Grow 1 - CFL Closet - THC Bomb - Sensi Kush

evilcsd

Alright, hello 420 mag community. I've been inspired by reading all of your grow journals here, I wanted to share my first attempt at growing this plant we all enjoy and benefit so greatly from. First I guess I'll start with all the info.

10/22 I started 5 Sensi Kush and 7 THC BOMB seeds from a popular seed retailer. I germinated using The moistened paper towel and ziploc bag method. The seeds must have been pretty fresh as half had popped within 24 hours, the others within another day or so. The one exception being a single THC bomb seed I let it go for 2 weeks. Dissected and it was a pulp of white paste.

10/24 planted all seeds in straight compost moistened but not soggy, placed in 8oz clear solo cups. I checked periodically for sprouts as I had ziploc bags over the cups to decrease moisture loss. Temp during germination is 78 degrees more or less 24 hours daily. I accomplished this by using cfl bulb warmth at the top of my pantry. Within 72-96 hours all seedlings had broken soil. 90% of them did so with no hubbub. 1 I had to gently remove the seed membrane, that seedling is doing great now. All ziplock were removed as seedlings emerged, I only watered very lightly once the top 1/2 inch of compost had dried. Seedlings spent 7-10 days under 3 26w 6500k CFL's.

11/3 seedlings are being transplanted into their potters And going Into the closet. Ill answer some basic questions about that setup here:

What strain is it? Thc Bomb and Sensi Kush regular seeds

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Thc bomb regulars are sativa dominant 60% I believe??? Sensi Kush Indica dom % unknown

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Currently under 12/12 from about 2 weeks from seed

If in Flower stage... For how long? 3-4 days

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Finished Organic compost from horse manure, plant materials/ scraps etc. mixed 75% with perlite 25%

If soil... What size pot? 15 gallon 3 plants in each potter

Size of light? Currently 8 26w 2700k CFL's and 2 40w 3000k 4ft. Fluoros, expanding up to 24-32 26w within probably 2-3 weeks depending on the girls.

Temp of Room/cab? Lights on 76f-78f/ off 69-70

RH of Room/cab? 38%

PH of media or res? 6.7

Any Pests ? None observed

How often are you watering? As Infrequently as possible, I try to let the top 2 inches start to dry before adding moisture.

Type and strength of ferts used? No nutes added to this point.

11/6 I'll add some photos of the seedlings as of yesterday.

image4996.jpg

image5153.jpg

image5154.jpg

image5155.jpg

One pic here is from earlier when the first few were coming up.

Most of my girls look like the healthy one, leaves straight looking good.

One however is showing signs of over/under watering with the leaves curling down. Feeling the soil close to the root ball confirmed the soil is a pretty wet, not soggy but still wet. I think I may have given too much water after I got them moved from the solo cups to the potters.

One other problem child is the seedling that is showing some curling along the veins of its new growth. This one started showing some of this curling BEFORE being transplanted, and all the others are looking great.

Re: Grow 1: CFL closet THC Bomb/Sensi Kush started 10/22

Yes- you started your journal! Great intro. I don't know about the curling up leaves but someone here will:cheesygrinsmiley::peace:
subbed.

Just had a thought about the twisted leaves. Do you know the ph of the water you use on them? (Reason is I had troubles last grow and found that my tap h2o was ph 8- buffered it down to 7 and cured everything.) Its also possible that its a deficiency- your compost based soil mix might need a few additions- i don't know what but might be worth looking into.
The other girls look very healthy:peace:

Maybe Ill grab another tester and double check it, it reads 6.8 from the tap. I was thinking at first that maybe the compost was lacking something, but like you said the others look pretty good it's only one seedling, and it started showing these signs before I transplanted.

:thanks:

So Ph is 6.7 like I thought, I'm really confused why the one seedling is showing this twisting while the others are looking so good in identical situations. Same strains etc. Can a phenotype exhibit this polar difference in reaction to soil where it's sisters are not showing those signs?

So Ph is 6.7 like I thought, I'm really confused why the one seedling is showing this twisting while the others are looking so good in identical situations. Same strains etc. Can a phenotype exhibit this polar difference in reaction to soil where it's sisters are not showing those signs?

Yes they can- I had a Pineapple bomb who had her first and second true leaves pressed close together (like she was praying) while her 3 sisters were perfect. She did outgrow it though. Your twisted leaf girl may too- just keep an eye on her for anything else like spots and make sure she is drying her feet out good too. I use this reference a lot Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial and it may help you too.
How's the droopy one doing? It might take a few days for her to dry out enough to feel like spreading her wings again.
Happy growing!

I'm really hoping it's just a genetic struggle as I can't find a reason for it. The two drooping kids are still drooping. I'm letting the. Do there thing without any watering for the next few days and just keeping a close watch to look for any other indicators of poor health. I am very excited though that 90% of my seedlings are looking wonderful!!!

I did notice the last two days the nighttime temps dropped to about 63-64f, I know that that will slow root development to some extent, what is the low side temperatures you experienced with specifically the THC bombs you grew last?

I'll check out that link and see if something stands out ;)

P.S. Thanks again for all the help

My thc bombs last grow had temps at nite the same as yours- so you should be alright.
And you're welcome! I had lots of help from people here at 420 when I started growing these plants, and I'm grateful to be able to pay it forward a bit. This website has a unique positive vibe and lots of wonderful people. Won't be long now and you will have lots of visitors to your journal.:thumb:

Hi Evilcsd, Their roots are drowning but not damaged- pot plants like to have dry roots- mine go around 5 days between waterings. And 7 to 10 days when they were tiny like yours. The two with the wet feet won't grow till they dry out enough to hold their leaves up again- I overwatered my first batch of plants and it took well over a week of drying out before they started growing again. Just don't feed or water them and they should be fine.:thumb::peace:

Cool! I just mentioned your girl with the folded leaves on my journal so hopefully you will get more ideas about what she has going on.

Hello. :ciao:

Just my opinion here, but I think the soil may be 'hot'. My first reaction was pH, but then I re-read the 'horse manure' comment and thought that was it.

Did you make the medium yourself o was it purchased? If bought what is the NPK values?

Your 'healthy' girls look a little dark for unfertilized seedlings. Thats another hint that led me towards the compost. :bitingnails:

I'm subbed, yeah I've had seedlings die from hot soil, once they make it out of the seedling stage, it's harder to kill a plant. I'll be here if you have any more questions, and I hope they turn around. As for when you should water, you can stick your finger in the soil to determine if it's dry, or you can lift the pots when dry, then lift them right after you water, and the weight should help you with when to water.

Back
Top Bottom