Heat stressed seedling, can it be treated?

jokerlola

I have a seedling that is about a week old or so that has been growing ok on a windowsill supplemented with a grow light bulb. I think the sun wound up being too intense today and the seedling has drooped over. Besides getting it out of the heat of the windowsill, is there anything else I should do? Does this seedling look like a goner or can it recover?

065F0316-E9CF-4BA0-8300-E171EEF25726.jpeg

Looks to me as if the young roots are drowning. I say that because the medium appears a bit saturated.
An overall picture of container and medium would help.

Day 4 from sprout.jpg

Looks to me as if the young roots are drowning. I say that because the medium appears a bit saturated.
An overall picture of container and medium would help.

Day 4 from sprout.jpg
It is in a smallish terracotta pot. The grow medium looks wet because I had just sprayed the surface around it with a water bottle when I found it drooped over. The grow medium felt dry with my finger down 3 inches. It had gotten hotter than I expected. We've been having cloudy weather and muted sunlight due to forest fires so I didn't think it would get that hot and give it a good chance to start getting acclimated to full sunlight.

One thing I've noticed is that terracotta pots really dry out fast. They must soak up heat more than plastic plus they let out the moisture.

It is in a smallish terracotta pot. The grow medium looks wet because I had just sprayed the surface around it with a water bottle when I found it drooped over. The grow medium felt dry with my finger down 3 inches. It had gotten hotter than I expected. We've been having cloudy weather and muted sunlight due to forest fires so I didn't think it would get that hot and give it a good chance to start getting acclimated to full sunlight.

One thing I've noticed is that terracotta pots really dry out fast. They must soak up heat more than plastic plus they let out the moisture.
In which case I yield to @Nunyabiz.

In which case I yield to @Nunyabiz.
So I guess it's always possible it could be either problem too much water or too intense sun. I don't know if I've over watered them at certain points or not and I think they started out too wet in the peat pods. Whether or not they survive, what is the best way to water seedlings in these size pots? And are terracotta bad? Good? Or it doesn't matter?

My other ailing seedling still has some green but it's been failing since it popped out. The other 2 are alive but I don't know how healthy they are? I'm afraid to water them and I'm afraid to not water them!

5E8AB82D-69A0-4898-BF0E-81CE3FF674CA.jpeg

3D894FB1-594C-4302-8E82-AABDCC3FFAD0.jpeg

F0A5BBE2-73D0-437E-9220-80F1EF97F509.jpeg

The only pot worse than plastic is terracotta.
I would get them into fabric pots.
Is that because they dry out quickly or is there another reason? Their final pots will be 5 gallon Smart Pots. I just ran out of Solos and only have these terracotta lying around.

So those 2 seedlings that got heat stressed or sunburnt didn't make it. Is it too late to try a couple of more seeds and get any kind of decent plants? I am in Denver.

I have 1 seedling of this strain that is still alive and doing pretty good but It could wind up being a male. I would like to give myself a chance to grow at least 1 female from this strain this year. Approximately how much veg time would I have? About a month or not even that?

Every plant is different. As well as environment, strain, etc. so if your looking for a “Guestimate”, Atleast 45 days of veg in my opinion. With proper conditions.

I mean, if it starts getting too cold before they're finished you could cover them at night. Might get some pretty colors with a colder finish temp. But that's all hearsay to me, we don't get winters down here in America's ding dong LOL

I'm not out to beat any records and I only grow for fun but I want to have at least one plant of this strain to try so I guess I will pop another couple seeds. It all helps me learn and get better for next year. I'm a strictly outdoor grower and have only done clones for 4 years so this will help me be more dialed in with seeds for next spring.

Is that because they dry out quickly or is there another reason? Their final pots will be 5 gallon Smart Pots. I just ran out of Solos and only have these terracotta lying around.

they're a bit of a poor design and can hold excessive heat.

What could this be on my Harlequin seedling? I can’t see any bugs or eggs with my microscope and I sprayed with neem anyway but it is progressing. Could it be nutrient burn or a deficiency? Or too much sun?

3FC1A9B2-EAB0-43B8-818B-ECBE9893FEC2.jpeg

5E2D2999-6587-4C1F-8E94-4DFF342DD8B5.jpeg

It was happening before the neem spray and I was told it looked like bugs so I sprayed it but it is still progressing. The plant was getting about 2 hours of full morning sun and the rest on the morning it gets sun filtered through big trees and in shade during high sun and then direct sun again in the late afternoon/ early evening. Now it’s only getting the morning sun.

Ok. Searching the seedling again with the microscope, I found one bug on it. It doesn’t look like a spider mite. It is green and is oblong and has 6 legs and looks like this drawing. What could it be? I could only find one on the whole seedling.

0132DA61-421A-4C52-A749-EB30AD4273E0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom