Fungus Gnats

GrizzlyBear

Has anyone found anything organic to control fungus gnats?

The sticky traps don't seem to work as unless they happen to land on them. The liquid traps work but not on these pests. I don't want to actually spray anything on the plants.

Lots you can try. You can make a garlic tea by steeping crushed garlic which is anti-fungal and will remove their food supply. You can spread a thin layer of diatomaceous earth on top which slices them up and completely eliminates them. Or I have been told you can just spread a layer of perlite on top and that stops them too. I haven't tried that one myself yet.

Good luck! Die fungus gnats, die!!! :Namaste:

HI Grizzly,
here's a home recipe for gnats by Jimmy6k:

One quart h2o (I use tap), One cap of Hydrogen Peroxide, & a small drop of liquid Dish detergent > put in a spray bottle > Shake well > Spray the leafs & medium generously once a day for 3 days > Gnats & Larva gone.

I know you said you don't want to spray leaves, but the above can be used on the medium. :)

Also, recommended By KingJohnC:
For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia earth

Google mosquito dunks

Sierra Natural Science | Science Engineered natural pesticides sns-203

put some slices of patato on the soil to catch the larva raplace the slices vhen they start drying you can se the fucking litle shit heads walk around

Lots of good ideas, thanks. Is there a liquid that will attract them? I could put it in a regular gnat trap. I have experimented but have not hit on anything that worked.

The best way to get rid of fungus gnats is this...

Get yellow, and blue sticky cards and put one on each pot where your stem meets the soil.

Next

Get mosquito dunks and crush 1 up per a 5 gallon bucket and water your plants. Mosquito dunks are a bacteria that feeds on fungus gnat larvae and it works great.

If your garden has a very bad infestation, get Azamax or Azatrol and do a soil drench followed by step 1 and step 2...

This should completely eliminate the fungus gnats within a week or 2.

Make sure you do these steps for at least 1 month, a fungus gnats life cycle is 30 days, so repeat treatments are necessary if you want to fully eliminate them.

For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous earth

https://www.homedepot.com Mosquito Dunks 6 Pack

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-203

Wow you guys all have good solutions and sadly I know most of them work from experience. The cinnamon remedy the diatomaceous earth neem oil,sticky cards to a varying degree. In my grows these are the most common enemy the little fuckers. Grow 1,2,6 have had them. Havent personally tried the potatoe but I knew about it I just like potatoes and they arent getting any of em from me haha.

CO Finest has the lest expensive solution, only I've read that one inch of coarse sand on top will cut their wings off as they try to reach the larva.

Back
Top Bottom