Hempy Solo Cup Germination: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

Just up potted the KO Kush and Peyote Critical to their big lots. It's It Punch are both too small to upgrade.
IMG_20200510_122605.jpg

Hempy Solo Cup Germination

You’ll need:
  • perlite (I prefer coarse)
  • strainer you’re rinse perlite
  • water for diluted nutrients
  • 2 Solo cups (I like the 16 oz size)
  • lid for Solo cup
  • drip saucer to place under cup

I use a leather awl to poke the hole and then cut a circle with scissors. You can also burn a hole, but that wasn’t an option for me.

I have disposable pipette a for filling capsules. They come in handy here too.

I keep a glass of clean water to rinse the pipette, emptying right down the drain each time so I don’t pollute the rinse water

On Felipe’s advice, drop that seed pointed end up to help the emerging seedling shake off the cap. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Leave the heating pad on 24 hours a day until you have a sprout.

Autos get transplanted the day they lift their heads from the perlite. Photos are left to grow past the outer edges of the cup before transplanting, our next tutorial.

On Felipe’s advice, drop that seed pointed end up to help the emerging seedling shake off the cap. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thank you so much for this great tutorial SweetSue!

I've been searching for days for what you've beautifully laid out here. It was very hard to find someone with a straight answer about watering and the quantity thereof, when germinating in hempy cups. Thank you again!

Do you really transplant Autoflowers as soon as they sprout? How is the little sprout any different from a photoperiod at that point; won't it be too fragile to pluck out and put in another pot of perlite?

quick tip :

for quick clean holes in a hempy cup - heat a nail head up with small torch or strong lighter - should only take a few seconds. place the heated nail head on the spot you want the hole - it will melt through in a millisecond leaving a fairly clean, easy to make hole, with no cutting or poking of stuff.
I use a soldering iron. Makes a smaller hole but doesn't seem to be much of an issue after the first couple of waterings. I do have to push the perlite from around the hole after the first couple of waterings, though.

That's pretty good idea you leave the cup soaking in nutrients before the germinate? Pretty cool though it work with clay balls what ph did u run it at as seedling?

The clay balls, like Hydroton, might be a bit big (not enough surface contact with the seed) to work consistently well, but I never tried it.

Ph should be the same as the rest of the grow I'd imagine but I don't grow hydro so...

Back
Top Bottom