FiveToMidnight's First Grow - Coco/Perlite - NL - MarsHydro 300W LED - 2015

Here are some pics from today.
Looking quite a lot better than when I posted the last pics I think. Still have a bit of yellowing but it appears to be clearing up. The vast majority of the leaves look nice, standing up and a nice green colour. Let me know your thoughts!

PA102354.JPG
PA102355.JPG
PA102356.JPG
PA102357.JPG
PA102358.JPG

Very impressive my man! When do you anticipate switching to bloom lighting schedule? I'm guessing they are both nearly a foot tall now and with only 4 total feet to grow in, you'll be dealing with height restrictions in no time. I'd like to see a pic of where the branches grow out of the main stem to help confirm their gender, but if they're from fem seeds, they'll likely sex as intended. Other than that, I think you should consider flowering them very soon. My suggestion is to stick with the increased Micro feed for a week to stabilize the N, but then revert back to a 1-1 ratio for transition and set the lights to 12/12 for the transition. After about a week to 10 days in equal parts and 12/12, begin to nudge up the amount of Flora Bloom as you did with the Micro. The need for P & K will increase as bloom progresses. When I grew with the 3 part, my bloom regimens finished with me giving 0 parts Gro, 3 parts Micro and 6 parts Bloom, plus added bloom boosters. 2 weeks till finish the Micro can be nixed and final week would be nothing but straight RO (or distilled) for flush. Some people also use flushing agents.

Very impressive my man! When do you anticipate switching to bloom lighting schedule? I'm guessing they are both nearly a foot tall now and with only 4 total feet to grow in, you'll be dealing with height restrictions in no time. I'd like to see a pic of where the branches grow out of the main stem to help confirm their gender, but if they're from fem seeds, they'll likely sex as intended. Other than that, I think you should consider flowering them very soon. My suggestion is to stick with the increased Micro feed for a week to stabilize the N, but then revert back to a 1-1 ratio for transition and set the lights to 12/12 for the transition. After about a week to 10 days in equal parts and 12/12, begin to nudge up the amount of Flora Bloom as you did with the Micro. The need for P & K will increase as bloom progresses. When I grew with the 3 part, my bloom regimens finished with me giving 0 parts Gro, 3 parts Micro and 6 parts Bloom, plus added bloom boosters. 2 weeks till finish the Micro can be nixed and final week would be nothing but straight RO (or distilled) for flush. Some people also use flushing agents.

Thanks Skybound! To be honest I was hoping you guys would be able to advise on when best to do that. Your estimations are correct, they are about a foot tall now and yeah I was figuring it would be quite soon. Although I haven't dont any topping or lst which I was anticipating I would be doing by now.
So you think about a week until I switch to flower?

Just found this and was thinking I should maybe try it with my girl. Any thoughts?
How can I train my plants for a lower profile?

Also found this nice little diagram and wondering if I should start trying this with my girls? If so, what node should I be looking to do it at? The conclusion last time this was brought up was to wait but I'm thinking it could help with the space issues before we get in to flower?
I also read that it can be good to top after 6 nodes and go down to 3, what are your guys thoughts on that? Or should I just let this one go and see what it produces without that stuff?

how-to-top-your-marijuana-plant.jpg

My opinion, let it go and learn, but which ever way you go, it's the right decision, cause it's yours bro....

My opinion, let it go and learn, but which ever way you go, it's the right decision, cause it's yours bro....

I think it would have been better to start LST when they were younger as I think I could use the space better that way and maybe top once depending on how it went.
I might leave them for now and learn as you say. Get them in to flower and try and get some sort of yeild from them

The timing is and is not important and really depends on how long you're willing to stretch the process out. LST bending can be done anytime at all. Super Cropping is like breaking the bones without breaking the skin and is obviously a bit more stressful and will require some healing time (recovery). Topping also requires a bit of recovery. Anything that requires recovery should not coincide with transitioning into bloom, so if you want to delve into the higher stress techniques, please do, but also expect to provide time to recover (and they will) before switching to bloom. With cannabis, we can keep them in veg indefinitely and put them into bloom whenever we want so if you want to grow it till it's 3 feet tall, then cut it back to 6 inches, you may do so, but all in all it of course adds to the time when you can harvest your smoke.

I do advise topping and super cropping to gain the experience, but also to note is that because your grow space is so small, you wont need a really strong plant which is what you'd get if you topped the plant in half at a later date. If you snipped off the upper most node right now, it would recover in 3 days if no other problems arise. If other nute or water problems occur, the recovery time for the topping would be a bit longer. That aside though, if you do top now, the 2 branches that will grow out can then be equally tied down as you transition into bloom and successively while in bloom. LST does not stress the plant by a noticeable margin and we all do it almost every grow where space is a factor, otherwise the plant would grow straight up through the light source. So then of course we tie branches down to keep the fan leaves absorbing the light.

The timing is and is not important and really depends on how long you're willing to stretch the process out. LST bending can be done anytime at all. Super Cropping is like breaking the bones without breaking the skin and is obviously a bit more stressful and will require some healing time (recovery). Topping also requires a bit of recovery. Anything that requires recovery should not coincide with transitioning into bloom, so if you want to delve into the higher stress techniques, please do, but also expect to provide time to recover (and they will) before switching to bloom. With cannabis, we can keep them in veg indefinitely and put them into bloom whenever we want so if you want to grow it till it's 3 feet tall, then cut it back to 6 inches, you may do so, but all in all it of course adds to the time when you can harvest your smoke.

I do advise topping and super cropping to gain the experience, but also to note is that because your grow space is so small, you wont need a really strong plant which is what you'd get if you topped the plant in half at a later date. If you snipped off the upper most node right now, it would recover in 3 days if no other problems arise. If other nute or water problems occur, the recovery time for the topping would be a bit longer. That aside though, if you do top now, the 2 branches that will grow out can then be equally tied down as you transition into bloom and successively while in bloom. LST does not stress the plant by a noticeable margin and we all do it almost every grow where space is a factor, otherwise the plant would grow straight up through the light source. So then of course we tie branches down to keep the fan leaves absorbing the light.

I might try a little LST and not top until next grow. Thanks for your thoughts.
How would you LST these girls? Would you just tie the tops down or other bits as well?

[video=youtube;PUXMBcsAFgw]
[/video]

Also, I'd like to share this little nugget about bud washing (when you get that far down the road). But also, when I go back to my bloom room, you can see all the strings I used to tie branches down to open up the plant and keep it short. This is LST done in late bloom which shows that LST can be done any time you need to.

Here's the thread about bud washing. Read the first few pages at least.
Bud Washing

I'd try to gently hook the side branches and coerce them to grow straight out as opposed to straight up. Each day just snug the tie lines a bit more and try not to let the tie points slip and peel the skin of the branches.

[video=youtube;PUXMBcsAFgw]
[/video]

Also, I'd like to share this little nugget about bud washing (when you get that far down the road). But also, when I go back to my bloom room, you can see all the strings I used to tie branches down to open up the plant and keep it short. This is LST done in late bloom which shows that LST can be done any time you need to.

Here's the thread about bud washing. Read the first few pages at least.
Bud Washing

Thanks mate I'll be sure to go through that.

I'd try to gently hook the side branches and coerce them to grow straight out as opposed to straight up. Each day just snug the tie lines a bit more and try not to let the tie points slip and peel the skin of the branches.

Any chance you have any examples?

Just what was shown in my video. There may also be some pics scattered about in past journals but it kinda boils down to a bit of feel so to speak. Like when you're tugging and you can kind of gauge where the breaking point would be and you only wish to challenge that threshold, not exceed it. Also, when you tie down a branch, it must forever be tied and readjusted because if you ever cut the string, it will revert back to what it wants to do and that is grow nearly straight up.

Light Addict's Quick Guide To Fluxing - Featuring The Original Flux! - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Here is a link to another grower's journal that IMO is the master of LST. His technique involves topping a plant early on, then basically nailing the 2 off shoots down so they grow horizontally. Not exactly what you're doing, but many if not all of the concepts can be adopted and learned from. I am unaware if he still posts on 420, but if so, reach out to him. He will be most pleased to help out like everyone else here. Such a great community!

Just what was shown in my video. There may also be some pics scattered about in past journals but it kinda boils down to a bit of feel so to speak. Like when you're tugging and you can kind of gauge where the breaking point would be and you only wish to challenge that threshold, not exceed it. Also, when you tie down a branch, it must forever be tied and readjusted because if you ever cut the string, it will revert back to what it wants to do and that is grow nearly straight up.

Light Addict's Quick Guide To Fluxing - Featuring The Original Flux! - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Here is a link to another grower's journal that IMO is the master of LST. His technique involves topping a plant early on, then basically nailing the 2 off shoots down so they grow horizontally. Not exactly what you're doing, but many if not all of the concepts can be adopted and learned from. I am unaware if he still posts on 420, but if so, reach out to him. He will be most pleased to help out like everyone else here. Such a great community!

Thanks for that. I figured it would come down to the feel of it. I'll go through all that stuff today and tomorrow and go from there, then I'll post pics of anything I do so you can see any changes

L A is alive and kicking! Lol And yes, still posting away. Master LA. :thumb:

I noticed a few roots through the bottom of the pots today and was thinking maybe I should look at transplanting them in to the next size up. What are your thoughts on that?

Kinda hard to see in this pic but they're there! lol

PA112360.JPG

They're just starting to get to know that pot though. Let them back build in the media a bit

A week before, or two weeks into bloom, but not during as this will interrupt "the stretch". The stretch is when she'll nearly triple in size and make the best gains for flowering sites.

They are looking really good and healthy now 5!

I would pull a plant out of the pot and check the roots myself. Do it just before they need watering so the rootball holds together better. From their size I'd say they need bigger pots and I would top or FIM them to restrict vertical growth and encourage side branching. The way your plants have grown now LST would still work but it's not going to be as effective at this stage. Topping just above the 4th node when the plants are a lot smaller is the usual method to set up for lifelong LST growing.

FIMvsTop.gif

When I transplant and the plant is getting root-bound I use a bread knife to saw the bottom inch or so off the rootball to get rid of all the winding roots. In less than a week there are roots poking out the bottom of the new pot and the plants never seem to miss a beat in their growth. I do this each time and when I cut open the rootball after the plant is done there are fine roots growing all thru the pot from top to bottom. Just like when you top a plant, removing the ends of roots causes them to branch out further up. It's those fine feeder roots that absorb the nutrients not the thick ones. If there are long stringy roots wound around the sides I shave them off as well. I put a pole of some kind in the new pot to tie the plant to for support for the first couple weeks until I'm sure the new roots can support the plant. I jam it thru the existing rootball to the bottom of the new pot and use a twist tie to fasten the plant to it. After first repotting just tilting the pot can cause the plant to tip and rip out new, fine roots that are just getting going.

RootChop.jpg

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom