Green Crack Under Light Manipulation

Wow, sorry I have been falling back on my updates. Week 7-8 flower

Green Crack is still on auto pilot and building bud. I have to say, I am quite amazing at the results for a 100 watt light. Since this grow is down to it's last couple of weeks; the LED that I have been using for this experiment is no longer a sponsors, so I'm not going to mention the name.

I now have two journals going that I can only provide limited information, due to sponsorship. Go figure? So, I will provide as much details as I can.

I reduced the LED output down to 90% to try an emulate falls shorter and less intense sunlight. IDK , we'll see.
I will be running this experiment a few times to get a consensus of the result.

That's all folks.

Stay safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Sorry, I kind of fell behind on this one also.

Pretty much nothing has changed, she is fattening up nicely, and has about another two week or so to go.
She is currently at week 9 of flower, and still filling out.
Overall, the Green Crack has been a light feeder due to the size light I choose to run this experiment. I plan on doing light manipulation again a little later in the year; because I have seen positive results.

The Green Crack is so stick, just touching one bud make my finger stick together, and she smell is powerful yet pleasant floral scent. Here are some images from the last week +.

That's all folks.

Tok..

Time to update this one also.

The Green Crack as usual was a ridiculously easy to grow. She around her two week window before harvest. Trichomes are still predominately clear with just a couple cloudy ones. I would give this grow an A, due to all the playing I did with her and she responded well. The yield is a lot less than I am used to, but I am still happy with that the 100w LED produced.

I don't know if there is still an interest in light manipulation, but I will be posting my observations soon, along with some research.

Tok..

Light Manipulation​

The information you are about to read is not necessarily new information or technical. Making adjustment to the amount of light energy a plant receives during flower has a direct correlation to plant development. There are many schedules that all have a different response from the plant.

I will add some of my research to try and help explain what I am doing, and the bottom part will be my observations.

Excerpt from Light-Quality Manipulation to Control Plant Growth and Photomorphogenesis in Greenhouse Horticulture: The State of the Art and the Opportunities of Modern LED Systems (Abstract Mar/21)

“Light quantity (intensity and photoperiod) and quality (spectral composition) affect plant growth and physiology and interact with other environmental parameters and cultivation factors in determining the plant behavior. More than providing the energy for photosynthesis, light also dictates specific signals which regulate plant development, shaping and metabolism, in the complex phenomenon of photomorphogenesis, driven by light colors.

These are perceived even at very low intensity by five classes of specific photoreceptors, which have been characterized in their biochemical features and physiological roles.

Knowledge about plant photomorphogenesis increased dramatically during the last years, also thanks the diffusion of light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which offer several advantages compared to the conventional light sources, such as the possibility to tailor the light spectrum and to regulate the light intensity, depending on the specific requirements of the different crops and development stages.

This knowledge could be profitably applied in greenhouse horticulture to improve production schedules and crop yield and quality. This article presents a brief overview on the effects of light spectrum of artificial lighting on plant growth and photomorphogenesis in vegetable and ornamental crops, and on the state of the art of the research on LEDs in greenhouse horticulture.

Particularly, we analyzed these effects by approaching, when possible, each single-light waveband, as most of the review works available in the literature considers the influence of combined spectra.”

Internet search: Controlling Plants with Light: LEDs to Change Plant Growth

Dr. Kevin M. Folta of the University of Florida, Gainesville, FL

The idea of using different colors of light to control plant growth is not new, but to understand why it works, Folta says we must understand that different adaptions in an organism are the result of different genes being expressed. In much the same way a plant grown in darkness grows long and tall as it tries to find light, the same type of plant will grow differently outside when exposed to light. They are both genetically identical but the genes that control growth are switched on or off in response to light.

This is the basis behind Folta’s research. By using different parts of the spectrum, we give a plant inputs or instructions that result in predictable biochemical events to lead to tangible outcomes that can be controlled. In a way, the plant becomes a machine or hardware and light becomes the software in which we can program this machine.

HOW DO LEDS WORK?

Though the knowledge of using light to control plants is not new, it has only become practical with advances in LED technology. LEDs are made up of semiconducting materials doped with impurities to create a p-n junction, the interface or boundary where two types of semiconductors exist in a single crystal.

As a LED’s color depends on the choice of semiconducting materials, it means that these devices can be specially tuned to interact with the various plant receptors to get a response. We can, for example, either design or buy off the shelf red LEDs that can interact with the phytochrome molecule directly. Previously this was unfeasible as LEDs were expensive and produced very little light – but today, not only are LEDs cheap, and getting more so, but recent advances have also seen an increase in light output.

This ability to produce a lot of light at low cost makes LEDs the ideal device to control and communicate with plants.

According to Folta, this research is of tremendous interest to companies who are seeking to maximize the genetic potential of their crops without the need for chemicals or genetic modification. As many types of crops and growing spaces are amendable to this treatment, there is the potential to convert almost any space to grow crops both efficiently and cheaply and thereby reduce environmental impact.

The technic I am using was originally documented on 420 Magazine by Author: MisterIto back around 2007. I believe he actually ran the experiment himself with positive result. Misterlto even when as far as to suggest trying it for more than a two-week period.

Note: When a plant receives more light than darkness during flower, it will set the plant harvesting time back about a week or so depending on how long the light manipulation schedule is used.

I ran my test on two different plants one I have grown many times and the other is a first-time, I choose a long flower sativa ACE Golden Tiger. The flowering time is normally 14 weeks. The other is Green Crack. Both of the strains are sativa or sativa dominate.

My first test was done on the Golden Tiger; but before I could do this, I had to figure out how to do a 7-day schedule in 5 days on a timer.

21 Hours 36 minutes lights on/ follow by 12 hours of darkness.​

Day 1 – Sunday, 6:00am till Monday, 3:36am

Day 2 – Monday, 3:36pm till Tuesday, 1:12pm

Day 3 – Wednesday, 1:12am till Wednesday, 10:48pm

Day 4 – Thursday, 10:48am till Friday 8:24am

Day 5 – Friday, 8:24pm till Saturday 6:00pm

Well, I never figure out how to do it on a digital timer, and a member on here @rexers suggested a Wi-Fi timer power strip. This was new to me but it was in line with my think. I bought one right away. Down side is I live in a somewhat large brick house and it caused me to have Wi-Fi signal that was too weak where I have my tents setup. Wouldn’t you know it @Rexer came through again, with a Wi-Fi extender that operates threw the electrical lines in a house.

What I did on my original test was to manually set the timer to come on and go off. Since, I am retired military I have time. I did this for two weeks and was truly amazed at the vegetative growth the Golden Tiger had during flower. I did this for 2- two-week period an was amazed at the plant’s response. So, needless to say more research is needed to get a proper evaluation of this process.

On that note; I have a Green Crack growing in my 2x4 veg tent that will be my first guinea pig. I only vegged her for three weeks, and on hindsight maybe I should of veg another week of so.

I placed her under two weeks 21.6/12 schedule and noticed she did not look like she was transiting to flower. I may have not waited long enough, but I placed her back under 12/12 for two weeks and switched her back. She has been on 21.6/12 for three weeks now, and has developed a nice canopy of buds.

Her canopy size is about 2x3 which is mainly, because I used a low watt (100) LED for this first experiment. Even with low wattage LED the change in the plant is undeniable. But, like I said earlier, more experimentation is still needed and with a higher wattage light. I would say that a minimum of 300 wattage is needed to truly see the rapid change is the plant.

I plan on doing one of these grow a year for research. I eventual want to do this in soil also, down the road.

This journal is in no way a conclusive fining; it’s more a book cover that needs to be filled in by everyone trying Light Manipulation. I suggest you do an internet search on some of the titles for more specific information.

As I mentioned earlier more research is needed too truly answer the question of Light Manipulation on cannabis production, but it looks promising.

Stay safe and grow well my friends,

Time to update this one also.

I placed her and the Golden Tiger in 48 hours of darkness, but the Green Crack is starting to cloud up, so she will not be more than 10 days. My guess is 4 to 5 days at most.

Green Crack is not only one of my favorite strain; she is also breeze to grow. Not really much to update on her status except she well be harvested soon.

Some current images.

That's about it, will update again at harvest.

Stay safe, and Grow well my friends,
Tok..

My apologizes, I thought Apogee made a DLI meter. I guess it is just a fancy PAR meter.

edit: spell check
SmartSelect_20230726-105411_Google Play Store.jpg

Have you tried this app seems to work well and has a DLI calculator top left of screen in the info section

Your Green Crack looks very different to mine Tok, demonstrating the big difference between photos and autos I presume

Yes, @Absorber I use the Protone app, along with Dr. Meter Digital Lux Meter.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
I've only recently downloaded that app do you find it pretty accurate compared to your meter , I have a cheap lux meter and the reading was pretty close for me .
Thanks for the reply :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom