Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

This is my 4th grow so I decided to make a journal. Looking forward to learning from the many experienced growers who hang out here. I have learned a LOT from you - thank you all!
I'm also thinking I may be able to help other growers in a similar environment as mine.
It gets hotter than hades here in the summer and into October!

This will be an OUTDOOR grow in my backyard.
Soil = Fox Farms Happy Frog, and Fox Farms Ocean Forest. Blending as I up pot.
7 gallon fabric pots - placed out on my patio.
Nutes will be Fox Farms liquid - Big Bloom throughout, then Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. Also using powdered Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching. Only because I still have these nutes from last year. Seemed to do OK but I'm always open to change.

I'm hoping I end up with at least 4 or 5 plants this year. We shall see if I get that many all the way to harvest in October. Crap, this is gonna take forever. LOL!

I ordered seeds from Expert Seeds, and I gotta say so far I am very pleased with them! I ordered (3) Gorilla SFV OG and got (3) free. Also ordered (3) SFV and got another 3 free. Seeds arrived within 4 days of payment. You read that right - 4 DAYS! I chose these seeds because I am looking for plants that tolerate extreme HEAT! In hindsight I probably should have chosen 2 completely different strains, but there it is. I'll just refer to them as OG or SFV.

I also have some mystery seeds that a buddy gave me. He did not know the strain(s) and did not know how long he has had them. I'll give it a try.

I'm going to start pretty much from the beginning for the sake of anyone just starting out.

This will be fun!

To catch up -
March 10th I decided to try the mystery seeds.
I placed 3 seeds in each glass (about 4 ounces) of filtered water (added 1 capful of hydrogen peroxide).
I placed glasses in the garage but it gets a little chilly, so the next day I placed near my cable box in a cabinet near the TV. Gets about 85˚F on that shelf so plenty warm.
Nothing after 3 days and all seeds still floating so I tossed them. I figured this was a practice run anyway.

March 12th
I placed 2 seeds in each glass of water plus a capful of H2O2. Placed inside my cabinet next to the cable box - it gets warm there. I placed a towel in front to block all light.

March 13th
We have sprouts! 2 of 4 had tails!
The next day - March 14th - all 4 had tails!
I then placed a folded paper towel on a plate. Then placed sprouted seeds on the paper towel and added some of the sprout water - just enough to get the paper towel fully wet. I then placed another folded paper towel on top and wet that as well. Not too wet. No dry paper but no puddle of water underneath. Placed a second plate on top - for darkness - and placed on top of the fridge. Still warm but not as warm as next to my cable box.

March 15th
All 4 seeds look good! Tails were over 1/4 inch so I placed each in a plastic cup.
Soil in cup is 75% FFHF and 25% FFOF well mixed. I saturated the soil first, then made a small hole with my finger - about half inch deep. I placed each seed in a hole and covered with DRY FFHF. I got paranoid that evening and sprayed all 4 lightly with some filtered water.

The next day (March 16th) one has sprouted through the dirt! Later that day another popped up. So I placed a small fluorescent light fixture above the cups and left it on overnight.

March 17th
All 4 are sprouted and showing green!
I moved them to the patio for a few hours to catch some natural rays. This evening I'll move back into the garage overnight.

So now you are all caught up!

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Actually there's more. . .

On March 15th I placed a bunch more mystery seeds in glasses of water. And guess what? Yep - one has sprouted! The tail was already pretty long so today I moved that one into a cup of soil (no paper towel). Will see how she does. I'll leave the others in water for now - no signs of sprouting just yet. I read recently that it can sometimes take 7 days! Wow!

I read a post recently where someone said if they don't sink after 24 hours they are no good. But that did not apply to me at all. All 4 Expert Seeds never sank. They sprouted tails while floating on the surface - never sank.

I'm gonna leave the mystery seeds in water for a few more days and see what else pops up!

Oh, I live in the San Fernando Valley, which is just north of Los Angeles California.
It gets freaky hot here in the summer. I read a post that said don't waste your time growing in this type of heat but I've grown 3 crops now. Perhaps not as good quality as others or indoor growers, but I am happy with it. I don't have much choice. Has to be outdoors. Legal to grow here so. . . .

I'm going to try and grow with minimal or only organic pesticides. Tough outdoors.
I'll use Safer insect soap spray, along with BT during flower to ward off the caterpillars. I may also try some of @InTheShed's citric acid spray for powder mold if it pops up.

I've used Neem oil in the past, but I think it imparts an off taste.

YEAH BOIIIIIIIIIII!

I’m in baby!

(Sorry I’m a bit caffeined up lolll)
Oh yeah it's a party now!
Welcome Trala! Glad to have you aboard!

This is my first journal and I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I'll haunt the place and peep your plant show. Do you name your girls?
Hiya Rhino!
Welcome aboard! I have not named my plants previously - just strain and numbers.
But I might.
Hmmm . . . Sticky Sally? Nasty Nancy? LOL!
Will wait to see how they look when they are of age.

Hey grateful! Mind if I hop in? I’ve been starting my outdoor grow as well. They are still inside just waiting for the time/weather to be right. I’ll be growin with ya till October! I’m farther north in Cali than you. Congrats on the sprouts!

Hey grateful! Mind if I hop in? I’ve been starting my outdoor grow as well. They are still inside just waiting for the time/weather to be right. I’ll be growin with ya till October! I’m farther north in Cali than you. Congrats on the sprouts!
Hiya LED!
Happy to have you along for the ride!
I’m still figuring it out and I’ll take any advice I can get!

So the Express Seeds sprouted right away - within 24 hours in a glass of water. Never sank.
One mystery seed sprouted on 3/16 and I planted in a cup yesterday. My dumbass left the glass in the garage where it was around 60F overnight - with 3 more seeds floating. Today there is another mystery sprout!

Well shit.
I may have lost one of the OG.
*Note to self: do not put seedlings outside to catch some rays until they are more than a few days old.​

Went to check on them and one was leaning over badly. When I picked it up to check it out - she fell over. My heart sank.

Not on my watch, I thought. I immediately applied CPR.
CLEAR!
KACHUNK! (went the electrode thingys on her chest)

Not really.
I just propped her up with some loose dirt - not touching any leaves.

We shall see . . .

The other 3 Express Seeds look good.

The one mystery seed has not pushed up above the dirt yet.
But she has a friend. Another mystery seed sprouted a tail. So I mover her into a cup with some soil. Placed a piece of plastic wrap over the top held in place with a rubber band. Poked a few holes in the top to keep her moist. So to speak.

So 4 above ground in cups, although one of those is wobbly.
2 mystery seeds in cups but not sprouted above dirt yet.

Here is the one who needed CPR

And here are the rest

This morning the 4 sprouts look OK. Not getting any bigger. I've been setting them outside in the sun for only a few hours, but today they will play outside all day, and they will like it or else. Nothing sprouted on the other 2 mystery seeds. They had tails in the cup of water but I'm not sure they will sprout in the soil. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom