HashGirl 2nd Indoor Grow: Girl Scout Cookies & CB Dutch Treat In ProMix

The roots will tell you when to transplant, and which pots you go into will depend on how fast Felonious moves his butt :).

If he's trying to reverse Candida with GA3, he'd be the third this month! I'd advise him to aim lower in the PPM scale, or wait until I have my results in. 180PPM was way too high, so I'll be trying again when my cuttings root with 135PPM, 90PPM, and 45PPM.
Hi Shed,
I'm going with 1g in 10 litres of water. That's what Ed Rosenthal recommends. He (and others) have noted that weaker is better. I have no idea what that is in ppm.
FP.

I will be only be up-potting to 3-gallon pots as five 5-gallon pots are too tight. Also, there is currently 27 inches from the light to the tallest plant and I believe the light can go up at least another 20 inches so 45 to 50 inches will be the most height I'd want them. Felonious said I definitely don't want a long veg period because they would get too tall.

Thank you, Amy. I really appreciate your advice as I know you struggle with some aspects of growing as I do so your advice for me is invaluable. :love:

From seed to now, CBD1, CBD2, CBD3 and GSC1 are all 28 days' old and GSC2 is 24 days' old. Is there a tutorial on topping that I could follow along with? Although, Felonious does know how to top, too so he could show me. I just learn better with graphics so if there was one somewhere on 420, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

So, the process would be:
  1. Top them (all of them?) As per Amy's advice, I won't quadline them as I really don't need more complications when I'm learning.
  2. Once they bounce back from the topping, switch them to veg. (?)
When should I up-pot them to the 3-gallon pots?

On another note, my tent is being upgraded to a 5 x 5 tent. I don't know when exactly but we currently have one 5 x 5 tent and one 3 x 3 tent but Felonious wants to try making seeds and having a separate tent specifically for that would be really helpful so it's his intention to convert the 3 x 3 tent into the seed making tent, buy a new 5 x 5 tent and I will get one of the 5 x 5 tents, which will also mean a light upgrade from what I have now (Mars Pro II Epistar 320 LED).

However, Felonious has to clean out his study first since that's the only place that will fit another tent. It's kind of a mess but he's motivated because he has a bunch of Candida clones that he's planning on trying to induce seeds on with the GA3 (Gibberellic acid) we ordered.

When I make the move to a new tent, I will update the tent and light and any other info at that point.

Now, I'm high on Carnival and am hungry so I'm going to get my coleslaw and roast chicken and have dinner.

No photos today as I was rushed.

:passitleft:
The new tent will be 4X4X6.5, the same as our 2nd tent. (I have to call them tomorrow to see if it is in stock.

FP.

Hi Shed,
I'm going with 1g in 10 litres of water. That's what Ed Rosenthal recommends. He (and others) have noted that weaker is better. I have no idea what that is in ppm.
FP.
Thanks FP. I leave the calculations to @The Celt, but let us know how it goes!
The new tent will be 4X4X6.5, the same as our 2nd tent. (I have to call them tomorrow to see if it is in stock.
FP.
If it's in stock you probably should get crackin' on clearing out the study :).

So, maybe I'm not considerably older than you?

You're 20% older than me, I think. That'll qualify for the adjective (adverb? but it's in regards to a non-verb :hmmmm:) at least until I manage to reach (my current age + 20%), lol.

GSC2 is doing much better. GSC2 is younger than the other plants by about 5 days so that might be part of it. The roots looked good. No smell as far as I know. GSC2 is now standing on its own.

:thumb:.

I'm going with 1g in 10 litres of water. That's what Ed Rosenthal recommends.

I recommend silver thiosulfate ;) .

I don't water from the bottom, but Mom did her houseplants that way for a couple of years. I'm guessing, but it's probably fine for the short term. Maybe for long term, too - but if I was going to do it, I'd water (to 15% to 20% runoff) occasionally. Not to "flush nutrients," lol, but to try to remove any accumulated waste products that the plant secreted via its root system. Again, this is an opinion from someone who doesn't do it.

I water to runoff so it would take hours and hours to get the 7 gallon pot to take up 3 gallons. Only reason I would bottom water is if I had a small pot with diatomaceous earth on top that I wanted to keep dry (for fungus gnats).

I also water to runoff 10 -20%

I read somewhere that the roots of immature plants can actually drown with too much water so that's why I've been watering just enough to soak the top few inches. However, I will now water to run-off if that is your advice.

Have you been keeping track of the books for a considerable length of time (IOW, decades)? If so, that set of database entries must number in the tens of thousands by now. I probably read considerably faster than you (nothing personal, just thinking about the law of averages), but you're a good bit older than I am if you retired at one of the usual ages (65, 70), so it probably works out to be about the same.

I forgot to address this comment the other day.

I've only been tracking my books since 1999. I wish I had started earlier. The list currently is 1788 books long. Books that I start and don't finish because of lack of interest aren't assigned numbers.

I read pretty quickly, TS. I've been averaging a book a day since I retired at the end of April plus I've also been reading Jorges Cervantes' Marijuana Horticulture book. When I'm done that one, I'm planning on reading Ed Rosenthal's Beyond Buds: Marijuana Extracts—Hash, Vaping, Dabbing, Edibles and Medicines.

I took a speed reading course in Grade 8 and have been able to read quickly since then. :battingeyelashes:

I read somewhere that the roots of immature plants can actually drown with too much water so that's why I've been watering just enough to soak the top few inches. However, I will now water to run-off if that is your advice.
Watering to runoff is for a plant that has roots throughout the soil. A small plant in a big pot should be watered in a circle around the stem to just beyond where the roots were when you transplanted, and then wider as the plant (and roots) grow. It's not a good idea to saturate soil that doesn't have the roots to take up that moisture, as that's when roots can drown.

Watering to runoff is for a plant that has roots throughout the soil. A small plant in a big pot should be watered in a circle around the stem to just beyond where the roots were when you transplanted, and then wider as the plant (and roots) grow. It's not a good idea to saturate soil that doesn't have the roots to take up that moisture, as that's when roots can drown.

So, I'm watering the way I'm supposed to for now? They're currently 25, 23 and 20 days old and 8", 6" and 4" respectively.

With pro mix you can't water too much but you can water too often. just make sure to let it thoroughly dry out between waterings.

I've been weighing the pots before and after watering to determine whether they need water or not. I've also been using a moisture meter. If they're under 1000 grams and/or are at 1 or 2 on the moisture meter, they need water. I water to 1070 grams, which seems about right as per Shed's directions above.

Thanks, guys.

Hi HG - 5 plants in a 3x3 will be tight so I wouldn’t veg them a particularply long time. If it were me I’d be trying to get them ready for flower at about 4-5weeks from seed. I would top them about now and train gently, aiming for 4-6 main branches. (By train gently I mane just open the side branches out a little bit as the grow and maybe hold them down a little if needed to get the 4-6 tops roughly even in height. They will all respond a little differently in the flowering stretch and 3x3 is fairly small (thats what my tent is) so you want to still have plenty of room when you flip. :)

(oh and ‘Quadlining‘ is fairly involved and adds time. Some love it, I don’t bother with it - personally I’d suggest not doing that this time, ... ease in with your learning curves. ;))

Should I top all of my plants or just the ones that have a certain number of nodes? And, does it matter whether they're topped on a fertigating day or is it better to top them before or after fertigation day?

And, I gather I should top them before up-potting them to 3-gallon pots so that they can re-adapt after the shock to their systems?

I have transplanted and topped at the same time to no ill effect, but I think the standard is to transplant, wait a few days, and then top.

The more nodes you have below the top, the more tops you can achieve. It just takes longer and you end up with bigger plants.

So, are they big enough to top? And, if yes, all of them? I'm thinking the 4" one is still too little.

What's your hurry?

As I mentioned, topping is completely personal and depends on a number of things: how long you're going to veg, how much headroom you have, and the training you do after you top. There are no hard and fast rules about topping (nor any reason to be in a big hurry), unless you are following a specific method that requires topping at a specific node.

Since you have decided against that, there is no rush to top.

How many nodes are they and how many inches? If we only had current pics... :nomo:

Hi HG - 5 plants in a 3x3 will be tight so I wouldn’t veg them a particularply long time. If it were me I’d be trying to get them ready for flower at about 4-5weeks from seed. I would top them about now and train gently, aiming for 4-6 main branches. (By train gently I mane just open the side branches out a little bit as the grow and maybe hold them down a little if needed to get the 4-6 tops roughly even in height. They will all respond a little differently in the flowering stretch and 3x3 is fairly small (thats what my tent is) so you want to still have plenty of room when you flip. :)

What's your hurry?

As I mentioned, topping is completely personal and depends on a number of things: how long you're going to veg, how much headroom you have, and the training you do after you top. There are no hard and fast rules about topping (nor any reason to be in a big hurry), unless you are following a specific method that requires topping at a specific node.

Since you have decided against that, there is no rush to top.

How many nodes are they and how many inches? If we only had current pics... :nomo:

Those are your decisions to make HG. You’re pretty well equipped with info so now it’s just Try stuff and see! :) Experience comes over time :love: Sorry for short answer... I am travellng.:ciao:

I know these are my decisions to make but since I'm still so new at this, I don't know what decision to make. All I know is that I can't grow them too tall because they're in a tent. They're currently 27" from the light with approximately 20" more to go so they can't grow much taller than 50" give or take. I want as many colas as possible. They are currently at Day 27 for CBD1, CBD2 and GSC1, Day 25 for CBD3 and Day 22 for GSC2. Amy advised putting them into flowering by Week 4 or 5. Most of them are already at Week 4. Amy also suggested topping (?) them prior to putting them into flower. So, if I want to put them into flowering by Day 35, shouldn't I top them before then?

Also, if I top them as per Amy's initial instructions at the top of this post, it actually sounds like she wants me to do some LST instead of topping. Is that how it reads to you?

Shed asked for photos so I'll post them in the next 2 posts.

I fertigated today with 2 grams of MegaCrop to 1 gallon of water. The ones at Day 27 and 25 all took 500 ml of water and GSC at Day 22 took about 300 ml of water.

Without further ado, here are the CB Dutch Treats (CBD1, 2 & 3):

CBD1 - Day 27 - 8" Tall:

Photo 1 - CBD1.jpeg

Photo 2 - CBD1.jpeg

Photo 3 - CBD1.jpeg

CBD2 - Day 27 - 8.5":

Photo 1 - CBD2.jpeg

Photo 2 - CBD2.jpeg

Photo 3 - CBD2 SaugaView™.jpeg

CBD3 - Day 25 - 7":

Photo 1 - CBD3.jpeg

Photo 2 - CBD3.jpeg

Photo 3 - CBD3 SaugaView™.jpeg

I'll start another post for the Girl Scout Cookies.

Back
Top Bottom