Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

Holy shit you guys started early today and talked a mile a minute! I can tell you I'll be posting pics all along the way. This is going to be the only place I'm journaling the JH!

I vote everyone harvests when they would normally harvest, with the trichomes however they like them. If it makes it easier, when we're all done we can each post our best plant pic and best bud pic (like the contests), to make it so no one has to scroll back through 317 pages to find ones they like.

BTW are we starting at 12am Monday, and if so, whose time zone? ;)

12AM!! Some of us gotta work you know!

How about this: I'm the one in this grow-off that sees the sunrise first, and I have Monday off from work. And no, it's not for this haw! I was going to plant somewhere around 8:00 in the morning when I get up for a coffee. If Shed is in the same time zone as BC, that's 4:00 AM which is pretty unreasonable. I'm not sure what zone Illiz is in. But from one end of Canada to the other end of the attached states is only four hours so just stick the seed in when you get up in the morning. Four hours won't make an appreciable difference and if Shed decides to be an asshole about it I'll even let him keep the plant in the soil an extra four hours. No offence intended, I didn't say you are, that's just in case.

12AM!! Some of us gotta work you know!

How about this: I'm the one in this grow-off that sees the sunrise first, and I have Monday off from work. And no, it's not for this haw! I was going to plant somewhere around 8:00 in the morning when I get up for a coffee. If Shed is in the same time zone as BC, that's 4:00 AM which is pretty unreasonable. I'm not sure what zone Illiz is in. But from one end of Canada to the other end of the attached states is only four hours so just stick the seed in when you get up in the morning. Four hours won't make an appreciable difference and if Shed decides to be an asshole about it I'll even let him keep the plant in the soil an extra four hours. No offence intended, I didn't say you are, that's just in case.

I'm up at midnight (PST) most nights so I'll be the asshole with the 4 hour head start :). Into the bowl this is, not into the soil. I don't expect to be in soil until Monday night or Tuesday depending on the seed's cooperation. Or should I be soaking it tomorrow?

Either way, I'm dependent on the weather (and the bugs are depending on me) so that puts me at a disadvantage in the long run.

I'm up at midnight (PST) most nights so I'll be the asshole with the 4 hour head start :). Into the bowl this is, not into the soil. I don't expect to be in soil until Monday night or Tuesday depending on the seed's cooperation. Or should I be soaking it tomorrow?

Either way, I'm dependent on the weather (and the bugs are depending on me) so that puts me at a disadvantage in the long run.

Soil or hydro or anything in between, there's still the germination period, which will likely be the same. or closely thereto. It's just another thing to observe when placed into their medium at essentially the same time.

Well, this isn't officially a competition anyway, and I personally look on it as a semi-scientific experiment, and if you're interested in even partway playing geneticist, by all means feel free! I'm developing my own pot for this. I plan on doing an ATF x auto this summer to stabilize for my conditions and I'd love to see how something like that comes out!

I like to pretend I know something about breeding haha. I'd like to find the auto versions and stabilize those, but I think using colloidal silver on auto plants is a little trickier because you can't delay them to make sure there's ample pollen being spread. I think the best way to do it would be to plant your reversal set 2 weeks ahead of the set you want to pollinate. Finding the autos versus the photoperiods would be as simple as just keeping it above 12 hours of darkness.

Is anyone else here a seed-planter? I don't mess around with germinating into paper towels or any of that. I scarify the seed with some sand paper and plant it.

I like to pretend I know something about breeding haha. I'd like to find the auto versions and stabilize those, but I think using colloidal silver on auto plants is a little trickier because you can't delay them to make sure there's ample pollen being spread. I think the best way to do it would be to plant your reversal set 2 weeks ahead of the set you want to pollinate. Finding the autos versus the photoperiods would be as simple as just keeping it above 12 hours of darkness.

Is anyone else here a seed-planter? I don't mess around with germinating into paper towels or any of that. I scarify the seed with some sand paper and plant it.

Good point. I'll do it like that. This spring I'll have a greenhouse on the go and I'll run a small space heater out there for an extended season, but I'll still have to wait until fall for the ATF pollen. I'll have a section in there for those.

Holy shit you guys started early today and talked a mile a minute! I can tell you I'll be posting pics all along the way. This is going to be the only place I'm journaling the JH!

I vote everyone harvests when they would normally harvest, with the trichomes however they like them. If it makes it easier, when we're all done we can each post our best plant pic and best bud pic (like the contests), to make it so no one has to scroll back through 317 pages to find ones they like.

BTW are we starting at 12am Monday, and if so, whose time zone? ;)

12 am Monday where ever you live. So I will have a 3 hour headstart on you brother!!!

Now what categories should we come up with??

Prettiest plant regardless of the size?
Biggest Yielder?
Smallest plant/yielder
Biggest Bud
Best training?

I like the idea of a few different categories not associated with the overall winner. I say that because if I happen to get a bean with the crappiest genetics and is the smallest growing plant....I would embrace that if there was a category for smallest plant if I know there is no way of me competing in the overall category. Then the prize for something like the smallest plant would be a gag gift poking fun at the pygmy nature of my plant.

Just trying to brainstorm potential ideas to make it more interesting and fun for everyone. Any ideas or input is greatly appreciate.

Good point. I'll do it like that. This spring I'll have a greenhouse on the go and I'll run a small space heater out there for an extended season, but I'll still have to wait until fall for the ATF pollen. I'll have a section in there for those.

Oh, and yeah, and mine go right from package to soil, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

That sounds like a great way to do it Van, any one of us could fall into any one of those categories. Hell, my germination method is completely off the wall and new to me. My bean could end up drowning in my reservoir LMAO.

Is there a prize for this grow-off or a friendly competition. I had no idea what I was getting into coming here lol.

Gag gifts would be good for a laugh. Makes for another thing to look forward to. If someone were to contact CKS and Greenhouse, do you think they'd pitch in?

I don't know if they would or not.....decent idea though!

Oh, and Guy, I took your advice and only took off 2 buds. And good thing - the wife's bringing me a quarter in a little while. Thanks man, that was close!

See what happens when cooler heads prevail brother!! Good news......and way to go Guy!!

One of my favorite strains and one I always wanted to grow, and I didn't have to buy the seed? Dang, who needs a prize haha

So one thing that might be cool and only cost-prohibitive... A lot of us are in legal states where we can get it analyzed for THC percentage.

Did Greenhouse specify what it averaged in that regard?

I planted the seeds to my Stankberry's directly into the soil. First time I tried it. I have read that process can potentially lead to stronger plants....but who knows. I am not sure which way I will go with....I might go with a soak in a bowl for a few hours and directly into my 7 gallon pot.

That sounds like a great way to do it Van, any one of us could fall into any one of those categories. Hell, my germination method is completely off the wall and new to me. My bean could end up drowning in my reservoir LMAO.

See! And I could come up with something for someone that lays a goose egg!! Fake seeds for them to practice with LOL

Not a single insect reference. How 'bout:

Most species on a single leaf
Most bugs by weight
Highest yield on an infested plant...

You must not have followed my other journal huh? If you had Shed, you would know that bugs are no joking matter with me!

Is there a prize for this grow-off or a friendly competition. I had no idea what I was getting into coming here lol.

Bragging rights LOL.

I don't know....we will come up with something to make it interesting.

I don't know if they would or not.....decent idea though!
Holy crap Van if anybody is going to hit up seedsman it better be you..... Other than them I don't know anybody who categorizes there seeds in alphabetical order LMAO.

One of my favorite strains and one I always wanted to grow, and I didn't have to buy the seed? Dang, who needs a prize haha

So one thing that might be cool and only cost-prohibitive... A lot of us are in legal states where we can get it analyzed for THC percentage.

Did Greenhouse specify what it averaged in that regard?

CKS is rated for 16.25%, probably not grown in a cramped space under CFLs though.

Back
Top Bottom