help! seedling problems

politoed

hey guys. so i have these seedlings and some are scaring me a bit
1E40861E-B0E1-4284-80FF-F3723B45719F.jpeg
901AB563-D8C0-4451-BF2E-F92786156815.jpeg

19C5629E-7758-4990-BB9C-0493AF1F38FE.jpeg

the two blue dreams at the top developed some discoloration on the leaves 2 days ago and its getting worse.

the third image is a gorilla glue that actually sprung first of these 10 seeds and looked super healthy. then 2 days later it hadnt grown much and the leaves started to wilt. at this point it looks dead to me.

plants are in a 2x4 tent with moving air
@New420Guy Seeds
avg temp 78°F
RH around 50%
t5 4’ grow light 24”(ish) from seedlings
watering with ph 6.5 dechlorinated tap water
medium is 1 part perlite, 1 part organic vermiculite, 1.5 parts organic soil from a local nursery

help :(

The mix looks a bit woodsy to me for young little saplings. Also, you may have experienced slight bleaching on the leaves, maybe that light is too close. The good news is, most of your plants look fine and should pull through. Next time, start your plants in peat/perlite mix maybe a little Earthworm castings and that's it(If you have access to HP Promix, that's what I use). They don't need much for the first two weeks of development. If you prefer bagged, go with black gold seedling mix, it has a bit of yucca as well, BONUS(It's so airy and fluffy). Good Luck and Keep it Green.

The mix looks a bit woodsy to me for young little saplings. Also, you may have experienced slight bleaching on the leaves, maybe that light is too close. The good news is, most of your plants look fine and should pull through. Next time, start your plants in peat/perlite mix maybe a little Earthworm castings and that's it(If you have access to HP Promix, that's what I use). They don't need much for the first two weeks of development. If you prefer bagged, go with black gold seedling mix, it has a bit of yucca as well, BONUS(It's so airy and fluffy). Good Luck and Keep it Green.
what do you mean woodsy? like literal pieces of wood? i did see what appears to be composted christmas tree leaves.

the blue dreams leaves are starting to curl up a bit too. do you think theyre being burned by the contents of the soil? or the light? i started them around 30" and moved the light a bit closer after that.

What I mean is, baby seedlings like SUPER airy starting mixes. You could literally use just Peat and perlite(the seed has enough energy for 1.5-2 weeks). I've also started babies in Coco in the past with no issues(beautiful white roots and didn't even PH the water). Think FLUFFY. Seedlings are so fragile at this stage, after two weeks or so you don't have to baby them as much since they are established and vigorously growing. I usually introduce a light feeding at 2 weeks.

What I mean is, baby seedlings like SUPER airy starting mixes. You could literally use just Peat and perlite(the seed has enough energy for 1.5-2 weeks). I've also started babies in Coco in the past with no issues(beautiful white roots and didn't even PH the water). Think FLUFFY. Seedlings are so fragile at this stage, after two weeks or so you don't have to baby them as much since they are established and vigorously growing. I usually introduce a light feeding at 2 weeks.
ahh yes. the mix is actually pretty fluffy! super light and even after a watering you can see its airy and loose. what do you think was the cause of this issue? possibly weak seed stock? i was warned the blue dreams werent looking too good after i put the order in, but they sprouted nice and seemed to be good for the first few days. could it be genetic? wouldnt the other strains be suffering if it was nute/light/ph related?

so i have lowered the lights to 18 inches. gonna check the soil ph when i get home. make sure im in the mid to low 6s.

any other course of action that i should take here? it feels bad watching them sit there sickly

I would have. That t5 l lowered right on top of the seedlings or you will get alot of stretch. Probably would of been better off leaving the vermiculite out out your mix it really holds moisture. Also what about watering are you establishing a good wet and dry cycle with the emphasis on dry.
they went into the cups 6 days ago.. ive only watered them twice after the cups basically totally dried out. on the initial planting i did a light watering just to moisten the medium, then misted the tops a few times. then 'watered' for the first time thursday nite after the cups had essentially entirely dried out.

Sometimes your "sickly" ones turn out to be your best one, other times you fight it the whole way and a constant battle. It happens just like kids from the same parents don't all turn out the same (way genetics is), and have one who isn't as "healthy" or just grows up differently than their siblings.

I use a sprayer for the first week or so, they don't need a lot of water and too much will cause you issues and you want the roots to kind of go looking for water as makes for a stronger root system. Also personally I don't spray the leaves but not sure if it matters and that probably varies on kind of lights you using as some it will cause issues (think magnifying glass and the sun). You have drain holes in your cups yes? Sometimes I bottom feed the water using the holes in my cups for the first couple weeks, that way you not drenching the soil too much.

I use a sprayer for the first week or so, they don't need a lot of water and too much will cause you issues and you want the roots to kind of go looking for water as makes for a stronger root system. Also personally I don't spray the leaves but not sure if it matters and that probably varies on kind of lights you using as some it will cause issues (think magnifying glass and the sun). You have drain holes in your cups yes? Sometimes I bottom feed the water using the holes in my cups for the first couple weeks, that way you not drenching the soil too much.
thanks for the advice. i do have drain holes on the bottom. i guess since one seemingly healthy child just randomly died, im stressing about these two. i will chill out and let whatever happens happen.

thanks for the advice. i do have drain holes on the bottom. i guess since one seemingly healthy child just randomly died, im stressing about these two. i will chill out and let whatever happens happen.

Yep a "let nature take it's course" kind of thing. Stressing over every little thing and keep changing the variables due to that stress will bite you in the backside more often than just leaving them alone and keep on keeping on ;), as they adapt better than us humans and it's harder to adapt if the environment keeps going all over the map from one extreme to another ;).....that and causing yourself extra stress kinda defeats the whole purpose of toking and growing anyway ;) :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom