Growing Efficiently - Questions - First time grower

There should be zero smell outside of the tent if you use a good quality carbon filter.

I've decided on HPS, with that said, I do have a question on the use of a carbon filter after watching a couple setup videos. If you have an intake coming from one port of the grow tent, through an air cooled hood and out the opposite port with an exhaust fan, why is there a need for a filter between port one and the air cooled hood. It seems like it is more so filtering the incoming air.

(intake) Port ----> Carbon Filter -----> Air Cooled Hood ------> Port -----> Fan (exhaust)

If the air from inside the tent is released via the air cooled hood, wouldn't it be:

(intake) Port ----> Air Cooled Hood -----> Carbon Filter ------> Port -----> Fan (exhaust)

Also is this releasing oxygen from the tent and replacing co2 or is this the method you use if planning to use a co2 supplement.

Another way I have seen with makes a little more sense is free hanging carbon filter.

Carbon Filter ------> Air Cooled Hood -----> Port -----> Fan (exhaust)

This seems like a more "sealed" environment, but wouldn't work w/ a CO2 supplement as you will just be pulling it from the air and exhausting it too rapidly.

No. Take your cooltube and a length of duct and connect the 2. Then run duct out of tent. No fans blowing air in.. the carbon filter cleans the air and the travels through the cooltube cooling it 2 birds 1 stone. This way air is exchanged in the tent and plants can breathe.

Flick through my journals i have tent setups in them.

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

There should be zero smell outside of the tent if you use a good quality carbon filter. It be cheaper and better to set up with hps in my opinion.

Agreed - For a new grower who might not catch the green thumb, it seems a little silly to invest a large amount of money into an led system when HPS does the job very well indeed ;)

No. Take your cooltube and a length of duct and connect the 2. Then run duct out of tent. No fans blowing air in.. the carbon filter cleans the air and the travels through the cooltube cooling it 2 birds 1 stone. This way air is exchanged in the tent and plants can breathe.

Flick through my journals i have tent setups in them.

Agreed that this works very well.

Indoors - 600W MH - GSC & Blueberry

LED GSC & Hash plant

What if I don't have a cool tube, I purchased a reflector not a cool tube. :(

71zEpxwPuDL_SL1500_.jpg

Heya, not trying to hijack your thread just trying to avoid the bitching about "why did you make a new post when there is tons of post about this already here." But since you are looking for a similar answer and I didn't see it addressed yet and you have some veterans here already...

Pot size, I know the bigger the pot the bigger of plant you'll get. But my question is why do people start off in small pots or solo cups then transplant 2 or 3 times to bigger pots? From what I read it's to establish a good root system right under the plant and now have the roots reach all the way down to the bottom of a big pot and then start forming their root system down there. I just wanted to get some feedback on that because my funds are slim to none and this time around I plan on doing the solo cup method, but all I have after that is my 4.5 gallon pots or they maybe 5 gallon.....just want to know if that is better than just putting seedlings straight to the bigger pot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thats fine. I go from small pots straight to 20-25litre pots. Its just to get a better root ball going. Theres no need at all to transplant multiple times unless you are doing long outdoor vegging. 5-6 weeks from germination to flower is all you need.

I'm starting with a plug, going to a 5 gallon fabric pot. There was an article I read a while back that suggested pot size based on estimated height.

5 Gallon best suited 3' - 4' plants and 7 Gallon was 4' +

Heya, not trying to hijack your thread just trying to avoid the bitching about "why did you make a new post when there is tons of post about this already here." But since you are looking for a similar answer and I didn't see it addressed yet and you have some veterans here already...

Pot size, I know the bigger the pot the bigger of plant you'll get. But my question is why do people start off in small pots or solo cups then transplant 2 or 3 times to bigger pots? From what I read it's to establish a good root system right under the plant and now have the roots reach all the way down to the bottom of a big pot and then start forming their root system down there. I just wanted to get some feedback on that because my funds are slim to none and this time around I plan on doing the solo cup method, but all I have after that is my 4.5 gallon pots or they maybe 5 gallon.....just want to know if that is better than just putting seedlings straight to the bigger pot.

Why don't you just transplant the plant that's in the smaller pot into the big pot and just reuse the small pot ?

Psalm 104:14

"He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and the herb for the service of Man".

I don't have any smaller pots, this time around I'm using the solo cups as my first small pots. I'm thinking of getting a couple gallon pots or even milk jugs for after the solo cups.

Solo cup > 1 gallon pot > 5 gallon pot.

Why not use solo cup for first 2-3 weeks than plant in final container? That's what I do
Why don't you just transplant the plant that's in the smaller pot into the big pot and just reuse the small pot ?

"He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and the herb for the service of Man".

What if I don't have a cool tube, I purchased a reflector not a cool tube. :(

71zEpxwPuDL_SL1500_.jpg
I got the exact vivosun 600watt mh/hps set up with the winged reflector. Just ordered a cool hood which i highly recommend bro. That reflector releases hot temps. I have to keep my 4x4x6.5 unzipped to kinda control temps

LOUD ONLY

I got the exact vivosun 600watt mh/hps set up with the winged reflector. Just ordered a cool hood which i highly recommend bro. That reflector releases hot temps. I have to keep my 4x4x6.5 unzipped to kinda control temps

LOUD ONLY

I ordered the VivoSun 4x4 tent and VivoSun 1000 watt. I have yet to purchase the ventilation system, because I wanted to fully see what I was working with. My setup will be in the basement, which is fairly cool even in the summer and will be vented out the window. I don't forsee an issue with cooling, I'm just waiting to test out the odor level as I may not need a carbon filter as I have an old duct from the water heater that is not in use and I may be able to use that instead of the window. Growing is legal in #MA and odor control is more for my girlfriend than anything. Tent and Lights should be here today or tomorrow, so I will be getting that up this weekend and now I am converting my homemade grow box to starter box (or something), just not planning to abandon the project, I was having fun.

Back
Top Bottom