Grow area build plan

BrokrnEyes

OK so here is my grow area build plan, I haven't built it yet but I am getting the supplies together.

Cabinet:
Material: chloroplast
dimensions: 36 L X 17 W X 36 H include flaps to close box
36 L X 16 w divider flap
Note about the dimensions: I'm not doing this by myself and my partner is insisting that the stated dimensions are acceptable for auto flower where as I think it should be at least 60 inches for breathing room, thoughts?

The "divider flap" as the name implies divides the box and half and will have several openings cut into it to allow for clip on fan mounting and repositioning as well as allow a cross breeze between the two sides.

The interior of the box will be lined with mylar and will have 2 16.4 feet LED grow lights operating in the 60 W range, one a solid Blue the other red/blue 5:1 ratio with both set operating in the Red : 630nm~660nm,Blue:440nm~460nm spectrums. I want to get an orange LED strip but can't find one in the 615nm spectrum yet on Amazon so that may be installed for later grows.

The box will have 4 sets of vent holes, all for such will be on the two side panels at the top and bottom with adjustable flaps to control humidity.

Inside the box will have 2 aero garden LEDS (extra, ultra) each equipped with an additional water tank (increasing its max water cap to 2.2 gal) and air stones for increased oxygenation of water supply.

I plan on having either CO2 pads or going the yeast & sugar water route to generate CO2 for the plants, though I need to do a little bit more research regarding CO2 and the light exposure I should expect the plants will receive in this box.

Based on an earlier experiment I did with cherry tomatoes in my aero garden, I enclosed the tomatoes in a make shift plastic grow tent and was able to achieve relative temperature and humidity in the 80s during the winter, so I'm not really worried about providing enough warmth for the plant, quite the opposite in fact.

Nurs: (can have an oven but doesn't mean jack if you don't have the ingredients!)

Flora nova and bloom
Superthrive Vitamin Solution
Plant revolution- great white
Humboldts Secret Golden Tree - Plant Savio

I plan on really working the great white into the gross sponge before inserting the seed and will also add some to the tank when I see A fair number of rooms below the waterline. Also based on what I say someone do with a similar build, for the first week I'm going to apply the grow formula directly to the sponge.

Finally the strain:
White widow auto flower - 1 plant (again this is based off of what someone did with a similar build, after which he showed the root system to have almost completely taken over the entire tank, so more than one plant is not advised per aero unit). I will only be growing a single plant for May 1 to grow, both because this is my first grow, and also I have a pepper plant seed kit growing in the extra right now.

So guys thoughts? Good? Total teardown and back to the drawing board?

Note: Have to go LED route due to my eyes.

On average ya may need around 18 by 18 but 24 by 24 inch is more suitable if growing a bush style type of plant, 2 at best with those measurements.

You need more head room & may suggest 72 to 80 inch which autos will grow in till they are ready to flower, you only can do lst training with em at best to control height plus safe hanging distance for leds etc.

Check out the Sponsors | 420 MAGAZINE ® there are some pretty cool LED people which support the site & ya may like to look over this section of the forums Grow Lighting

It looks like the 'W' measurement means depth- front-to-back and the 'L' is for width left-to-right?
I would make it higher. I don't use LEDs but you do need some distance (not sure how much in this case) to avoid burning, and of course the pot (and the light itself) takes up height- so you may end up with room for only a 12" plant. Nice to keep the options open. Unless you have reasons to keep it low.
Coroplast sounds like a flimsy and difficult material for working with. Plywood would be easier and stronger. I would skip the Mylar personally and just go with flat white paint, or use white coroplast/plywood.

The pot/tank is 6 inches in height. With the height adjusting bar, the hood can extend to 2 feet in height. Originally I wasn't planning on extending the grow hoods cord past this, but now that I have been looking around more on the forums, it's not an option but a necessity now so I will have to pick up some cord to increase the height as well as a rigging system for when the hood maxes out at 2 feet so that I can lift it up past that point.

The Laura Plast is being supplied by my partner whose company is able to make almost any sized box with this material, but from what you guys are saying it sounds like it just would make more sense to run down to Walmart to get a plywood cabinet? Before I forget the chloroplast according to my partner would be about a quarter of an inch thick, I don't know if they can make it any thicker though.

Hmmmm. Coroplast - the stuff I know anyway, presumably a term for corrugated plastic, is just a plastic version of cardboard. I can sort of imagine a flimsy box being made out of it, but can't see how you would hang lights in it, or expect it to last very long. But maybe the stuff you're taking about is stronger or has a frame built in to it.

I'm a builder, but if I was going to do a cabinet grow I'd definitely scavenge a wooden, metal, or whatever (?) box as a first choice before building one. If you have access to cheap or free furniture I'd check that out first. In my case I check the second hand store and dump for large supplies of cheap or free options.
I don't clearly envision what you have in mind now though, so definitely take this with a grain of salt.

Yeah I've decided not to bother with the chloroplast. You're right, it is the corrugated plastic that you're thinking of, and based on how everyone is reacting to the idea it's obviously not a good one to use for building material.

As for the physical dimensions, the idea is that it would essentially sit on the desk, though even though I am thinking that that's weird to be revised as well. It definitely pays to network with others to figure out the best way to do this sort of thing doesn't.

If I am getting this right the aerogarden LED has a max height of 24 inches. It's doable but tough especially for a first cannabis garden. Really for a first grow it would be best to do soil or soilless mix in pots and get a standard cheap LED like the 130 watt 62 dollar Marshydro. The amount of aggravation you will save is quite a bit and you will have a nice increase in yield over the aerogarden. I applaud your desire to experiment with aerogardens and wraparound LEDs but I would get a few grows under your belt with the standard methods. But to each his or her own. If you are set on this it is doable. I won't say it is impossible because people have succeeded growing cannabis in aerogardens before. But with a standard set up you will have a much easier time learning.

If I am getting this right the aerogarden LED has a max height of 24 inches. It's doable but tough especially for a first cannabis garden. Really for a first grow it would be best to do soil or soilless mix in pots and get a standard cheap LED like the 130 watt 62 dollar Marshydro. The amount of aggravation you will save is quite a bit and you will have a nice increase in yield over the aerogarden. I applaud your desire to experiment with aerogardens and wraparound LEDs but I would get a few grows under your belt with the standard methods. But to each his or her own. If you are set on this it is doable. I won't say it is impossible because people have succeeded growing cannabis in aerogardens before. But with a standard set up you will have a much easier time learning.

Thanks but believe it not I'm more familiar with hydro systems than soil. As my tokens used to say, I learned how to run before how to walk.

You can make a dwc hydro in a Rubbermaid tub that will have a nice 5-6 gallon reservoir. deep water culture is basically what the aerogarden is. 10 dollar tub with pump and airstones added. It will be much easier to deal with day to day pH fluctuations with a larger reservoir.

I'll ditto that. I grow in five gallon dwc buckets. I use four gallons as my solution level. In flower my autos can drink up to a gallon a day. I can't imagine a 2 gallon reservoir. Check my blog BrokrnEyes I did a DIY on a 27 gallon dwc reservoir based on the Capn's writings. You might as well plan to go a little bigger than original...in for a penny in for a pound Granny used to say. :rofl:

How to: Simple Hydroponics

Yes and no. Based on my own experimentations, the fact the aerogarden constantly has The nutrient water running over the gross sponge (and roots) seems to help out give that extra bit of difference between itself and regular DWC. It's more of a DWC/primitive aeroponic system. I'm dabbling with the idea of modifying the water tube the water travels up to deflect off the underside of the grow deck to have a mister turn the water into droplets as opposed to the drip method it has going (although if I do that i'll have to pull the grow deck up much more frequently, so it's not going to be with this girl, likely experiment with it on the tomato plants or something).

Also, Embassy Row the more important thing, space in my place is at a premium so having a 5 gallon Rubbermaid bin, while that would be ideal, isn't exactly practical at this point in time.

I'll ditto that. I grow in five gallon dwc buckets. I use four gallons as my solution level. In flower my autos can drink up to a gallon a day. I can't imagine a 2 gallon reservoir. Check my blog BrokrnEyes I did a DIY on a 27 gallon dwc reservoir based on the Capn's writings. You might as well plan to go a little bigger than original...in for a penny in for a pound Granny used to say. :rofl:

How to: Simple Hydroponics

Oh yes I know that cannabis can be quite the water goes lower plant (Liet Kynes probably would not approve, 5 nerd points for whoever gets that reference) but bare in mind (stated this on the other thread that I started about what I will be using for my grow box), the ultra has a 1.2 gal reserve and I have 2 additional spare tanks that I can hook up to it (I'd have to drill a hole in the grow deck for The two tanks and the bubbler though, i'll only do that if it becomes that much of an issue) which will give me a max cap of 3.2 gal for the plant. I'll definitely be documenting the whole build in my first journal so you guys can see exactly what I come up with.

OK puff it, mods sorry if this is a violation:

Part one:
Aerogarden Led Cannabis Grow - YouTube

Just follow the related videos all the way up to number 10. What he did was essentially a weekly grow journal from the moment the plant started to flower. He shows his entire set up, goes through what he's using, his methods so on so forth. I really recommend watching all 10 videos, which should take about an hour or so.

Edit: also to questions.

1. Events-I'm guessing since no one is commenting on the vents portion of the plan that's a good approach?
2. I'm guessing the selection of nutrients and additives that I posted is also a good combo?

Back
Top Bottom