From Mite Infestation To Healthy Green

scented08

While I am not new to horticulture, I am new to growing my own meds. There are a number of unique principles that apply to growing MMJ, but it's a wonderful learning experience...even for the not so new to growing person.

My current adults have been through the ringer and have finally begun to make it back. Given the fact that they had been nearly destroyed by mites (thanks to the dispensary I picked them up from, I learned how to treat spider mites THE HARD WAY! Lesson learned: Always check your new additions and QUARANTINE them BEFORE adding to your grow room!) In all my years of gardening, I've never experienced mites until now.

So, being they are nearly 6 months old (or more) I figured I would do some testing on them before putting them in hydro.

Variety: Skywalker

As I mentioned, they went through several months of treatment for spider mites. GAWD those things are a PITA! Used horticulture oil spray and a little goes a LONG way. It worked wonders, however it does NOT kill the eggs, so repeat is necessary to gain control of these onerous pests. It doesn't take them but a short time to suck the life right out of your precious plants! I did no topping on the girls...just did all I could do to save these poor dying plants.

Dec 4, 2011 -
So, the plants did a pretty good turn around but had very sparse foliage. As I said, these plants are about 6 plus months old and have been grown in soil. I decided to change them to hydro and knowing that the stress level could cause problems, I simply did it anyway, just to see what they would do. To do this, I removed their pots and gently washed all the soil mixture from their roots, in a 5 gal bucket with room temp water. I used some light weight screen and made a baggie around the root ball and filled it in with a mix of perlite and vermiculite. At that point, I placed them in an ebb and flow system with 1/3 of suggested botanicare grow cycle nutes and buried their root balls in hydroton. I slowly worked the nutes up to about 3/4 strength. They didn't seem to struggle at all, in fact they began growing beautiful new growth and started filling in with dense foliage. I was amazed at the almost immediate change in them. Little immature buds started forming and white hairs are already showing. I was so happy to see new GREEN leaves without browning tips. All of the new growth is lush and green.

These plants have 15 or more tops now, so I cut the main growth out of the top and watched the other tops "catch up" to the main top. They started getting thick growth and looking GREAT! It's pretty funny to see the long woody stem with nothing on it, then this big puff ball of green. Almost looks like I purposely made topiaries out of them.

Dec 15, 2011
Well, these two girls have been through such hell and came back, so I figured I could test out another strategy on them before starting their flowering stage. They have been in hydro now for 1.5 weeks so I'm testing "super cropping" before starting them in flower stage. Today, we damaged all the tops, making sure they all are still well attached and not too far damaged. They still look beautiful! The breakage hasn't even caused any wilting. I have to admit, I broke one yesterday, just to "test it out" first. It was already healing and turning toward the light this AM.

I can certainly tell that this variety is an easy to grow/hardy strain...but with all these two have been through, I'm amazed they actually came back.. Can't wait to see their production!

Dec 19, 2011
Started trying some LST on the fast growing branches. After my test of "super cropping" did so well, I figured I would try out this method as well. Branches are all healed from super cropping, so it's time to tie down and spread out this ball of green.

The current light is a 4 tube T-5 with 2 grow(blue) and 2 flower(red) tubes. Just had to replace my 400 W HP Sodium lamp as it was defective and I'll be placing that over them for the flowering stage.

Dec 27 - Set up 400w HPS lamp today and started flowering. These plants have AMAZING tops now! Changed out all water and nutes - started with half strength of recommended botanicare and will work up to 3/4 - full strength. (Did run 2 days with no nutes and took clones.)

Dec 29 - noticed a few leaves turning brown and crunchy, so I checked PH level. Not quite sure how, but it was clear up to 7, even though I treated it when I changed out the water! So added PH down and have it hovering around 5.9. Cleared all the dying leaves (there weren't too many THANK GOD!) and hopefully the PH change will resolve the dead leaf issue.

dec30-ph-leaf.jpg

Dec 30 - No more newly dead leaves, so it looks like the PH change did the trick. Noticed LOTS of new white hairs. It's only been 3 days...these girls were READY!

dec30-hairs.jpg

Also figured I would measure the plants. They are 42 inches tall today and have been growing nearly a half inch to an inch per day. They are also shorter since tying down branches with LST. Guess I will have to continue more LST for the next 8 or so weeks to keep them from reaching the ceiling.

dec30-skywalker.jpg

I really want to try a few clones from these plants in flower stage. So I'm doing my homework in order to hopefully have a problem free trial. Took several clones prior to flowering and they are doing beautifully, but would like to try them after some of those extra hormones get moving through their veins.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or input. Without feedback we don't learn :)

Looks like you did a great job bringing them back.

It took some time and believe it or not, less than 2 months ago, those babies didn't have but a few leaves up and down a straight stem. The mites had webbing all up and down the stems...it was heart breaking. The only reason I knew they were spider mites was due to the webbing. But now I know what to look for.

Next time try this SNS 217 MITE SPRAY

Works every time. :high-five:
:Namaste:

Thank you :) I'll have to check into that. Those little monsters are horrific! Amazing that such small creatures can destroy a plant in such a short amount of time. Best to be prepared BEFORE they attack.

I picked up a couple more clones from another dispensary, only to find little shiny with black dot creatures on the bottoms of the leaves of one of them as well. They hadn't started their webbing yet, so I'm guessing they were new tenants to the plant. Interesting that only one of the three plants had them and it was the larger of the three. Was able to treat before adding to the grow room and never had a problem. So my lesson was well learned and has helped me since.

Currently in flower I have the two Skywalkers, 1 Super Skunk, 1 AK 47 and 1 Jilly Bean. All 5 are beautiful, but the Skywalkers are the breathtaking additions to the flower room. Guess I'm proud of them ;)

Jan 13, 2012 - After being in flower for 2 weeks and 3 days, I'm very happy with their continued growth. The back plant is measuring in at about 51 inches tall and the front plant is about 49 inches tall. Being on a table over the res, makes them taller than me and they are 31 inches across! They are breath taking really. The stems are over an inch thick at the base. And BUDS EVERYWHERE!!!!

If it isn't one thing it's another. I Ran into an issue with my PH tester giving inaccurate readings, so I should have my new Milwaukee today. It's tough to get things you need when you live in the sticks, without mail order. So have been guestimating (scary thought) on PH down. Our filtered water runs about 7, so I add half a tsp to a gallon of water. After my PH tester arrives, I'll be able to see how well my guestimations have been. I have noted that the plants are very green and appear to be liking the PH level so far.

I took cuttings from the two plants yesterday, to see how well they go back to veg and how well they will grow after being in flower.

Will post more as they grow :)

jan13-buds1.jpg

jan13-buds2.jpg

jan13-skywalker.jpg

Jan 22, 2012 - With about 5 weeks left, these plants are going to run me out of the house lol. Not really, but they are amazing. Took some pics this AM, just to show how well they are doing.

One thing I did notice - we lost power a few days back with a major winter storm. I was nervous as this happened during the middle of the 12 hour lights on schedule. The next morning, maybe my imagination...but there are trichomes EVERYWHERE around each bud. I didn't recall them until later in the grow with my last variety. Those things are sticky and smell like HEAVEN! It's a different scent than I'm familiar with...more of a light piney citrus scent. Smells clean and amazing!

skywalker1-21-12-b.jpg

skywalker1-21-12.jpg

skywalker1-21-12-c.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't step back far enough to capture the whole plant in the image anymore, so after measuring them this AM the back plant is now 54" tall and the front plant is 51" tall both are between 33 and 34 inches across.

Another note I forgot to mention and I'm sure you have seen the red and blue lights in the images. I have 4 LED panels facing upward under the canopy of these plants. They do seem to enjoy them...even the lower buds are doing well.

Didn't get a chance to post last week, but I did take pics last Sunday...

After changing out the res and my 5 week nutes addition, the plants are still doing amazingly well! That little bit of nitrogen stopped the yellowing fan leaves. I just love to sit and watch them in awe!

Here are the Skywalker plants last week.....

1-29-skywalker.jpg

1-29-skywalker2.jpg

1-29-skywalker3.jpg

And here are today's pics.....

Feb 4, 2012 -

skywalker-1.jpg

skywalker-2.jpg

skywalker-3.jpg

skywalker-4.jpg

skywalker-5.jpg

And my smaller AK-47.....

AK-479.jpg

And this beautiful Jilly Bean.....

Jilly-Bean.jpg

Jilly-Bean2.jpg

It has been a while since my last post. Didn't take pics after a certain date cause the yellow leaves - no nitrogen...just didn't look great. But the buds are abundant! 5 plants curing now...and HOLY CRAP...WHAT POTENCY! I didn't know I could grow that potent of pot! Two hits and I'm toasted for the evening! I've never purchased meds this strong! Puts my first grow to shame.

I had talked about taking cuttings from the flowering plants and ended up with 100% success on rooting them. They are taking off and vegging as I type. Still trying to figure out how I had success with flowering cuttings and miserable success with veg stage cuttings - they ALL died but 2. But the answer to that may very well be the rooting gel I used initially. New gel = success! Also put a fish tank heater in my cloner.

So the crops produced about 1.5 lbs of dense and beautiful buds!

Here is approx measure...

10 oz Skywalker - One plant had 2.5 oz and the other had nearly 8 oz.
3 oz Super Skunk - WOW!
5 oz AK 47
6 oz Jilly Bean

Well, we did try the quick dry method just to test out each variety. It's just too tempting to have to wait 4 weeks to "test it out" but hey....No crackling and none of them were harsh and NO FISH FERT TASTE! YUK! Guess my 1.5 weeks of flush worked. Can't wait to try the cured final product!

Still have two jars of fishy bud from my last grow....OHHH MY - MAYBE USE IT IN A TOPICAL if it doesn't stink lol.

Well I have to say, if it hadn't been for my reading through some of the well experienced growers posts...I'd have never been able to do such a great job on my second grow. Thank you to all of you, for posting the wonderful info you have. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that without these forums we'd be blindly testing and ruining good weed!

:thanks:

:420:

Love the pix sounds as you must be doing something right if you were able to get rid of those nasty mites and were able to get a nice amount of production out of a small crop.:goodjob:
:peace:

Back
Top Bottom