FiveToMidnight's First Grow - Coco/Perlite - NL - MarsHydro 300W LED - 2015

There are some easy DIY options for masking odors if your strains aren't that pungent. Some strains downright need carbon filtration, others can be masked with Ona gel. I make my own Ona gel with soil moist, water and Ona liquid in a bucket and a fan pulling that air out into the room. This worked well for some odor masking, but you may also try dryer sheets, or even removing a small amount of carbon from your filter so there's less restriction of air flow. Start doing some research as there's a lot of good info out there.

I may have a look in to that as the Northern Lights strain is meant to be low odor.
I did however remove the carbon filter and just left the open ducting but it made the noise worse and didn't seem to be sucking much air. But I will see if the temp drops at all. The bowl of water seems to have risen the humidity by 10% but its wet today so it cause be caused by that

Ok so I found the Lucas Recipe is what I was recommended, just didn't realise it as they never called it that at first.
What is Lucas Formula, and how do I use it?

It states:
Lucas Formula when growing in Coco Coir - Head's Formula
If you're growing in coco, you may need to adjust the Lucas formula slightly to compensate for a property of coco which may result in a calcium or magnesium deficiency. How? You may be able to get by simply by adding 1-2ml of calmag (or MagiCal+), or 1 gram of Epsom salt (any pharmacy carries this), per gallon of water, before feeding the plants.
There is a modified formula specifically for Coco that consists of using a different ratio: 6ml of Flora Micro, and 9ml of Flora Bloom, per gallon of water, along with 1 gram of Epsom salt per water.
Either works, but be sure to try Head's Formula if you're having deficiencies or other nute/pH problems.

I have to halve these measurements as I don't have anything big enough to measure out 1 gallon or 3.7L. So it will be half gallon or 1.85L with 3ml of Micro and 4.5ml of Bloom etc.

What do you guys think?

It mentions being able to start this immediately but diluted. However I was thinking of starting at 150-200 ppm once the second set of true leaves appear.
Any thoughts on that?

I can't say when it comes to ppm because thaats the other thing I don't really keep track of but the rest of that formula looks very good and should head you in the right direction.
I like how it says less micro then bloom because I swear since using coco my plants have been more susceptible to N abundances.
I reckon you should be good with what your planning and someone else can probably help you out with ppm levels

Do you have 1 gal milk jugs Midnight? I use one in the grow room to mix my nutes in that I've used somethin smaller and accurate to put in 250ml each shot and mark the levels as I fill the jug to 4L Darker lines at 500ml marks then even bigger and darker ones every thousand mls. You could do the same the old fashioned way and use pints, quarts, gallons, pecks, bushels etc. :)

I did the same thing with 2L green pop bottles for smaller mixes. Rinse them with a bit of fresh water after using so algae doesn't grow in the left-over nutes. The green bottles block the light that makes that happen.

How big are these plants? 200 is ok for 3 - 5" maybe then 500. And that stuff about using epsom salts is fine but there's no Ca in those. Sulfur tho.

L8r

I can't say when it comes to ppm because thaats the other thing I don't really keep track of but the rest of that formula looks very good and should head you in the right direction.
I like how it says less micro then bloom because I swear since using coco my plants have been more susceptible to N abundances.
I reckon you should be good with what your planning and someone else can probably help you out with ppm levels

It seems to be a pretty tried and tested formula so I'm thinking it should be ok. Thanks heaps for your feedback!

Do you have 1 gal milk jugs Midnight? I use one in the grow room to mix my nutes in that I've used somethin smaller and accurate to put in 250ml each shot and mark the levels as I fill the jug to 4L Darker lines at 500ml marks then even bigger and darker ones every thousand mls. You could do the same the old fashioned way and use pints, quarts, gallons, pecks, bushels etc. :)

I did the same thing with 2L green pop bottles for smaller mixes. Rinse them with a bit of fresh water after using so algae doesn't grow in the left-over nutes. The green bottles block the light that makes that happen.

How big are these plants? 200 is ok for 3 - 5" maybe then 500. And that stuff about using epsom salts is fine but there's no Ca in those. Sulfur tho.

L8r

We don't use gallons here, we're on the metric system. Biggest I've seen is 3L jugs but they're not common, mainly 2L.
Also not sure what pecks or bushels see either lol.

I have two 3L containers that are marked in 10mL increments so I'll be using these. I could always measure out 3.7L into the watering can I guess.

The plants are only about 2-3 inches so far and only have first set of true leaves.

I also have GH CaliMagic so I think I should have all I need

I think you're good to go with the advice given. I've read many good things about the Lucas formula and have wanted to try it myself when I get myself into a suitable space to experiment with other nutes and such. For meting nutes, keep your eyes peeled in the cooking sections of the various stores you shop at. There are always mixing cups and some times you'll even happen upon shot glasses with ml markings on the side. Also when dietary restrictions need to be catered to, you'll also likely find those syringes OMU and I mentioned a few pages back. I know GH also gives their recommended dosage in liters so you should be able to find your way back from there. There are definitely a few Lucas formula threads here on 420 so you can probably find some info how these measurements are expressed in metrics.

I think you're good to go with the advice given. I've read many good things about the Lucas formula and have wanted to try it myself when I get myself into a suitable space to experiment with other nutes and such. For meting nutes, keep your eyes peeled in the cooking sections of the various stores you shop at. There are always mixing cups and some times you'll even happen upon shot glasses with ml markings on the side. Also when dietary restrictions need to be catered to, you'll also likely find those syringes OMU and I mentioned a few pages back. I know GH also gives their recommended dosage in liters so you should be able to find your way back from there. There are definitely a few Lucas formula threads here on 420 so you can probably find some info how these measurements are expressed in metrics.

Thanks for the confidence, it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.
I've got some syringes and can get more at the pharmacy around the corner. I also have a couple of smaller measuring jugs I will use.
I just used google to convert gallons to liters and will just go from there I think. I will mix up a full strength jug and see what the ppm reading is. I figure it will give me a better idea of how to dial it down.

Free app, converter... temps, volume, density, acceleration, pressure, distance etc etc

​Pictures from today, the end of day 4.
I can see the second set of leaves on the first plant starting to form and the other two seem to be coming along nicely. What do you think?

P8242208.JPG
P8242207.JPG
P8242204.JPG
P8242206.JPG
P8242205.JPG

They look good all considered so far. I wish to point out that I notice a bit of stretch in the one plant's stalk so be watchful of that. If it continues before or faster than the foliage is being produced, decrease light height a bit, but leave the light where it is until. Just my 2 pennies.

They look good all considered so far. I wish to point out that I notice a bit of stretch in the one plant's stalk so be watchful of that. If it continues before or faster than the foliage is being produced, decrease light height a bit, but leave the light where it is until. Just my 2 pennies.

Thank you.
I think the one you are referring to is the second girl to be put in the box. I think the stretch happened when it first came through the coco and sprouted. I left it longer than I should have to put it under the light. I don't think it has moved much since though but will keep an eye on it.

Ok so I totally get what OMU has been saying about stuffing around with PH levels, what a bitch! lol I have just spent the last hour flushing all three girls to try and bring the PH down to what it is when I put it in. Each time I test the run off its 0.6 higher than what it is when I test before pouring it in. At this point there are no nutes, just distilled water at 6.0ph.
Even after putting over 1L through each plant and getting 950ml run off it is still testing 6.2
Am I doing something wrong?

Here are some pics also so you can see how they are going at day 9

P8282215.JPG
P8282211.JPG
P8282212.JPG
P8282217.JPG
P8282220.JPG

What you are doing wrong is stressing about the pH. 6.2 is absolutely fine and well within the happy range. Below 5.5 and above 6.6/6.7 over time can lead to concerns. It is ideal to have some degree of swing of pH in both soil and soil-less mediums to allow roots to take up the various elements in their respective pH range. If held to an acidic range, it is difficult to access and uptake the elements that are available higher up in the more alkaline range and vice-a-versa.

What you are doing wrong is stressing about the pH. 6.2 is absolutely fine and well within the happy range. Below 5.5 and above 6.6/6.7 over time can lead to concerns. It is ideal to have some degree of swing of pH in both soil and soil-less mediums to allow roots to take up the various elements in their respective pH range. If held to an acidic range, it is difficult to access and uptake the elements that are available higher up in the more alkaline range and vice-a-versa.

I see what you are saying. I think its because I can see yellowing on the leaves that it worried me. My initial flush reading was 6.8 so I think everything should be ok now.
Thanks for the assurance!

At this stage of growth while the taproot is branching out, the media will have a mind of it's own so to speak. Once the root mass is more developed and begins leaching out elements, you'll be able to better gauge what is happening in the media when also considering what you're seeing in the foliage. They'll start talking to you real soon!

At this stage of growth while the taproot is branching out, the media will have a mind of it's own so to speak. Once the root mass is more developed and begins leaching out elements, you'll be able to better gauge what is happening in the media when also considering what you're seeing in the foliage. They'll start talking to you real soon!

Thanks again for the reassurance. I've read so much about being careful of this and that, that its making me paranoid lol. I just need to chill and see what happens. They seem happy enough so I think we're all good

So my house mate tells me today that he thinks they look a bit "sad" and I can't say I disagree. The look a bit down and droopy.
Ive been keeping a steady watering routine of 3 times a day, Morning-Afternoon-Evening and when I checked the pots they were still quite moist, as was the coco inside but they look down and they all have yellowing on the leaves, especially the oldest two. I have been keeping a steady ph of 6 for the past 5 days but doesn't seem to be helping. I've also been using a air pump and air stone in the water before watering to aerate it as best as possible.
Can anyone suggest anything?

This is day 12

P8312222.JPG
P8312224.JPG
P8312226.JPG
P8312225.JPG

Mate, I'd be watering those girls once every 3-4 days atm, allow them to grow some roots (search for food)

Back
Top Bottom