Grow tent setup - is this right/safe - please help

Jack Dabs

Hi all

I used to be an everyday smoker for about 7 years, then stopped for a few years and now have been taking oil for medicinal and recreation reasons. I am looking to do my first indoor grow and bought a small grow tent 60cmx60cmx150cm. I had a bit of trouble setting it up because the fan and filter are too big for the tent so had to do a workaround.

I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do so.

Basically I now have the fan facing sideways across the tent with ducting running to the filter which I have hung up vertically. The filter is a couple cm from the side of the tent and seems to fit quite snug behind the light. I know I have (usually unnecessary) ducting and bends in it reducing the airflow but the airflow still seems reasonable.

I am using a 250 watt light. I also do not have an incoming air supply but will see if it's necessary to change that as I go along.

So my questions are:

Is this safe having the filter positioned as it is near the light?
Is it likely I will need an incoming air flow with a 250w lamp?

I am growing 2 seeds from 7 Dwarves seed company - Trojan and Goliath and 1 Mazar x White Rhino. My thinking is that they should all fit.

I am happy to set up a journal as I may need some help along the way and I would like to record my progress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well good to have you here on 420 mag. I am going to guess you are saying you have a MH or HPS bulb. If you asking about safety I go by the number one and two rule. If it does not sound or look safe its not. Its better to be safe then sorry. That bulb will catch anything cotton on fire quick. When you can post pic that would really help. yes you might need fresh air in as it is good for plants and cooling. If you can do what I always do is a test. Run it all for a few hours and try to get it dialed in before plants are in. Please post pic and info you need.

Thanks for the welcome such a quick reply.

Here are some pics.

IMG02952-20140325-1022.jpg

This is a pic from underneath

IMG02951-20140325-1020.jpg

IMG02954-20140325-1026.jpg

IMG02950-20140325-1018.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics terrible lighting in my room

I am not too sure about what kind of bulb it is. I have the name though - Sunmaster dual spectrum grow+ Phototonic - hope that helps.

Thanks for the link Cannafan

Yes you will need fresh air and from the pics it looks like your filter will be ok. You can move your fan outside of the tent to make a little more room. Pull the air through the tent. Your tent is small enough that all you will need to do is light block the vents you have. I don't think that you will need an intake fan though let your temps dictate that. I have a 6" fan running at less than 25% cooling a 4x8x7.5 foot tent with two 600 watt HPS in air cooled hoods and passive intake keeps my temp in check just fine. I may have to add a intake fan in the summer but will let the temps dictate that. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your input really appreciate it. Looking really forward to it. Will definitely start a journal and sort out fresh air coming in.
I was playing with the idea of putting the fan outside the tent but it goes from a drone sound to a loud buzz and considering it's next to my bed and I am an insomniac, less than ideal. I will see how big the plants get before making any changes, if I have to rearrange then at least its a good problem to have. For now will just leave it as is and hope for the best. Good luck for your grow, sounds like you have quite a good setup and thanks again.

You can also use a good speed control. Mine doesn't hum and I run it 24/7. My air pump for my feed is louder. But if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom