Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

I think it’s 43% SiO2 - so only ~20% Si (MM of Si = 14 & MM of O = 8; 14/30 = 46%; 0.46 x 43% = 20%)
So is it only 20% available Si by weight/den? If the powder gets even touched with the moisture it turns out as a clay almost. :D

Been using B’cuzz Silic boost (liquid) lately which is 33% SiO and that stuff then, thats very concentrated… 0.1ml/l (two drops per litre)

Been using B’cuzz Silic boost (liquid) lately which is 33% SiO and that stuff then, thats very concentrated… 0.1ml/l (two drops per litre)
This would also have to be SiO2 - so 33% SiO2 is 0.46 x 33% = 15.2% Si

Had to make more Silica supplement this AM. Changed from Faux-Tekt® formula to FN Silica® formula. What's the difference? FN Silica®, is only half the strength of Faux-Tekt®. Why go with a more diluted formula, you may ask? Well now there is a 1:blushsmile:1:1 ratio when feeding all the FN products (Silica, Micros, Part A, and Part B). Just seemed easier to add equal parts of everything when making up feed rather than having to remember that the Silica component was half as much as everything else.

All the plants need some clean up but I'll probably wait till my off day on Thursday.

I like simplicity and symmetry! 1-1-1-1 works for me!
:thumb:

That’s a dense canopy! Are there leaves down there in the dark - or just branches?

There's some tiny lower branch offshoots that wouldn't amount to much, and they are yellowing due to lack of light. That's some of what I need to clean up Thursday.

Well I got bored at work and I'm being forced to work mandatory overtime, so I spent a bunch of time reverse engineering Greenway Biotech's Micro Green formula. Turns out that it's:

30.3g Iron EDTA
15.1g Zinc EDTA
2.3g Boric Acid
15.1g Manganese EDTA
2.6g Copper EDTA
.1g Sodium Molybdate
102.2g Muriate of Potash
397.5g Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
109.8g Potassium Nitrate

Combine all ingredients in 1 gallon of distilled water.

Now the kicker. Cost to build it yourself is $7.95 a batch. Of course the initial outlay is much greater since you have to buy at least a pound minimum of each ingredient. Greenway charges $26.99 for a batch. Around $19 profit for packing it all up in a nice premeasured bundle. Guess who's loading up the shopping cart? I'll drop around $150 for items not on hand but I'll have enough to mountains of FN Micros®.

Edit, computed cost to make a gallon of each part.

FN Slica® $10.19
FN Micros® $7.95
FN Part A® $10.14
FN Part B® $7.30

So for roughly $35 I can have a gallon of each. Compare that to big label brands and it's roughly 1/5, or 20% of the cost of a Grow, Micro, Bloom plus Silica bundle. If you were buying on a large scale there would definitely be an even bigger margin. There's gold in them there nutes!

So for roughly $35 I can have a gallon of each. Compare that to big label brands and it's roughly 1/5, or 20% of the cost of a Grow, Micro, Bloom plus Silica bundle. If you were buying on a large scale there would definitely be an even bigger margin. There's gold in them there nutes!
You gotta be shhs shhs before too many starts to mix their own blends and Faux-Tekt overthrows the big brands :laugh:
Not to mention that would be cool to see that more people would blend their own nutes.
Commercial ones always including some unneeded or unwanted additions… and some of their mixes doesn’t add up at all.

For example GHE’s old Mineral Magic, nowdays just Silica.
Don’t know what was the Mineral Magic receipe (if different than Silicas), but the current one has 2.4% Fe - GHE recommends 4g/10L dosage. So 4g dose would already supply 9.6ppm of Fe. Add your micro or w.e there Fe ppm’s gets close to toxic amount…

Put together a consolidated list of all 4 products and how much is needed of each salt to make a gallon of finished product.

I included a breakdown of cost, where I bought from, and how much each bag of salts will make.

So I've got $283.83 plus tax in my little science experiment. Damn! Don't tell Mrs. Farside! It costs $32.04, plus tax, to make a batch (4 gallons total, 1 of each product). I can see that I'll run out of Magnesium Nitrate first, then Monoammonium Phosphate. So next time when I order those I'll buy bigger bags and get better pricing. Ammonium Calcium Nitrate will run out about the same time as the Monoammonium Phosphate, but I pick it up local at the hardware store so I don't have to worry about shipping lead times on that.

Each gallon of concentrate will make 378.5 gallons of full strength feed. Nutrient cost works out to 8.5 cents per gallon. I'll probably go through 4 batches of all 4 products in a year.

You can see that some of these micros will last a lifetime. The extreme example is Sodium Molybdate. It will make 4536 gallons of concentrate! Multiply that by how many gallons of feed it will make and it's over 1.7 million gallons! If I feed every 5 days, and feed 8 plants, 2 gallons each, that's 1168 gallons of feed a year. That bag of Sodium Molybdate will last 1470 years. So if anyone decides to embark on this adventure, hit me up and I'll send you some dust. I got way more of it than I'll ever use. That or I'll be bequeathing it in my Will.

Just to jump back into the Si conversation, I'm using monosilicic acid rather than something with Si in it. I started with Stout MSA but DutchPro is cheaper/ml silica. I don't want the potassium from potassium silicate and I don't want the substrate to have to break it down into its component parts before the plant can use it. MSA "...is considered the only bioavailable form of silicon." Source

Houston, I got a problem. The girls that were recently flipped are outgrowing the smaller tent. May have to swap them with the N.A.A.. I haven't gotten to clean them up yet. Had to go into work early yesterday because of a storm. Then today had to replace some valves on a shower and a toilet. Been up 27 hours and only had 3 hours sleep before that. Off to bed for a bit. Maybe I'll do maintenance in the middle of the night if I wake up.

Looking good in here brother !!!!!
Boy we got a close one going for the POTM brother. You've edged ahead here today. My girl has packed on some weight since then, so maybe if not this month, January.

Nice brother yeah I’ve seen that today Ben a super close race I’ll stay tuned on this grow since she looks to becoming a monster!!

Couldn't sleep past 4:30 so I got out of bed at 5:30 and started plant maintenance. Working nights sucks on days off put on the headphones and cranked up some Maiden. Luckily the weed lab is on the opposite end of the house so I didn't disturb the Mrs. 7AM now. Got the big tent done and everyone fed. Brief break before cleaning up the N.A.A. and smaller tent she's moving back into.

I've got some shelves and pictures to hang in the lab later, but I'll wait untill the rest of the family wakes up.

The Pixel does a good job shooting a photo of bottoms and the Tent Chicken down in the shade, but it does make the Foliage look a bit more yellow than it really is.

Back
Top Bottom