Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

Not much happening lately. Just watching the ladies, spraying for bugs, and trying to figure out what is causing them stress. I think I'm going to start PH'ing the water again, and NOT adding CalMag. Will try that for a week or two and see if they perk up a bit.

I'll post a full update with pics tomorrow.

Not much happening lately. Just watching the ladies, spraying for bugs, and trying to figure out what is causing them stress. I think I'm going to start PH'ing the water again, and NOT adding CalMag. Will try that for a week or two and see if they perk up a bit.

I'll post a full update with pics tomorrow.
Hopefully it works out my man someone needs to invent a way to make the plants talk lol

Hopefully it works out my man someone needs to invent a way to make the plants talk lol
My wife mocks me for sitting outside next to them for 15-20 minutes several times per day. They speak to me - I just need to listen better.

Girls are looking a bit droopy today but that is expected. I probably should have watered yesterday, but I'm trying to toughen them up for the coming summer battle. It will be hot and dry and they need to get ready.

Lori and Dawn look the droopiest:

The others look ok except for the leaf damage - mostly down low.

The two Jack girls are in flower. Hoping they go back into veg, otherwise this will get very interesting. I've been moving them a few inches closer to the pool each day - which is giving them more direct sunlight. May not do anything but wth.

Still not sure what is bugging them but I gave water only today (no Calmag), Ph'd down to 5.8. My regular filtered tap water is about 7.1 - which is what they've been getting.

Hope your Sunday is awesome!

Girls are looking a bit droopy today but that is expected. I probably should have watered yesterday, but I'm trying to toughen them up for the coming summer battle. It will be hot and dry and they need to get ready.

Lori and Dawn look the droopiest:

The others look ok except for the leaf damage - mostly down low.

The two Jack girls are in flower. Hoping they go back into veg, otherwise this will get very interesting. I've been moving them a few inches closer to the pool each day - which is giving them more direct sunlight. May not do anything but wth.

Still not sure what is bugging them but I gave water only today (no Calmag), Ph'd down to 5.8. My regular filtered tap water is about 7.1 - which is what they've been getting.

Hope your Sunday is awesome!

Looking good my friend may I ask why 7 and not 10 etc? is it so the roots can grow then up pot again?

Looking good my friend may I ask why 7 and not 10 etc? is it so the roots can grow then up pot again?
The last two grows I went from Solo cup into a 5 gallon pot. Then I learned (here) that it is better to up pot once roots fill the container. So going from Solo cup, to one gallon pot, then a few weeks later moving to the final pot
(7 gallon fabric) will allow roots ample room to grow while precisely controlling the amount of water / nutes.
I think.

Some folks go really big - especially outdoors - and use 10 or 25 gallon pots (or larger). I'm not quite ready for that. Thought I would try 7 gallon pots and see how that goes. If I see a huge increase in yield - cool!
If not, I may go back to 5 gallon next year. We'll see how this goes.

I'm just having fun growing weeds in the back yard.

The last two grows I went from Solo cup into a 5 gallon pot. Then I learned (here) that it is better to up pot once roots fill the container. So going from Solo cup, to one gallon pot, then a few weeks later moving to the final pot
(7 gallon fabric) will allow roots ample room to grow while precisely controlling the amount of water / nutes.
I think.

Some folks go really big - especially outdoors - and use 10 or 25 gallon pots (or larger). I'm not quite ready for that. Thought I would try 7 gallon pots and see how that goes. If I see a huge increase in yield - cool!
If not, I may go back to 5 gallon next year. We'll see how this goes.

I'm just having fun growing weeds in the back yard.
Cool makes sense when Grand Daddy gets bigger in a few weeks going to put her in a 10 gal. I only have one lol so the death Bubba is hopefully staggered enough from my auto so I can transplant it into a 5 gal if not I guess I’ll buy some more containers.

Just trying to figure out a plan now since my plants were brought inside Julia decided to plant a bunch of random stuff where they were sitting outdoors lol maybe that means she’s finally going to give and let me get a tent but that also brings other problems that I’ll figure out tomorrow.

7 gallons outside:

That's a Jack Herer, 40" from the soil.

I consistently get 8-11 ounces from 7 gallon pots. 10s are too big if you have to move them wet.
Dude. You are my idol.
That plant right there is what I am shooting for. Well pruned, minimal larf. All her energy goes to making buds.

I was going to prune the two Jacks, but then they went into flower. I'm thinking still early enough to remove some larf? Hoping they go back to veg; if not, they will grow wonky buds all summer long.

I was going to prune the two Jacks, but then they went into flower. I'm thinking still early enough to remove some larf? Hoping they go back to veg; if not, they will grow wonky buds all summer long.
Assuming they reveg I would trim in mid June and delarf in late July or early August (depending on when you see pistils).
Hold up. Is that the mother of these two? No wonder they went into flower - following mama!
This is the mother but I flip all my plants using light deprivation. I haven't flowered outside with the sun since 2019.

I gave water only on the 22nd. Adjusted PH to 5.8. Which I have not been doing this grow. I also did not add cal mag this time. Yesterday the plants looked great - upper leaves reaching for our star.
Today they were a little droopy, which tells me definitely time for the bigger pots. All of the roots looked great! The one gallon pots were filled out nicely but not too packed.

Holy moley that took more effort than I preferred.
I rinsed some perlite using a pool skimmer. Not sure what @Trala calls them but in the US it is a skimmer.

I then put down a tarp and mixed half Ocean Forest and half Happy Frog, along with the rinsed perlite.

I did not have enough soil for the other 3 so will need to grab some more.
Some settling of contents may have occurred.

Now I’m hot and sweaty and the pool is looking really good right about now.

Nearby there are several dwarf fruit trees - a peach and nectarine. Yesterday there were 5-6 good looking nectarines. This morning - NONE. The neighborhood possum must have found them. Still have a bunch of peaches but that little bastard is probably eyeballing them as well.

That little bastard loves the strawberries and tomatoes too, so we plant extra for him.
I like having the possum around - he eats bad bugs and ticks. But c'mon dude. Leave me some goodies.

Back
Top Bottom