Hawaii Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Three Bills to Improve Marijuana Laws

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Yesterday, the Hawaii Senate passed by overwhelming, veto-proof margins three measures that will greatly improve marijuana laws in the state:
SB 2213 passed 20-4, with one excused. This bill would allow counties to license medical marijuana dispensaries.
SB 2141 passed 24-1. This bill would increase the ratio of plants, ounces and caregivers allowed for each medical marijuana patient.
SB 2450 passed 22-3. This bill would remove criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana and replace them with a civil fine of up to $300 for a first offense and $500 for a subsequent offense.

The bills now go to the state House.

"These votes show that Hawaii's Senate supports sensible marijuana policies that will serve the best interests of state citizens," said Eric M. McDaniel, a legislative analyst with the Marijuana Policy Project. "Hawaii's most vulnerable citizens deserve safe and reliable access to their medicine, and no Hawaiian deserves to go to jail simply for using a substance that is safer than alcohol. If House members agree, I would strongly encourage them to pass these measures as well."

The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, headed by Pamela Lichty and Jeanne Ohta, and the Peaceful Sky Alliance, headed by Matt Rifkin, played crucial roles in getting these measures through the Senate.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: eNews Park Forest
Copyright: 2010 eNews Park Forest
Website: Hawaii Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Three Bills to Improve Marijuana Laws

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Yesterday, the Hawaii Senate passed by overwhelming, veto-proof margins three measures that will greatly improve marijuana laws in the state:
SB 2213 passed 20-4, with one excused. This bill would allow counties to license medical marijuana dispensaries.
SB 2141 passed 24-1. This bill would increase the ratio of plants, ounces and caregivers allowed for each medical marijuana patient.
SB 2450 passed 22-3. This bill would remove criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana and replace them with a civil fine of up to $300 for a first offense and $500 for a subsequent offense.

The bills now go to the state House.

"These votes show that Hawaii's Senate supports sensible marijuana policies that will serve the best interests of state citizens," said Eric M. McDaniel, a legislative analyst with the Marijuana Policy Project. "Hawaii's most vulnerable citizens deserve safe and reliable access to their medicine, and no Hawaiian deserves to go to jail simply for using a substance that is safer than alcohol. If House members agree, I would strongly encourage them to pass these measures as well."

The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, headed by Pamela Lichty and Jeanne Ohta, and the Peaceful Sky Alliance, headed by Matt Rifkin, played crucial roles in getting these measures through the Senate.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: eNews Park Forest
Copyright: 2010 eNews Park Forest
Website: Hawaii Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Three Bills to Improve Marijuana Laws

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

And Thank You User for this wonderful news. I knew it was in the works. Now we are getting somewhere.:thumb:

Bring it on HAWAII!

Way to go Hawaii senators.
House of Reps now do your part!

All voters in Hawaii are strongly urged to contact their House Reps and let you voice and wishes be HEARD!

we still have a way to go....

the bills need to get scheduled by the various House sub committees for hearings...

The people who need to be contacted are the chairs of the committees...

Rep Hanohano is the Public Safety Chair (rephanohano@capitol.hawaii.gov)
Rep Yamane is the Health Chair (repyamane@capitol.hawaii.gov)
Rep Karamatsu is the Judiciary Chair (repkaramatsu@capitol.hawaii.gov)

SB 2213 and 2141 have been referred to the Public Safety and Health committees
SB 2450 has been referred to the Judiciary committee

Send them e-mails, ask them to schedule hearings....

we still have a way to go....

the bills need to get scheduled by the various House sub committees for hearings...

The people who need to be contacted are the chairs of the committees...

Rep Hanohano is the Public Safety Chair (rephanohano@capitol.hawaii.gov)
Rep Yamane is the Health Chair (repyamane@capitol.hawaii.gov)
Rep Karamatsu is the Judiciary Chair (repkaramatsu@capitol.hawaii.gov)

SB 2213 and 2141 have been referred to the Public Safety and Health committees
SB 2450 has been referred to the Judiciary committee

Send them e-mails, ask them to schedule hearings....

Mahalos RoguePoet, I will make sure to get those emails circulated and get ppl contacting them!

Perhaps this will help....

There are two medical marijuana bills that crossed over from the Senate and because one received a triple referral (the other a double referral) they need to be heard in the initial committees as soon as possible. The bills are:

SB 2213 SD2 — Compassion Centers
Provides that each county has the power to establish compassion centers for the dispensing of medical marijuana. The bill also imposes a general excise tax on marijuana sales.

SB 2141 SD1 — Relating to Medical Cannibis
Increases the amount of cannabis to ten plants/five ounces. Makes identification of the site where cannabis is grown confidential. Prohibits DPS from requiring certifying physician be the primary care physician. Prohibits physicians from naming debilitating condition. Increases ratio of patient to caregiver from 1 to 4.

Both bills have been referred initially to a joint committee — the Committee on Public Safety and the Committee on Health.
COULD YOU E-MAIL THE CHAIRMAN OF BOTH COMMITTEES URGING THEM TO HEAR BOTH BILLS
The Chair of Public Safety is Rep Faye Hanohano and her email address is: rephanohano@capitol.hawaii.gov
The Chair of Health is Rep Ryan Yamane and his email address is: repyamane@capitol.hawaii.gov
Instead of giving you a form letter to send, it would be much more effective if you used your own words. It can be a short sentence simply asking that the bills be heard, or more elaborate if you so choose. Thank you so much for your support.

There is also SB 2450 which would make possession of one ounce of marijuana a civil fine. It needs to be scheduled by the Judiciary Committee...Rep Jon Riki Karamatsu... repkaramatsu@capitol.hawaii.gov

Please e-mail him and ask that SB 2450 be scheduled for a hearing....

Mahalo

we need to flood these Reps offices with e-mails (or phone calls) today (Friday) and early next week to get these scheduled....

all help is needed and appreciated....

we need to flood these Reps offices with e-mails (or phone calls) today (Friday) and early next week to get these scheduled....

all help is needed and appreciated....

Subject:please schedule a hearing for SB 2213 SD2, SB 2141 SD1, and SB 2450

Aloha Rep Faye Hanohano (sent to Ryan Yamane seperately as well)
I am writing to ask that you please schedule hearings for SB 2213 SD2 (Medical Marijuana Compassion Centers), SB 2141 SD1 (Relating to Medical Cannabis), and SB 2450 (Civil fine for possession of one ounce or less). I am very much in favor of these bills passing on to become state law. I know first hand that the Medical Marijuana laws in place for our state are inadequate, and as they stand, require that laws be broken to (at least initially) obtain plants or seeds to grow our own medicine. This has prevented me from getting my physician's recommendation and medical card, and I know this is the case with many other people in my community (especially working professionals). I know from research too that without dispensaries and organization the different treatment aspects of medical marijuana will not be fully realized. Cannabis can be grown and bred specifically to treat pain, nausea, anxiety, depression, and so forth. Plants can also be grown in such a way as to differentiate between types that allow one to be energetic or conversely to relax and/or fall asleep. These aspects of this medicine are extremely important to us that wish to utilize it, and will not be possible without much more organized and legal growing facilities. I believe California is a good example to follow in there approach to dispensaries and growing co-ops. Besides the medical usage benefits that would come with passing these bills, I know that the state could greatly benefit from an appropriate tax placed on all sales of the medical marijuana. Mahalo for your time and consideration of this very important matter.
Aaron Dietrich
Hilo, HI

**also sent the word around to everyone I could think of on FB, email list, and phonebook

:bravo::bravo::bravo::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom