Haystack's Outdoor Grow

I use both tan and black fabric pots (20/30/45 gallon)....black seem to absorb more heat, thus this might be affecting the growth of your plant. Roots should be able to "air prune" through the fabric, meaning penetrate through it to the air and then stop growing (as opposed to getting root bound).

Plants are looking GOOD!

I use both tan and black fabric pots (20/30/45 gallon)....black seem to absorb more heat, thus this might be affecting the growth of your plant. Roots should be able to "air prune" through the fabric, meaning penetrate through it to the air and then stop growing (as opposed to getting root bound).

Plants are looking GOOD!

I think you may be right. I'm still trying to figure these pots out. But they are definitely different from the old black plastic pots I'm used to.

I think you may be right. I'm still trying to figure these pots out. But they are definitely different from the old black plastic pots I'm used to.
No doubt the fabric are much better than hard pots...this was my first year using tan fabric though...makes a difference in direct sunlight I think. My GH easily gets to 90F on a hot day, so any decrease in (absorbed) heat for the roots has to be beneficial.

Just a quick update today. The weather seems to have finally turned to summer for sure. Yipee! All four plants are doing well and growing like crazy. They really seemed to love that 90 degree weather as long as they have plenty of water. I gave each of them four gallons yesterday. It seems like you cannot over water with these cloth pots. Last summer was really hot and I had a hard time with over watering or under watering in the old plastic pots. I love these pots.

The branches on the UltraViolence are mostly over 2' in length now. If this growth keeps up, they might get over 4' each. I've never had 80 or so tops 4' long before. At least not on the same plant. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. Only time will tell.

But I do have a question for anyone who has grown GG4's outdoors. The two GG4's seem to be pretty branchy with pretty big nod spacing. IS this something that is normal with the GG4 strain? If not, is there something I can do about it?

You can see how long the nodal spacing is. Most of them are 3-5". Seems a bit much to me.

You can see how tight the UltraViolence spacing is. Only an inch or two.

High Haystack,

Very nice looking grow! The Gorilla Glue is looking great. Looks like a traditional (tree shaped) specimen. Bulking up for sure!
What kind of plant is the UltraViolence? Looks like a sativa or sativa leaning hybrid. I've never seen cannabis flowering in the spring from being outdoors. Good to know that it can happen. Definitely things to avoid. The UV looks like it will give you a great stash when finished. Nice job, nice journal!

High Haystack,

Very nice looking grow! The Gorilla Glue is looking great. Looks like a traditional (tree shaped) specimen. Bulking up for sure!
What kind of plant is the UltraViolence? Looks like a sativa or sativa leaning hybrid. I've never seen cannabis flowering in the spring from being outdoors. Good to know that it can happen. Definitely things to avoid. The UV looks like it will give you a great stash when finished. Nice job, nice journal!

I'm not really sure about the UltraViolence strain. There is not much information out there. But I originally piced up a couple of them last year at one of the local dispensaries around here and I have been pleasantly surprised with it. That's why I made some clones earlier this year and saved a couple for my outdoor grow. Unfortunately I've smoked all of it that I grew from my last indoor grow. But it was really good and super stoney and relaxing.

Here are a couple pics of it from my last indoor grow after I washed it.

So it's been another week since I've last updated this journal. But they continue to grow at a nice rate. The weather has been nice with only one hot day this last week. I'm really loving how the UltraViolence is coming along with all of the HST that's been done. They just keep getting longer and longer. One of the lower big branches broke off today, but I just tied it up to a stake and hope it will heal. I'm pretty sure it will.

I've added a couple new nutrients to the grow, just like I did with my indoor grow. The additional nutrients are General Organics Bio Weed and Superthrive. Hopefully they will be a great addition. Only time will tell though.

Now I'm even thinking of going with 4x4 cloth raised beds. I an even build a canopy of them if I need to. But it would take up a lot of space on the deck. But I think a total of two with one in each bed would do just fine.

Here they are

The two GG4's growing like crazy.

The two UltraVoilence growing bushier everyday.

They just keep getting longer and longer. I've added a couple new nutrients to the grow, just like I did with my indoor grow. The additional nutrients are General Organics Bio Weed and Superthrive.

Just wondering how big you finally want these? At the current rate they will be very big...just thinking the added nutrients will make them too large (yes, such a thing!). I am currently pruning mine (12" off the top every other week at this point). Factor in their height in a month (probably all over 6') and then envision many heavy buds weighing it down. You may already have a plan for this...certainly I am in the midst of figuring it out as well.

Now I'm even thinking of going with 4x4 cloth raised beds. I an even build a canopy of them if I need to. But it would take up a lot of space on the deck. But I think a total of two with one in each bed would do just fine.

Saw those from the same company as your pots (which are nice). One consideration is that it can't be moved until harvest...whereas even 65-gallon pots can be moved by two people.

Also, what if one plant is hit with a pest? Then you are battling to save 2x plants.

Just thoughts...

Otherwise...they are looking healthy and happy!

Just wondering how big you finally want these? At the current rate they will be very big...just thinking the added nutrients will make them too large (yes, such a thing!). I am currently pruning mine (12" off the top every other week at this point). Factor in their height in a month (probably all over 6') and then envision many heavy buds weighing it down. You may already have a plan for this...certainly I am in the midst of figuring it out as well.

I haven't really thought about the total size. But I think I can handle it as long as they don't get over 7' or so. I usually use long stakes to hold everything together and it works very well. The only problem is that I only have 5' stakes right now. But they do make 7" stakes. I'll just have to buy some. And green gardeners tape works great for holding everything together. I sued it on this plant and everything was good. Some of those buds were well over a pound when they were wet. So that tape was holding a lot of weight. There was a lot more tape on the other side as well. With the size of these plants, I'll probably have to use a roll or two of tape.

Saw those from the same company as your pots (which are nice). One consideration is that it can't be moved until harvest...whereas even 65-gallon pots can be moved by two people.

Also, what if one plant is hit with a pest? Then you are battling to save 2x plants.

Just thoughts...

Otherwise...they are looking healthy and happy!

It's ok if I can't move them. I haven't really moved the 50 gallon pots too much. I just had to space them out a little bit because they are growing so much. But with the 4x4's, I'll space them out enough so I won't have to move them. And if I do have to move them, I'll get the guys here to give me a hand. The material seems to be pretty heavy duty, so I think they will hold up to dragging them a foot or so.

I haven't really thought about the total size. But I think I can handle it as long as they don't get over 7' or so. I usually use long stakes to hold everything together and it works very well. The only problem is that I only have 5' stakes right now. But they do make 7" stakes. I'll just have to buy some. And green gardeners tape works great for holding everything together. I sued it on this plant and everything was good. Some of those buds were well over a pound when they were wet. So that tape was holding a lot of weight. There was a lot more tape on the other side as well. With the size of these plants, I'll probably have to use a roll or two of tape.

Never saw/used that type of tape...interesting.

(and, yeah, those are some big ass buds!)

Never saw/used that type of tape...interesting.

(and, yeah, those are some big ass buds!)
The tape is this stuff. It works great and can be found at most garden stores and hydro stores.

Green Garden Tape

1666130582174.png

Inlike my 3x3 grow, this grow continues to amaze me. The amount of new growth every week is crazy. Three of the four are now over 5' tall now! The fourth one is not far behind, but I don't think it will ever catch up to the others. On the bigger UltraViolence, some of the tops are 3' now. I'm wondering just how tall they will get with a lot of veg season left to go. The GG4's are also doing great. A few of the larger lower branches started to break off, so I tied them up to some stakes. They show no signs of dying off yet, so hopefully they will continue to grow. I'd hate to lose them. They are getting really big.

The UltraViolets growing fast now.

GG4's look very happy!

Back
Top Bottom