GROWant Smart 800Watt Osram LED Grow Light

I've ordered a second one , couldn't help myself. These lights are amazing, so easy to program and I really like all the features, having OSRAM chips is a big plus for me and really helps with PAR. 2 of these lights will cover my space very efficiently and should produce some great medicine, thank you GROWant :)

I know the feeling. I'll be starting my journal... Sunday late evening, it looks like. It'll be a 3'x3' space, and I could easily expand the space to 3'x5' (or even a little wider) - and probably would, if I could afford to buy another of the same product that the sponsor graciously provided for me to do the journal with. Multiple light sources have, well, multiple benefits, lol. And, at only ~160 watts consumption each, two of them would easily fit within my lighting electrical "budget" of less than 400 watts (and slightly below my "preferred cap" of 350 watts).

BtW, in case I haven't already sai-- err, typed it, good luck with your GROWant grow!

Here they are this morning, looks like they are reaching for the light. Program is working flawlessly and so far the light is working great. This is a good quality build for a light , solid aluminum heatsink with detached drivers ,really helps keep the Diodes at temperature. 4 years warranty and Osram chips :)

IMG_304519.JPG

Here are some color corrected pictures, I use the white balance on the camera.

I wish everyone whose camera device had that capability would use it when taking pictures of "non-white" lighting. That's just a personal preference, sure. But I have "color issues," lol, as did my father (RiP). Some purplish hues - when everything is tinted that way - it's like "different shades of black, on black." Not quite as bad as that reads, thankfully. But it does cause me some difficulties from time to time. For example, if a person posts a "purple picture" and asks about a plant issue, I miss a lot of detail in the leaves/etc.

So, yeah, personal preference. But one with more reasoning behind it than, say... I prefer brunettes ;) .

I did a spectrometer test at 18 inches , what I would consider for flowering and this is the spectrum I got. All LED's at full power except 740nm is at 20% and 385nm is at 80%. I'd say this spectrum and the manufacturers spectrum are pretty close.

IDK if it would compare, but my last grow had an 18" fluorescent supplemental UV ReptiSun 10.0 bulb, and I was advised to run it part-time. I did... for the first week or two, lol. After that, it was on during the entire lights-on period - and I saw no issues that I could attribute to its use. I have gotten the impression that cannabis is "stronger" (for lack of a better term) than most of us realize... and that the extra UV didn't hurt things a bit. If anything, it probably helped replicate a high-altitude lighting environment. And I've always gotten the impression that cannabis grown under such conditions was a bit more potent.

It's good to see an honest LED seller with accurate specs.

YES! Refreshing, even. I'd prefer it if every product (regardless of the product type) was advertised/listed honestly. Instead of making wild - or at least somewhat overly optimistic - claims about a product, just build a really good one, and then present it honestly. Maybe the seller will lose the occasional sale to someone who is mislea-- err, impressed by some product that is advertised as being a "miracle in a box," but those who've done a thing or two appreciate the honesty for one - and, since it's far less likely that a customer will experience disappointment when they've bought a product that has had its prowess stated in a realistic manner... well, it seems like said customer would be likely to buy more products from the same manufacturer/seller in the future.

BtW, I'd love to have your testing/measuring equipment. Even the FLIR device is both cool and useful, IMHO. I'm not growing in front of a window, lol, but still... Paranoia, peace of mind, and all that. I know the importance of understanding the amount of heat that one's grow produces. I once grew in a ~200-year old farmhouse and made the mistake of doing so on the top floor; first significant snowfall we had, I came home from work to find my roof covered with snow - except for directly above the grow space, which was snow-free :rolleyes3 .

I live in Colorado where it is completely legal to grow , therefore I have no worries and I stay well within the legal limits. I actually have an entire room at my disposal 10x10 for growing. I also own a passport spectrometer and a hydrofarm quantum par meter , helps to get an accurate picture of what the grow and lights are doing to the environment and the plants.

I live in Colorado where it is completely legal to grow

Nice. For that and, well... scenery, lol.

My state is medicinal-use only, so there's still a bit of an "attitude" issue. Which is troubling, because some folks do not wish to place their name onto a government list (regardless of the fact that they'd easily meet the requirements). There are also a lot of poor folks here, and of course many people fall into both "groups," so buying one's cannabis at "boutique" prices is often not possible. My goal these past few years has been to give away far more from my harvests than I consume.

It's like... You see someone that's starving, what are you going to do, lol, offer to sell them a cheeseburger? I used to sell a lot of <COUGH>burgers. Never really gave it a thought. Then I had one of those... IDK, experiences. I just couldn't sell any more. It sort of permanently torpedoed my cannabis-growing budget :icon_roll - but that's okay.

The program for veg I have come on at 6am , it's a preprogrammed light schedule that starts with only 385nm UVA for the first 15 minutes, then adds in the other channels, all but 740nm NIR that won't come on till around noon with just a little bit , then the UV and IR will slowly change places as the IR gets brighter and the UV dimmer , with periodic dimmer periods or (clouds) and flashes of light (lightning) these two things are something that you can choose or not. As the light program goes on towards evening the light slowly gets dimmer and ends with only 740nm NIR for the last bit. All of this adds up to considerable savings over time and with multiple lights even more.

The program for veg I have come on at 6am , it's a preprogrammed light schedule that starts with only 385nm UVA for the first 15 minutes, then adds in the other channels, all but 740nm NIR that won't come on till around noon with just a little bit , then the UV and IR will slowly change places as the IR gets brighter and the UV dimmer , with periodic dimmer periods or (clouds) and flashes of light (lightning) these two things are something that you can choose or not. As the light program goes on towards evening the light slowly gets dimmer and ends with only 740nm NIR for the last bit. All of this adds up to considerable savings over time and with multiple lights even more.
I hope everyone's taking notes out there;)

I hope everyone's taking notes out there;)
Trying to lol are you running specials for 420 members? I had no idea your units were so reasonably priced! Is the unit in this sponsored grow a similar model to the one avalible on amazon?

I have a smaller grow space and I think one of the 400watt would be more applicable to my setup. Could you provide me with a link to your website please?

Far red Emerson effect, this is how the lights go off... 740nm NIR for the last 30 minutes
This is all built into the factory vegetative program of 18/6 with 30 minutes of 385nm UVA to start the day and wake your plants, with the light gradually getting brighter around noon and then dimmer for the last 6 hours and ending with 740nm NIR for 30 minutes to put your plants to sleep. I then also opted to have clouds or brief periods of dim light and lightning or flashes of light randomly happen :) , this light really mimics nature and saves energy while doing so.
20170924_001651.jpg

Hi Max. Great assessment! I'm looking forward to seeing you do what looks to be a swing'n' grow under it!

Do you have any tips for adjusting the white balance - I can access the setting but not sure in what way I should adjust it.

I've been eyeing off the smaller one of these partly because of the great specs and low power draw and operating volume. Not in the budget right now. Oh and yes - it's looks!!. I'm starting my first indoor grow and already bought an older model 300 of another brand. Maybe next year...

Couple of pictures from this morning, light is performing perfect. Saw it turn on today with only 385nm UVA for the first 30 minutes, looked like a black light was on in my room :). Plants are standing at attention and look great.

IMG_306122.JPG
IMG_306222.JPG

Hey MaxPar about how long was this pic after your lights turned on?

Back
Top Bottom