; however, there are systemic ways to treat for mold. One method is to make aerated worm compost tea, and then use it as a foliar spray. This introduces beneficial microbes to the leaf surface to help keep the mold away (it probably also changes the pH of the leaf surface). Another method is to make a lactic acid bacterium serum (LAB) and use that as a foliar spray – I'm just learning about this one.

In situations where mold is a problem, keep in mind that mold likes to get started on dead material. So, as the stigmas (white hairs) turn brown, this means dead material is developing – dead stigmas. This is an invitation for mold to start growing on the dead stigmas. I sometimes harvest early (depends on the season) when I see 1/4 to 1/2 of the stigmas have turned brown. At this point, I'll often see only the beginning of trichomes turning milky. This is not an optimum time to harvest; however, if it means avoiding bud rot, it's an option to consider.

good luck!

@NuggetJuggler Good job... Those buds are looking very nice!

I'm in a tropical area and I'm very familiar with mold, and still learning the best ways to deal with it, and looking for strains that are the most mold-resistant. I've got 6 plants in flower right now, and they've been fairly hard hit with mold, and still have at least a couple weeks to go. In general, I've had less of a problem with mold with sativa-leaning plants. The thing with mold is that, if you don't deal with it, you could literally lose all your buds. It sneaks up. By keeping a close eye on things, you can avert disaster.

We have a lot of rain where I am, and all my growing is done inside of a greenhouse. Plants that aren't wet all the time are obviously going to be less susceptible to mold. The other main reason I'm doing the greenhouse is to provide photoperiod lighting to control flowering.

If you could find a piece of clear plastic roofing you could rig up something, or plexiglass, or even an old window (although glass isn't the greatest), or you could maybe get a mini pop-up as zigzagman suggested. Or you could take your chances, keeping an eye on the situation.

I recommending checking every day for mold, especially for spots on the underside of the leaves. Also check for white powdery mildew. On my plants, the mold appears as dark grey-brown spots on the underside of the leaves. The top side of the leaf above these spots will have discoloration, so that's another way to detect mold. I pluck or clip off any leaves that are showing this. I also spray the whole plant with hydrogen peroxide solution.

Since you've already seen bud rot, I recommend spraying (mist) with a solution of hydrogen peroxide (3%, drugstore): 6 fl oz (12 TBS) peroxide mixed in 1/2 gal. distilled water. Purified or clean filtered water is OK. I recommend a pump sprayer like this one. Spray the whole plant, top and undersides of leaves, everything. I have really seen no downside to spraying with this stuff, and you can do it every day, or every other day, or as needed – whatever you think is best. The best time to spray is probably in the morning.

The peroxide idea is a quick solution; however, there are systemic ways to treat for mold. One method is to make aerated worm compost tea, and then use it as a foliar spray. This introduces beneficial microbes to the leaf surface to help keep the mold away (it probably also changes the pH of the leaf surface). Another method is to make a lactic acid bacterium serum (LAB) and use that as a foliar spray – I'm just learning about this one.

In situations where mold is a problem, keep in mind that mold likes to get started on dead material. So, as the stigmas (white hairs) turn brown, this means dead material is developing – dead stigmas. This is an invitation for mold to start growing on the dead stigmas. I sometimes harvest early (depends on the season) when I see 1/4 to 1/2 of the stigmas have turned brown. At this point, I'll often see only the beginning of trichomes turning milky. This is not an optimum time to harvest; however, if it means avoiding bud rot, it's an option to consider.

good luck!
@cbdhemp808 That’s some great advice there. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated

By the way not bagseed. The seed my mate originally gave me, was given to him by a grower in Northern NSW - sort of cannabis central here in Australia. So maybe the genetics were good and not quite the random 'bagseed' outcome I had originally thought

Nice! How tall is the plant?
It’s just over 3ft from where the trunk meets the soil to the top of the tallest cola. About 4ft from the base of the pot. I imagine it probably could have grown taller in veg but I started a little late in the season and kept her in a smaller pot before transplanting her at the beg of flower. Also topped her a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom