Hello, newbie with a problem

water every day in coco mate, coco is hydro format.
start with 1/4 strength nutrients. cal/mag additive essential also for coco.
just water until you start seeing run off, they wont drown like soil. the medium will build salts up if left to dry out however; and thus, can cause issues.
i had the start of a calcium deficiency due to (i believe) not watering to run off and too much salts building up.

otherwise the girls look alright, just thirsty lol
Sounds like overwatering to me. That can cause algae build up and has done on a couple of my plants as we speak. I dont know coco all that well but its all well and good being told to water every day but if the roots havent filled the pot yet then it is getting overwatered cos it wont be finishing whats already in the pot and will cause overwatering. If the pot is bottom heavy as you say then yes you are watering too soon.
Would also explain why its the 2 plants without perlite mixed in that are causing problems.

Yeah mate as the guys have said there, quarter strength nutes to run off every day. Once the bottom fan leaves start turning yellow go upto half strength and you shouldn't need to go over that.
Coco is hydro but if the pots still heavy its gettin over watered still. The pot still needs to dry out before watering surely?

I have to disagree with my brother Bilbo who I highly respect. Not all of it, the part to let it dry out. Since I really have no direct experience here I'm going to leave it at that and hope you search for coco growers journals and read for yourself some successful journals. I might be picking nits but from the coco grows I've watched that went well, that's the way it went. :peace::)
Edit: I finally see the ? at the end of your sentence Bilbo. I think it's just different in coco and hempy watering frequency.

I have to disagree with my brother Bilbo who I highly respect. Not all of it, the part to let it dry out. Since I really have no direct experience here I'm going to leave it at that and hope you search for coco growers journals and read for yourself some successful journals. I might be picking nits but from the coco grows I've watched that went well, that's the way it went. :peace::)
Edit: I finally see the ? at the end of your sentence Bilbo. I think it's just different in coco and hempy watering frequency.
What about the algae build up and the fact its the 2 pots without perlite mixed in that are effected and showing stress signs of overwatering?

I can see what ya saying once the plant is grown and filled out the pot with roots but it doesnt make sense in my head. Every day with a smaller amount and increasing as the plant grows until eventually you are putting enough through to soak the pot and get some run off makes sense to me.
Like i said i haven't grown coco but in tryna make sense of it in my head @stoneotter lol

You might be right Bilbo. I don't have those answers.
Same here bro lol. Like i said i dont know coco but im jus doing what I do and connecting dots lol. If hes said the pot was bottom heavy when he watered aswell doesn't bode well in my head

Coco is hydro but if the pots still heavy its gettin over watered still. The pot still needs to dry out before watering surely?
Coco can still retain around 30% air even when fully saturated. It's very difficult to overwater coco.

I can see what ya saying once the plant is grown and filled out the pot with roots but it doesnt make sense in my head. Every day with a smaller amount and increasing as the plant grows until eventually you are putting enough through to soak the pot and get some run off makes sense to me.
Like i said i haven't grown coco but in tryna make sense of it in my head @stoneotter lol
We both can help and learn here I think . I do think the coco needs to be wet all the time or there will be trouble with salt buildup as others have experienced. Also if there's anything mixed in with the coco I have no idea what to think. Where's @newty and possibly @SweetSue. I really have no personal fact based ideas to share. I'm pretty sure Sue knows coco.

Coco can still retain around 30% air even when fully saturated. It's very difficult to overwater coco.
Yer but what if that particular section isnt filled out and just keeps getting saturated? Oxygen wont hang about and that water will go funky and cause the mentioned algae build up wont it?
Only way i can explain the algae build up is stagnent water cos theres no microbes or anything in coco right?

update, looking better today, still going to flush with 25% nuet strength like u guys suggested

What about the algae build up and the fact its the 2 pots without perlite mixed in that are effected and showing stress signs of overwatering?
none of the pots have perlite, the growing media is the same for every pot. i think i over watered them as babies the deformed ones but the new growth seems to be symmetrical and looks good, iv got a bag of perlite and a bag of clay balls now so on the repot they will get much more air flow and drainage.

I don't know if it's just the lighting or camera or my screen but they look a little light green. Is it me? If light then the always wet and always nuted water advice will be tested if they green up more?
i thought this maybe the strain, to me the leaves look lovely when they are all pointing up. i do see what u mean they are a little light looking but im using a veg only lamp so maybe its the colour spectrum on the leaves.

yes before i put this post i watered them, then worried then got on here, infact the next day when lights went on they looked much better, looked like it helped, i wanna flush them with 25% neuts tonight and make sure i get the run off, then make sure i do this everytime, this i have learnt. bit late but not too late.

Back
Top Bottom