Help - Wilting fan leaves - Convinced it's not over watering

static123

Hi

so today I popped in to the grow room to give them a water and feed and found them like this.
2016-11-03_16_26_35.jpg

2016-11-03_16_26_48.jpg

2016-11-03_16_26_39.jpg

400w hps strain is CBD Critical mass and soil is Canna Terra Professional Plus.

The last time I watered was 5 days ago and I waited for the soil to dry out a few inches down and when the pots feel light, so I am sure there not overwatered.

Temps are a bit of a battle as its in a new grow room in a converted garage here in the uk. Its dropped down to 19 in there when light have been of but I should have fixed that now so should be around 20 21 ish, with lights on its 27 / 8 at the tops of the plants, RH is up and down from 40 - 55 with a low drop around 33 but mostly its between 40 - 55.

all the other times I have watered it was with plain PH 6.5 water and today was there first feed, its was the following.

2L water, 1ml cal mag 1ml biobizz grow 0.5ml metta boost.

I was thinking it was under watering that has caused this but its now been 4 hours and there still looking the same, whats your thoughts on this, should I give them more time to perk up if its under watering ? Any help advice would be ace.

Big thanks as always

IDK anything about your soil but I did read it holds moisture well. I'm betting on over-watering even though you've ruled it out. I could be wrong, but your plants have the over-watered look and do not appear under watered. If they were under watered, they would have responded in a matter of minutes. Soil being dry in the top few inches tells you nothing about how wet the roots are. All the water is down in the very bottom of the pot. Compare their weight to a pot with just dry soil.

IDK anything about your soil but I did read it holds moisture well. I'm betting on over-watering even though you've ruled it out. I could be wrong, but your plants have the over-watered look and do not appear under watered. If they were under watered, they would have responded in a matter of minutes. Soil being dry in the top few inches tells you nothing about how wet the roots are. All the water is down in the very bottom of the pot. Compare their weight to a pot with just dry soil.
Thanks for your reply, the pots did fell very light compared to when first watered, if this is an over watering problem what are my options with getting them back to life ? thank again

Oh bugger, and here I am feeling confident that it needed watering, this is the first time with this soil so lesson learnt, its odd tho as the pots did seem very light. So I have given 2L of water to already over watered plants, I am guessing I just need to wait and let them dry out like you suggested, I have tuned off the humidifier so the RD will be around 35 now and pointed the two fans i have towards the pots and the extraction fan is on full, is there anything else you guys can suggest ? do you think there be ok ?

Thanks for your reply, the pots did fell very light compared to when first watered, if this is an over watering problem what are my options with getting them back to life ? thank again

it looks like over watering to me. just allow plants to dry out and they will perk up. pots will be really light when they are dry and ready to water.

Yep. Walk away and let them dry out.
When you think they need water, they don't.
When you absolutely know they need water, then they might. :cheesygrinsmiley:
But seriously, droopy leaves usually means over-watered or some other problem. When a plant is thirsty, the stems and branches holding up the top leaves are the first to droop. The leaves themselves will be OK but the plant will not be able to hold them up as well with the low amount of water being pumped up into those upper stems.
Usually I'd say to try and get a look at the roots and the bottom soil, but in those pots, that's probably not an option.

he should still be able to see what roots are coming out through the bottom. that would indicate and rot issues from over watering. have a look at the roots and see if they are white or if they smell funny or look brown or slimey. theres no perlite in the soil which means it will be less airy. you will know if plants are mega dry cos plants will wilt and when you water with in 30mins they start to stand back up.

40-55rh is slightly low for this time in growth but i doubt that is the issue. Just give it a few days and see if they perk up. advice is do nothing for now.

Hi guys, odd but they seem to be looking better this morning, I moved the light up away from them some more but apart from that i have done nothing else, could heat be a factor ? one does seen to have some the claw tho.

2016-11-04_10_12_17.jpg

2016-11-04_10_12_32_HDR.jpg

2016-11-04_10_12_09.jpg

I have a couple of questions/suggestions. Are they sitting directly on the floor? Is the floor cold? You want to keep the soil warm too, not just the canopy. Cold soil can cost you an entire grow. It can also prevent your soil from drying out. Do you have a fresh air intake and extractor? If you have a closed system....no in and out air....you need to supplement co2. Is that black hose as humidifier/vaporizer? Do you have a heater in there?
The popular consensus is overwatering. I think this may be true. If it is, I think it is caused by cold soil or insufficient co2.

Wow - quite a difference! :thumb:
Probably they dried out a little and got happy.
If your temp's at the canopy were 27/28, it is slightly warm but would not be enough to cause stress, IMO. How far away are the lights?

I have a couple of questions/suggestions. Are they sitting directly on the floor? Is the floor cold? You want to keep the soil warm too, not just the canopy. Cold soil can cost you an entire grow. It can also prevent your soil from drying out. Do you have a fresh air intake and extractor? If you have a closed system....no in and out air....you need to supplement co2. Is that black hose as humidifier/vaporizer? Do you have a heater in there?
The popular consensus is overwatering. I think this may be true. If it is, I think it is caused by cold soil or insufficient co2.

Hi thank for your help, the plants are on the floor and the floor temp is 25 according to the test i just did, altho this is with the lights on ill need to repeat this test when the lights are off. The grow is in a small tent with an excretion fan on the out side puling air from the tent through a carbon filter to the out side of the house the in take is through a vent open on the side of the tent. The black hose is connected to a humidifier and is on constant, I am struggling to get over 50% RH.

Wow - quite a difference! :thumb:
Maybe they dried out a little(?).
If your temp's at the canopy were 27/28, it is slightly warm but should not be enough to cause stress, IMO. How far away are the lights?

Hi thanks again for the help, yes the temp at canopy is around that perhaps dropping a little now i have moved the lights away, I just checked and its 25 / 6 the distance the light is from tops is 13"

so you guys still think over watering ?

Thanks again :thumb:

I do think it is from too much water, but I also think 13" is too close for an HPS light. I use a 600W bulb and would not go that close. 16"-18" is as close as I let it get.

I agree with PITA, but would also recommend making sure your floor is not freezing out your roots. If they are cold, it is likely that an entire lights on cycle would not warm them as far as would be needed to keep them from dropping too far at night. If and when my plants have issues, one of the first things I do is to raise the light. If you sprained your ankle it would not heal if you kept running full speed. Until I know what the issue is..I like to give them a chance to relax and start working on improving.
Judging from your first pics, I still think it was too wet. When the stems point upward but the leaves sag, it is a good sign of over watering. If the leaf and the stem both sag...good sign of under watering. A perfectly healthy leaf is dead flat. When they become puffy, twisted, curled, droopy, etc...you start looking for issues. Many issues, including deficiencies, are caused by too much water.

Hello,

I just wanted to do a very quick update on how they look now, they had a flush a week ago and have been on plain water since (organic PH) 6.5 and are yellowing up quick. I have learnt a lot this second grow and I am sure ill take it to the next and get a healthier result. its 8 weeks tomorrow but i think ill hold off for a few more days before I chop. Here are a few pics, and big thanks again.
2017-02-07_20_24_15.jpg

2017-02-07_20_25_02.jpg

2017-02-07_20_32_30.jpg

2017-02-07_20_31_57.jpg

Back
Top Bottom