Help! How do I get rid of these fungus gnats?

xave420

i have 2 plants in my closet under 150w hps and 6500k cfl's. I have had a problem with fungus gnats mainly on and in the soil, i havent seen them in the leaves. I bought safer yard and garden insect spray and sprayed the surface of the soil thoroughly. Yet i have seen them a few days later again.. does anyone know how to get rid of these pests for good???

SNS 203 Soil Drench Spray | Sierra Natural Science

SNS-203 Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench and Foliage Spray is made up of pure Rosemary and Clove botanical extracts. The botanicals are all food grade GRAS (generally recognized as safe) materials. SNS-203 Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench is exempt from EPA registration under minimum risk pesticides exempted under FIFRA section 25(b).

SNS-203 Kills and Repels Fungus Gnats, Root Aphids, Thrips, Shore Flies and White Flies.
How It Works

High moisture levels in soils and around pots encourage the development of fungus gnats, shore flies and other pests.
Fungus gnats will feed on fungi and decaying organic material in the soil. If a fungal food source is not readily available, fungus gnats may feed directly on plants. During the propagation of cuttings, fungus gnats may feed upon the callus. This may slow down or completely inhibit rooting. They can also damage the roots as they feed upon seedlings and potted plants. On many thick and succulent stemmed plants, larvae may tunnel into stems and cause plants to wilt and die. Larval feeding upon young roots encourages the development of root and stem rots such as Pythium. When this occurs, plants will be stunted with reduced growth and leaf drop.
Shore flies feed upon algae and do not directly feed upon plants. However, their frass (droppings) on plants, in addition to their presence, may be objectionable to customers and may carry other diseases.
SNS-203 Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench active ingredients, attack fungus and algae and cause the pests to dehydrate their body fluids and dry up.
When used as a foliage spray SNS-203 will control and eliminate Greenhouse Thrips, Fungus Gnats, Root Aphids, White Flies and Shore Flies.

Our Product has been tested in our lab on delicate new growth, clones, cuttings, tomatoes, roses and other plants.
Uses

SNS-203 Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench can be used on a wide variety of plants, vegetables, and even trees. When applying the product take caution not to apply to any buds on the plant, in doing so this could result in burning the buds. SNS-203 can be applied to soil or sprayed on fruits, vegetables, and plants varying from; apples, apricots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cherries, chives, corn, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, fuchsia, roses, flowers, houseplants, etc.

SNS-203 Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench is fully bio-degradable and is non-toxic to animals.
Directions for use

Test drench or spray for Phytotoxicity on a small area of the soil or plant before use. Do not apply in direct sunlight or under grow lamps, let plants cool off before applying SNS-203.
Soil Drench: Shake well before mixing. Mix 2-4oz of SNS-203 per one (1) gallon of water to make ready-to-use (RTU) drench solution. Thoroughly drench affected and surrounding area with RTU. Reapply drench if necessary.
Foliage Spray: Shake well before mixing. Mix 2-6oz of SNS-203 per one (1) gallon of water to make ready-to-use (RTU) spray solution. Spray foliage to point of runoff.
Repeat application 5 to 7 day intervals or as needed.
Thorough uniform coverage of plant soil or plant surface i.e. essential for good pest control.
Thoroughly wash all food areas and food materials contacted with soap and water.
As with any natural oil based product Do Not Spray directly under Sunlight or Grow lights this could damage to the plant..
Active Ingredients
Clove Oil 1.5%
Rosemary Oil 0.53%
Other Ingredients 97.97%
Available in two sizes
16 ounce concentrate makes up to 8 gallons
1 gallon concentrate makes up to 64 gallons

SNS 203 Soil Drench Spray | Sierra Natural Science

Ive tried a few things to wipe em out.. You need to stop the adults from laying any more eggs in the soil, so once the adults die, its important to stop the hatching ones from re entering the soil and keep them going..
They piss me off!! Ive just got tonnes of sticky traps about and ive tried sprays but some dont work.. And i cant get any SNS stuff here in Australia..:( Some sand on the top soil is good to stop adults laying more eggs.. Goodluck , Smokemup:)

Have you tried asking the manufacturer?
sales@sierranaturalscience.com
Phones: (831) 757-1702
FAX: (831) 757-1909
Toll Free: 877-626-5505

Ive tried a few things to wipe em out.. You need to stop the adults from laying any more eggs in the soil, so once the adults die, its important to stop the hatching ones from re entering the soil and keep them going..
They piss me off!! Ive just got tonnes of sticky traps about and ive tried sprays but some dont work.. And i cant get any SNS stuff here in Australia..:( Some sand on the top soil is good to stop adults laying more eggs.. Goodluck , Smokemup:)

As with all pests, you need to disrupt their life cycle. Fungus gnats lay eggs in moist soil, hatch to larvae then pupate into gnats. Get some yellow sticky traps to catch the adults and some beneficial nematodes to wipe out the larvae. There is a specific species that works great on fungus gnats: Steinernema feltiae - Google it, I just got some from Arbico Organics and my gnat problem was gone in ~2 weeks. It might take a few applications spread over a month or so to ensure you get them all. Then just be sure you practice good grow room hygiene and that no other houseplants are harboring the pest. Also, like Evo-Rat-93 said, keep the top couple inches dry (with perlite or equivalent) to prevent the moist environment for reproduction. Best of luck!

Honestly the sticky traps (must be yellow) are enough to stop fungus gnats by themselves.

A little Diatomacious Earth wont hurt either and protects from thrips too. Only problem is D.E kills your helpful worms too.

Good sticky traps will distrupt fungus gnat life cycles within a few days. and within a week or so youll have no more then a handful or none at all.

SNS says

We are not registered to sell in Australia at this time. We have shipped samples to Australia but it's not legal for us to sell there at this time. We will be moving in that direction in the coming years.

I would contact them and ask for samples. ;)

Back
Top Bottom